Goodbye Priest when the Mech event starts

Once the Mech event kicks in Priest is totally screwed in Standard, Extra Arms gets buffed, but since Priests just don’t have the tools to play a mid-range tempo deck it’s more or less irrelevant (Cloning Device going from 2 to 1 mana just takes the spell from aggressively bad to bad, still unplayable).

Paladin actually got a good buff with Crystology, it takes mech Paladin from nearly good enough to potentially decent, particularly as Sn1p-Sn4p synergises nicely with the deck (Priest has absolutely zero synergy with the new Mech, which will make them even more underpowered as other classes do, bomb Hunter,Warrior etc.)

What is it with Priest and card design? we have such a random hodge podge of useless cr*p , Zerek a legendary so bad he’s not even used in decks that specifically revolve around his ability,Cloning Gallery at 2 was mental even at 1 it’s terrible,Surrender to madness-where do I start!? possibly the worst card in the entire game-destroying 3 mana crystals AND costing 3 to cast, seriously!? wtf!.

To top it all off we now get one of our potentially interesting cards nerfed because the devs missed an obvious interaction, so no more zero mana voodoo dolls and I was hoping we would get a 3 mana egg next expansion that would have worked with RE, now that’s not going to happen. Unbelievable that the solution to this clusterf*ck was to nerf the weakest class in the game, what a joke!

My meta prediction for the new Mech event is that Priests drop to a tiny % on ladder, possibly the most irrelevant and weak a class has ever been.

2 Likes

You do realize that in a world where mech hunter and mech paladin become stronger and more played…

Priest is automatically getting better.

Of all the classes, priest has access to the most tools which punish magnetic. They also end up with the strongest taunt, most plentiful array of healing, and the ability to draw.

Trust me, a priest allowed the freedom to focus more on combating mechs beats mech decks.

3 Likes

My only experience with mech paladin is wild, so it may be a different situation there, but from my understanding wouldn’t snip snap be bad in mech paladin?

Polluting your kangor pool with a heap of 1/1’s doesn’t sound like a very good idea to me, especially when Pally has no good board wide buffs outside of dudes to capatilise on the 1/1’s. Not to mention it’s cost is pretty awkward for paladin, it’s a pretty meh turn 3 play, decent on turn 6 but screws over your kangor most of the time, and pretty good on turn 9, but you should have won by then anyway.

Might be completely different for standard, but I don’t see snip snap being to good outside of mech hunter, where it’s amazing, but still messes with stuff like Oblivitron and nine lives in slower non-hyper aggro lists.

5 Likes

Arms is really strong,people underestimate. But It doesnt really fit into any priest archetype other then somewhat slowish board decks. kinda like old days with blademaster and heal to get a 4/7.
If priest gets the tools to play an early minions board style then it will be nuts.

1 Like

I’ll bet you your forum avatar (since we share the same one!) that Priest will make up less than 5% of the meta post the Mech event.

I just don’t think priest is strong enough to beat decks like Mech Hunter and Paladin once they have their buffs, Priest is getting zero buffs (that will actually see play)

If Priest isn’t strong enough to be part of the meta now, the only thing the nerf to Experimenter does for the class is prevent it from becoming the target of everyone’s ire when the Boomsday Buffs hit.

People are already complaining a lot about the OTKs that are in the game. Having another OTK that’s potentially available on turn 5 would not help anyone.

Mech paladin will play Sn1p-Sn4p, mark my words, the card is redonculous.

It might mess up your kangors once in a while, but it’s too good not to be included, and it’ll be strong too.

But like, why? I can’t see any reason to use this in mech pally. it jeapordises your Kangor’s, Has an extremely awkward cost for paladin, an effect that can barely be used properly by the class, is relatively low impact and can’t be tutored by crystology.

Without stuff like metal tooth leaper available to paladin, I don’t see a reason to include it, just play sound the bells. Cheaper, works with prismatic lense, doesn’t mess with Kangor’s, covers your turn 4, 8 and 10 etc

1 Like

Perhaps play it after KEA?
Or don’t run KEA at all, and switch to a much more aggressive style of deck.
The Crystology buff is pretty damn huge.

1 Like

You can’t afford to have a non-game changing card that you can’t play before turn 7 at minimum, not to mention when you bottom deck Kangor’s, nor should you drop your finisher for a mediocre mid game play.

It’s true extra arms will now be a “good” card, but as you point out it has no synergy with the rest of Priests kit, so a pointless buff that won’t help the class at all.

WingedKagout-Priest is barely part of the meta right now, and while every other class is either alreadyt viable or getting a decent buff Priest is essentially getting nothing, which is why I’m so annoyed, Priest falls even further behind in power, and not only that we’ve had a possibly powerful and interesting card nerfed, good job guys!

I am open to change, and prefer keeping an open mind.
Might be something you could consider.

Predicting the meta never works well.

I’m not attempting to predict anything or close my mind to everything, it’s quite silly of you to assume that. I just personally think it’s a rather supobtimal and bad inclusion based on reasoning I have provided, an as such am looking for input disproving that, hence why I’ve asked multiple times from multiple people why it would be a good inclusion.

I am completely open to change, which is why I have asked for other people’s opinions on the matter numerous times, but I’m not going to go head over heels with the majority without any reasoning other then “This card is big good”.

Wouldn’t priest need to be here first? before saying goodbye?

1 Like

I think you’re wrong, Sn1p-Sn4p is crazy value, 9 stats for 3 mana is bonkers already, add in Magnetic and Echo and it’s off the charts, that’s why Paladin will play it, it’s too good not to!

Yes occassionaly it will mess up your KAE, but don’t forget it will also add an amazingly powerful possible rez from KAE too, or as RandomDrunk says , perhaps Mech Pally will just drop KAE plus perhaps the eggs and go for a much faster more aggressive build.

Anyhoo the main buff to Pally is Crystology to 1, and that’s a great buff right there, waaaay more impactful than Extra Arms going to 2 imo.

2 Likes

Maybe silence Priest will be a thing?

Opening with Northshire into Arms next turn with another one on the way is sick.

4 Likes

I used Mech pally for most of r15-r5, beat zero silence priests, wasn’t even close any of the games.

The trouble is , that’s it! Priest has no other high tempo plays apart from Extra Arms , and that’s not enough to make a viable tempo deck.

Silence priest is nowhere near good enough (and has anti-synergy with extra Arms as a bonus!) and with just about every other class getting a boost it’s going to be even further behind.

i differ here, i can tell you that sn1p-sn4p is not going to be good for the deck, having all those 1/1 in your cementery will give you a really mediocre krangor, the only way you play it is in a non mech paladin build, the strong point of mech paladin is having the chance of resurrecting all his strong minions, if you risk with that card the only thing you are going to get is a paternity sign up from warriors with all their removals, now in mech hunter can be a thing

How many silence priests did you face ? I’ve yet to see one on ladder!