Guidance + Unbound Elemental

The overload effect of Guidance doesnt buff Unbound elemental.

https://cards.hearthpwn.com/enUS/YOP_024.png?81706
https://cards.hearthpwn.com/enUS/EX1_258.png?81706
3 Likes

That’s because Guidance isn’t a card with Overload. The Overload cost comes from a Choose One option.

I was looking for this ticket, that’s just weird. Hope they fix it otherwise it’d be just a poor interaction and shaman doesn’t need that at all.

3 Likes

I agree. Regardless of whether the overload comes from a ‘Choose One’-option, the description of the Unbound Elemental states that it will gain +1/+1 “Whenever you play a card with Overload…”, not “Whenever you play a card that results in Overload…”. The current interaction is a little misleading in my opinion since Guidance has the Overload-keyword in its description.
I suggest changing Unbound Elemental’s text to:

“Whenever you gain Overload, gain +1/+1”

…which should then include Guidance as part of the possible Overload-interactions when choosing the card’s Overload-option.

There are already cards that have “Whenever you overload …” on their card text. And they do all trigger when a player chooses to overload when playing Guidance.

When Blizzard uses different texts for effects that appear to be similar, most of the time the different text is intentional, and intended to describe a different behaviour.
In other words, absent any indications to the contrary I am going to assume that both the wording and the behaviour of Unbound Elemental are fully intended, and that Blizzard has no intention to buff the card as you suggest.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.
However, if the card should deliberately not trigger when choosing the Overload-option on Guidance, I think Unbound Elemental’s text should be revised. Otherwise, it is as I originally wrote - misleading.

That would mean Unbound Elemental would get +1/+1 when you choose the non-overload option when you play Guidance. That would make it even more confusing for people.

Read the whole reply. In the end I state that it should be changed.
I’m not saying that I would like the card to function this way - I’m just saying that the text makes it seem that way.
The current text, in context of how it interacts with the Guidance card, is misleading. Period.

It’s not. The spell Guidance does not give Overload. The result of the spell gives you three options, and one of those options gives you Overload. That’s not the spell, but the effect of the card. There is a difference.

How should it be revised then?

I’m sick of repeating myself.
As I said before, read my full initial reply to this post.
Within that I specify my revision and the reasons for the text being misleading…

No, you didn’t. You said to revise it to how you think it should work. Again, I’m asking you for this:

So, if it shouldn’t trigger with Guidance (which it doesn’t), how should it be revised? Because that’s what you’re saying in this quote.

And no, the text doesn’t make it seem that way, the text clearly states you either choose out of two spell or you overload to choose both. That’s the spell, to give you that option. Again, it’s the effect of the spell that gives you the overload, not the card. If you look at the card library, you’ll see that every card that has Overload ends with Overload: (x), while Guidance (or Runic Carvings) does not.

As for your explanation for the text being misleading, you said it yourself:

Congratulations, that’s the reason why Guidance won’t work, because Unbound Elemental doesn’t say “Whenever you play a card that results in Overload”.

Dude…
You keep missing the point.

Regardless of whether it’s the option from Guidance or the card itself that results in Overload, Unbound Elemental should be buffed from the interaction.

While there is some merit to what you’re saying, that

…every card that has Overload ends with Overload: (x)…

I don’t see how Unbound Elemental’s text is still not misleading as the Overload-option from Guidance, called “Spirit Path”, clearly uses the wording you’re mentioning.

…and also, I never said that Guidance’s text is confusing/misleading.

It’s you who is missing the point.

No, because Unbound Elemental clearly says “card with Overload”. Guidance doesn’t have Overload, and that’s the card you play.

Spirit Path is not a card. You can’t play Spirit Path.

Also, I would edit that original post with the bad revision, or people will comment on it without reading the next post.

How is “Spirit Path” not a card?
I get that you can’t have it in your hand, but functionally it’s just like a card from Discover or any other mechanic that plays a card without you having to manually do so.

That’s like saying Overload cards played by Yogg-Saron aren’t valid candidates for Unbound Elemental’s effect, right?

Cards are only cards if you have them in your hand. There is no way to obtain Spirit Path in your hand, therefor it’s not a card. Also, if you play a card that lets you cast a spell you discover, that’s still only one card played, not two.

And yes, I do think Overload cards played by Yogg aren’t valid for Unbound Elemental, since you’re not the one playing them.

I disagree that Spirit Path is not a card.
But I am unsure about whether or not discover-options are considered to be ‘played by you’.
If not, then you (and BigHugger) are correct.
But if it were up to me, I would still change Unbound Elemental’s text. Something along Tunnel Trogg’s text in terms of Overload interactions.

Spirit Path is a card. The Hearthstone wiki calls all cards you cannot put in a deck “uncollectible”; in addition card choices seen as a result of a discover are further categorized to be “choice cards”. Many uncollectible choice card can in fact be added to your hand by using Keeper Stelladris. (Though at this time there is no way to actually get Spirit Path in your hand).

However, this all is moot. Throughout the game, whenever a card effect mentions “playing a card”, it always refers to the act of dragging a mouse from your hand to the board, paying the mana to play it. All other forms can result in verbs such as summoning, casting, or putting in play - but not playing.

1 Like