Heartstone is pay to win game!

Im new and rank 39 and play against deck that are rank 15+ and I only had basic cards in my deck…

Congratulations, you’ve described digital card games.

Hearthstone is better than most though in that you get plenty of free packs you can use to build a strong deck. There are meta decks you can make with the dust from those packs, even what’s arguably the best deck in the format, bomb Hunter.

Not only have I done this myself (although I made a slightly suboptimal Burgle Rogue just for fun, Burgle Rogue is a bad deck and I figured at those ranks it would be fine - I was right) but I just got a friend of mine into the game, he’s never played Hearthstone before, and he hit rank 24 in a day without spending money and crafted a complete Bomb Hunter without spending money by the time he was rank 32.

On top of this, something I learned when I started a fresh account to explore the new player experience myself, those players are BAD. REALLY BAD. Burgle Rogue is bad and loses horribly to most meta decks, except at those ranks where I carried about a 70% win rate against Zul’Jin Hunter all the way to rank 18. With a suboptimal Burgle Rogue deck.

It’s more than doable. You just need to do the research and build a decent budget deck. Zoolock, bomb Hunter and Murloc Shaman are all solid options, as is token Druid

Also, deck has nothing to do with rank. There are no “rank 15 decks” and you were not playing rank 15 players

Some time ago, I created a second account to get the Morgl skin, cause none of my friends is playing hearthstone.
My experience was, that ranks 50-25 feel more like playing arena.
Most of my opponents didn’t have any 1 drops in they’re decks (maybe they just don’t know how important they are and thought they’re just bad, which reminds me of myself when I started playing hearthstone), so they passed on turn 1 most of the time and i was able to coin out my 2 drop.
I faced a lot Mages from rank 50 to 40 with some Hunters and Warlocks here and there. I played a mage myself.
The closer I came to rank 30, the more Warriors and Priests showed up.
The armor stacking and healing was a little annoying I have to admit, but nothing you can’t handle.
Most of the time I was on a win streak and my opponents didn’t really know how to trade properly cause they were obviously lacking experience, so I was climbing pretty fast.

I’ve gotta say, Rank 50-25 is actually a nice place and it was a good experience, even though you face the same decks, cause it’s mostly mid-range and aggro decks due to the limited card pool.
I wish I could come back from time to time, just to have a different, more casual experience beside the main game.
So all in all I enjoyed the climb.

About the p2w thing I have to say, that I can’t agree on that.
From rank 50-25, including the practice mode, I got 10 RoS, 4 Boomsday, 4 Rastakhan, 5 Witchwood and 21 Classic Packs. That’s a lot.
I got some nice cards from my packs.
The Classic packs gave me a “Nat Pagle” and a “Deathwing”.
From Witchwood I got “Glinda Crowskin”.
And I bought one RoS pack with gold, that gave me a “Scargil” and a golden “Fel Lord Betrug” in the same pack.
I shredded all the cards and crafted a golden “Whizbang”, as soon as I reached rank 25, since it’s my second account.

Some positive things I have to mention, is
my opponents never roped nor were they spamming emotes. That was kinda refreshing.

The climb from rank 25 on is different story.
This is where hearthstone actually begins and I feel like some more card packs or gold, would make it easier to get into the real game.

So here are the decks I used to climb.
I improved my deck over the course of time.

Rank 50-35 get rekt

Class: Mage

Format: Standard

Year of the Dragon

2x (1) Elven Archer

2x (1) Goldshire Footman

2x (1) Mirror Image

2x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze

2x (2) Frostbolt

2x (2) Hench-Clan Hogsteed

2x (2) Murloc Tidehunter

1x (3) Acolyte of Pain

2x (3) Raid Leader

2x (3) Razorfen Hunter

2x (3) Shattered Sun Cleric

1x (3) SN1P-SN4P

1x (4) Chillwind Yeti

2x (4) Fireball

1x (4) Polymorph

2x (4) Water Elemental

1x (6) Boulderfist Ogre

1x (7) Flamestrike

AAECAf0EBk1a7Af7DJYNn7cDDIECuwKFA4sD4ASWBYoHmgfQB7wI+QrHnQMA

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Rank 35-25 get rekt

Class: Mage

Format: Standard

Year of the Dragon

2x (1) Elven Archer

2x (1) Goldshire Footman

2x (1) Mirror Image

1x (1) Saronite Taskmaster

2x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze

1x (2) Amani Berserker

2x (2) Frostbolt

2x (2) Hench-Clan Hogsteed

1x (3) Acolyte of Pain

1x (3) Microtech Controller

2x (3) Raid Leader

1x (3) Razorfen Hunter

1x (3) SN1P-SN4P

1x (4) Cult Master

1x (4) Defender of Argus

2x (4) Fireball

1x (4) Polymorph

2x (4) Water Elemental

1x (6) Boulderfist Ogre

1x (7) Flamestrike

1x (9) Burly Shovelfist

AAECAf0EDE2BAvsFlgarBuwH+wyWDYyAA+yMA6CeA5+3Awm7AoUDiwOWBYoHmge8CPkKx50DAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

1 Like

No doubt it’s pay to win if you want to compete with top tier players with multiple decks, but it’s definitely doable on the free to play end…just takes a lot of time and dedication.
Find a deck that is relatively low in cost or that has a lot of replacements that can be used and work around that. Not all flashy cards are the best cards and have good if not identical replacements that can be used. Lot of valuable common/rare cards that can be crafted to make a better deck.

go face! in game go face! in real life, go face!

I just started playing like 3 months ago, havent spent a nickel and am up to rank 17 right now. Ive been playing the same evolving decknsince the beginning, built around cards I got in packs. Its a Mage deck with a ton of 1 mana spells, a few 2 mana spells, two arcane intellects, Sorcerers Apprentice, Mana Cyclone, Questing Adventurer, Messenger Raven, Cosmic Anomaly and Archmage Antonidas.

Recently, I made a Murloc deck with all of the cheap murlocs plus a few rares, 4 of which Id gotten in packs and the rest O crafted, no epics and no legendaries. I won 9 games in a row today with this deck. It even runs that 2/2 that gives minions plus 1 attack for three mana. And before I crafted more murlocs, I was running Novice Engineer, Frostwolf whatever (the 4/4 for 5 that gets +1/1 for every friendly minion), Stormwind Champion, the 4/5 for 5 that does 3 to the enemy as a baytlecry, Gnomish Inventor and Shudderwock, which Id gotten out of a pack.

The point is, the first iyeration of that deck used a majority of basic cards that I already had, like the ones mentioned plus Bloodlust and the basic murlocs. I was winning with it at rank 20.

I make sure to do my quests everyday. I do the tavern brawl every week for a free pack. I beat all the PvE games that were free for free packs. And now Ive taken to arena.

As for Arena, for me its better to spend 150 on Arena than just buying a pack. I tried the Heartharena site, but didnt like it. I just built I Control Mage deck with Alexstrasa, two Firelands Portlas, and a bunch of early removal synergy, like Magic Dart Frog, Arcane Missiles, two Frostbolts, and other good stuff like Cone of Cold, Frost Nova, and two Ray of Frost, along with Soot Spewer.

I also have that Vengeful scribe for 6 who summons 4 1/1’s, and a follow up play with a 4/4 for 5 who has “Inspire:Give all your minions +1/1”, which is really good. I also have a 1/8 Inspire:Heal your hero 2 and Fallen Hero, which makes fireblast deal 2, and a minion who makes my hero power free that turn. These all work reall well together, especially with all the pinging, so I can get to my late game cards like the 9/9 rush and Power of Creation. Alextrasa plus two Firelands Portals is basically goodnight, and I also run two other spells, Flame Cannon and another which does 8 to a minion. Oh, and two Arcane intellects really help refuel, especially late, or expand your options if you get control early.

Sorry I dont know all the names. I checked it on Hearth Arena and it was only rated like 62 or something lol. Right now, Im 8 and 2, and both games I lost I made bad plays and could have won, although the last one was against a strong tempo rogue, I still made it to turn 13. And 4 of the games I won, I finished with 30 life.

I tell you all this OP to let you know that you dont have to pay to win. I stand to way more than make my money back on this. Not only will I get a pack of cards, Im looking at 200+ gold and maybe some dust too, maybe a lot more depending on how my next game goes.

You dont need to spend to win. Look at the cards you have, think of what you wanna play, and focus on building one good deck for now that you can compete with. And to conplete your quests, I find tavern brawl very useful. Ive used this weeks to conplete 4 quests for classes I dont have any good cards for. And now I have two decks that I can steamroll people with, and also have very competitive games. Good luck, hope this helped.

1 Like