Heroic Adventures are a little more luck based than I Anticipated

So lately I’ve been doing a lot of adventures, primarily Dungeon Run, Dalaran Heist and Tombs of Terror (completed monster hunt back in the day and it has less replayability). I’ve especially been doing heroic modes, although no anomaly modes, I’m currently 4/5 wings in Dalaran Heist and probably one more successful run from finishing the third wing of Tombs of Terror.

One of the things that has surprised me is how luck based the adventures are. Now I’m no idiot, I know this game is luck based and to some degree it is inevitable that sometimes you get unlucky and even the best deck can go end in disaster. My problem is that I am finding that there doesn’t actually seem to be that much of a skill factor, like okay there is one, but it is nowhere near as much as I anticipated.

For instance today in wing 3 of Tombs of Terror I was playing Brann, deck 3 hero power 3, I had a very strong decked with a lot of good synergy, but also quite a bit of discover mechanics. I was utterly steamrolling every boss I came across. Then I came across Illidara Sunsdawn (minion buffs when a discover card is played) and she got the perfect opening hand with double Brazen Zealot and a bunch of tokens. My super OP deck drew a little badly and was utterly obliterated.

Did another run with Brann, similar strength, less discover mechanics, same boss. Except she didn’t draw as badly and it was as easy as the first boss of a normal run (no exaggeration).

There is so much luck, sometimes you get offered all the bad buckets, sometimes your first pick is elemental or mech synergy and you don’t get offered another bucket of that type. Sometimes you get garbage picks of passive and treasures, and they do range heavily in power.

Then its the bosses, some are just so much more powerful than others… Mothergloop in dungeon run is a great example, basically pray to God that you draw well and win by turn 7 or so, or you are done. A.F.Kay is another example. Then there is Togwaggle, who can either be a pushover with a bad deck or literally impossible with a perfect deck depending on his RNG.

I don’t want to make this too long or too ranty, because I could give dozens of examples, and for anyone who does these dungeon crawler adventures they probably have their own thoughts?

But does anyone have similar experiences? Because I’m kind of disappointed by how luck based it is. Some of the bosses are so much harder than others, and sometimes the best, most fun deck is just one hard boss or one bad draw away from it being over.

What do people think? I recognize perhaps I’m just more unusually unlucky, but still. Part of me wishes there was a little more skill here and little less luck (but still a fair amount of luck, a little bit makes it fun).

1 Like

That’s exactly the reason I never bothered with the Heroic versions. I just don’t have the luck necessary to last me 8 rounds (12 in the final Dalaran Heist chapter). I will always at some point get a terrible starting hand and mulligan it into another terrible hand (for instance, I once had a run where more than two-third of my deck was 4 mana or less. Drew a 6+ mana hand, mulliganed it entirely, got a 7+ mana hand and my first few turns were redrawing the cards I mulliganed, GG). Not worth the frustration.

It’s all rng, you only have 1 life and a lot of bosses are unbalanced.
After the rumble disaster they somewhere stated that they would keep an eye on balance and change things if needed, but that was just another lie.

Every now and then I play a couple of runs, because i hope to get some luck to actually enjoy the run, but usually I close the game after losing a run to some BS and regret that I even tried.

The balance of bosses is just all over the place, I’ve spent a lot of time in the third Wing of Tombs of Terror on heroic lately and some of those fights are mental.

I think Kasmut might be one of the most rediculous fights I’ve ever seen, basically win by turn 6 or you will probably lose. Usually doable when she is boss three, if she is boss four flip a coin if your run is over.

Also the Dire Bat is really annoying, it’s not hard, just tedious and almost always takes two to three times longer than most bosses. (Also Kham if he gets lucky and with class cards and the Spectral dagger).

Just today I was doing the lich boss and I was doing quite well on stable hp, then I got an alex to the face and a minion on the board hit me for six, next turn fireball frostbolt. I really felt like I was rewarded for my skill.

Then I came across her on the next run and utterly curb stomped her.

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I have a lot of fun… but it’s the worst feeling to have a super fun/strong deck and then your run just ends because of bad RNG.

1 Like

I don’t know much about heroic adventures, but that shaman with double battlecry, or double something, in Dalaran Heist is not my friend. On the bright side, the non-heroic version sometimes loses a turn due to Overload. I forget if he ever faced the wrath of a full Pogo-Hopper army.

I’ve tried the Lich King adventure lately, and it’s less luck based. You can make a custom deck for almost all bosses, and all the ones up to the Lich King are beatable. The Lich King himself is a nightmare. I still haven’t beat him with one class, let alone nine classes.