Hearthstone was crashing at end, now beginning of each game (iPad 4)

Hearthstone is still consistently crashing to springboard at the end of every single twoplayer game as the hero explodes. iPad 4, asset download disabled.

yep, me too. Same hardware (ipad4).
Every single game this weekend crashed when trying to return to the menu screen after a game.

Do you also have problems crashing during matches if there is an exceptionally long turn or elaborate animation? Or if there are a lot of golden cards on the board?

It’s absurd that a card-battler requires more than 3GB of RAM for it minimum requirements.

See Chuchu - connection issues - #7 by chuchu-21300

I do also have issues with animations slowing games to a crawl, disrupting turns, and occasionally causing a crash - battlegrounds is pretty much unplayable, because there is so much going on there. I don’t see golden cards that often (deleted all mine, turned off golden card animations), so can’t comment to that.

I have, however, figured out that browsing your card collection THEN playing a game is a nono. Finish browsing/changing the collection, quit out of that, kill Hearthstone, relaunch, THEN play a game. The collection manager must leak memory like a sieve with all those graphics.

And, since Hearthstone plays fine on my iPhone SE without crashing on the same wifi network, I’m reasonably sure network issues along the path to the Blizzard servers are not the issue, despite chuchu’s forwarded explanation of control-plane radius auth timing out before data-plane gameplay. I play across all three (non-China) servers, and see consistent crashing-at-end-of-game behaviour on the iPad 4.

Hearthstone used to work on a lowly 512MB iPad 2. If Blizzard could selectively ramp back or disable animations, or decrease frames generated (look to the sliders in Warcraft Reforged for an example of this), Hearthstone could work much better on low-end hardware. Watching it try to draw frames of ‘Your turn’ is painful and laggy. App slicing, providing low-res non-retina graphics, would heavily decrease memory use. I could even work with simple fallback generic card pictures – spell, beast minion, mage minion, neutral minion etc.) - less memory use, far faster play.

(for the iPad 2, app slicing and providing low-res graphics is the way to go. As it is, Hearthstone crashes on launch on the iPad 2; you can’t even browse your card collection.)

More testing on low-end hardware is needed to handle memory and animations better. I swear, if I was on a better iPad I’d win so many more games I’d finally reach legendary. It’s a card game; so why does it need so much memory and CPU.

1 Like

Wow… a perfect description of my ipad4 experience.

I’m not surprised that you ipad2 doesn’t work… it’s not listed as having the minimum requirements.

I can confirm that when my opponent summons a full board of golden minions (say from a golden Gul’dan), I’ll be lucky if I get to take my turn.

With today’s update, my iPad 4 is now crashing at the START of every game - not the end. That’s new, and disturbing,

I mention the iPad 2 because when Hearthstone was launched in 2014 it was the majority model to deploy to - and Hearthstone worked well on it. After all, it was just a small card game running on the most common tablet.

Today, a 2 just crashes - and an iPad 3 is far too slow at animations, though almost playable. The 4 is now the minimum, though it has trouble with animations too.

Removing animation frames if they’re too slow seems reasonable, and can be automated on a feedback loop - if the animation takes too long, ramp the number of frames down. Can’t be that hard.

Yeah… the new update has made connectivity issues worse too… what the hell Blizzard

After today’s Hearthstone update (Battleground fixes, apparently) the iPad 4 Hearthstone app is STILL crashing at the start of every game. Hearthstone is literally unplayable.

I had to do a 2GB download to learn this by doing the testing that Blizzard doesn’t do. Many bytes have replicated to bring this information to us.

1 Like

Same issues does hs has noted this bug?

Unfortunately, no.
It appears that the iOS version of HS will continue to crash every game.

The lack of engagement by the support team or by the developers makes it clear that there is no interest in fixing this issue for such a small population. It is easier for those affected to just get frustrated and leave than it is to fix the problem with their game.

1 Like

Hey all,

Just wanted to confirm that this is still a bug that is being worked on that affects iOS devices that have a lower amount of RAM (2-3GB). I’m afraid we don’t have any updates to provide, but the Hearthstone team is still aware of it.

Main thread here:

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that it is being worked on. The silence was unbearable.

Today’s Hearthstone uodate is still crashing at the start of game on iPad 4, so no changes there; the game is still unplayable on a supported device.

At least the cosmetic dialog/password overlay bug that prevented switching servers has now been fixed…

Yup, but I didn’t expect any change in the capability on iOS. They didn’t mention it in the release, so no reason to think that it’s even on their radar.
They don’t care about the older models. But they are too dishonest to remove the models from the supported device list.

Well, Blizzard didn’t mention fixing the server switching dialog problem either - but they did eventually fix it, three releases after it was first reported. It’s as if Battlegrounds is more important than stability or reliability.

All we can do is test and report.

battlegrounds perks was released on March 17th, retailing for $20.

Since then, battlegrounds has had four balance changes, added EIGHT heroes, and added pirates.

So OF COURSE battlegrounds would be more important. Why would they want to fix their fundamental problems when they have to support their new cash cow.

I tried downloading the new Scholastic Academy
update (or whatever it’s called - this is NOT Hogwarts, which should be entirely clear to everyone in House Crashingin) to my iPad 4. Still crashes at the start of every game, so the game remains unplayable on the iPad 4.