Good standard deck for trial by felfire challenge

I don’t know, honestly. Maybe she actually could, especially in a version agaisnt Vashj, where you can’t really rely on your board and need more spells… Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll keep it in mind.

However, it is apparently possible to do the first seven challenges on a budget even without her. Magtheridon especially and also Vashj are probably some of the toughest fights I’ve had so far, while Shahraz and Vashj required some ‘tech’ changes, as described above… We’ll probably see how this kind of deck fares against the final two bosses — I’ll try to post some updates when I can do it.

Left for me to beat yet.

It’s built around Frost Lich Jaina, really. You need to survive and then use it for all that value, healing and so on. Geddon and Lokholar can bail you out, especially with lifesteal (although I think I might have used Lok just to clear the board at some point).

PS As you can probably see from my posts above, I’m not actually that good with this kind of deckbuilding or overly familiar with post-Gadgetzan cards, so any feedback would be appreciated. I’ve just come up with some budget recipe, and it can work, so I’ve decided to share it, in case it’s useful for somebody.

(Updated and edited)

1 Like

Jaina finally came out in a timely manner (turn 10 or 11) on my third try, but if anything that game was even more one-sided than the other two. Lokholar was able to kill two enemy minions, yay… Geddon didn’t appear.

Looks like I should go back to ignoring Trial by Felfire like I do the Book of Heroes. :unamused:

I can give you the deck that i used its not budget but i used it to win the final challenge it gains a ton of armor and has boardclears not to mention our hero power that can later clear any board with our 4 drop minion.

Alright, did Kael with a Renathal version including a couple of Counterspells and Steamcleaners added (yeah, if he cheats with his hero power, why cannot we?). The timing of my Steamcleaner was not ideal, however, but otherwise I was lucky enough to just push him quickly (discovered a Drakefire Amulet and kept hitting him with two big dragons) — and he had his bit of luck drawing the Solarian prime immediately, too.

Was it against Kazzak? He doesn’t seem that brutal…

Most of these challenges are more like a war of attrition, though, sometimes fatigue literally deciding the outcome of the game — so you should be prepared to survive, stabilise and then overcome.

Of course, there’s always randomness involving card draw — there’s that, as always in such missions.

That’s also 16 health restored if you have Jaina, so you could spare us the irony here.

That’s your decision, of course, you should play what you like. The Books of Heroes and Mercenaries have mostly been not that bad, in my opinion, since you’re generally provided with a deck, so that doesn’t limit you, and puzzles have been outright fun. Some missions are notoriously bad and rng-dependent, yes, but not all of them.

All right, am I prepared for Illidan?

PS

Renathal decklist for Kael
### Ishnu-Dal-Dieb
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Breath of Sindragosa
# 2x (2) Amplified Snowflurry
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Ice Walker
# 2x (2) Runed Orb
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Oasis Ally
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Snowblind Harpy
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 2x (4) Cold Case
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (4) School Teacher
# 2x (5) Steamcleaner
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (7) Baron Geddon
# 2x (7) Bonemare
# 2x (8) Mo'arg Forgefiend
# 1x (9) Frost Lich Jaina
# 1x (10) Lokholar the Ice Lord
# 
AAECAZ7hAwaoigSqoATvpATHsgSX7wTY6wUR0OwDwfADzPkDmI4EoZIE/J4E/Z4E558E6J8ExqAElrcEn9QE294E/+EEoesFousF5+sFAA==
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
1 Like

Alright, it took a few attempts with Illidan, who can really beat you up quickly in the beginning, but I did it!

Decklist
### Not Prepared!
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Breath of Sindragosa
# 2x (1) First Flame
# 2x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 2x (2) Amplified Snowflurry
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Ice Walker
# 2x (2) Runed Orb
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Oasis Ally
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 2x (4) Cold Case
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (4) School Teacher
# 2x (5) Ethereal Conjurer
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (7) Baron Geddon
# 2x (7) Bonemare
# 1x (9) Frost Lich Jaina
# 1x (10) Lokholar the Ice Lord
# 
AAECAc2xAgaoigSqoATvpATHsgSX7wTY6wUR0OwDwfADrvcD0PkDoZIE/J4E/Z4ErJ8E6J8ExaAExqAElrcEn9QE294EoesFousF5+sFAA==
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It was zero health restored, since it was just before the armor from those secrets that give you armor wore off. So you can spare us the attitude.

Book of Mercenaries was doable, Book of Heroes has a lot of stages where you just try over and over and over and over again until at some point RNG stacks your deck and the AIs deck perfectly so you can squeak through. I got through some, gave up eventually. And from what I understand Book of Heroes is where they’ve been adding new content, so I haven’t even seen that (Faelin, I think is the name I’ve seen).

Like I said, the cards I have are literally the past three mini-sets. Pretty sure that’s budget. When I loaded the deck you posted earlier in the thread it showed me having 14/30, which doesn’t seem close enough to try filling in the missing spots. Thanks anyway though.

When i said its not budget i was talking about my list my friend :slight_smile:

An afterthought about the decks I posted: the 2 mana, 1-3 elementals are not that good (the other 2-drops are cost-efficient and tempo-efficient, though), so you might want to replace them with some better removal spells or something if you are going to use this.

Hmm?

I posted a budget solution that worked for me, in case it could be useful for someone else. It didn’t work for you, perhaps — too bad, but is that a cause to go on the offensive, especially against someone who has at least tried to help you and share some tips how this could possibly be done on a budget? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I undertand you might be frustrated, but let’s not try to take it out on others, shall we?

As someone who has helped by your deck, thank you.

1 Like

Could you share it? I’ve tried various versions, including a priest deck suggested on another side and have tried vashj 50+ times now with no success

I no longer have an exact deck list, however, there’s an example list with Renathal for Illidan. You’d want to replace weapon removals (they are needed against Shahraz and Illidan only) and possibly some cheaper elementals with removal spells.

Note, however, that the ‘Frozen Throne’ cards are no longer in Core, that ‘event’ having ended, so this is no longer a budget alternative. You might find a better full-cost alternative… I was about to say, but then suddenly realised: in fact, you no longer can use this deck at all, since it would be Wild, and these challenges probably (?) still require a Standard deck for some reason, even though Ashes have long rotated out of it.

Very confused as to why these challenges are limited to standard. anyway, appreciate the answer

I managed to do it with this deck:

Lady Vashj

Class: Mage

Format: Standard

Year of the Hydra

2x (1) Babbling Book

2x (1) Snap Freeze

1x (2) Amplified Snowflurry

2x (2) Arcanologist

1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos

2x (2) Frozen Touch

2x (2) Loot Hoarder

1x (2) Solid Alibi

2x (3) Arcane Intellect

2x (3) Cone of Cold

2x (3) Ice Barrier

2x (3) Nightcloak Sanctum

2x (4) Cold Case

2x (4) Fireball

1x (4) Life Sentence

1x (6) Blizzard

2x (7) Flamestrike

1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder

AAECAf0EBrCKBKGSBJegBPHTBMreBOztBAz8ngT9ngT+ngTmnwTonwShoATDoATEoATGoATb3gSCkwWEkwUA

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Once again, is using proper formatting OP? :man_facepalming: In the Light’s name, haven’t I written about it just above with clear instructions how to do this… Truly, reading is obviously not considered ‘mainstream’ by a substantial part of this forum’s audience — they are all ‘writers’, however. :smirk:

Some of us have better things to do than being ocd about forum formatting on a forum this size, but sure …

For some people, the larger font size is beneficial, ya know … seeing impairments and all, but let’s only think about our own preference. Empathy isn’t considered mainstream either it seems.

I’m starting to see what was mentioned previous about attitude. Peace out.

1 Like

:rofl: Classic aggressive insistence on one’s own shortcomings and ignorance.

‘What are you compensating for’, as Hagatha would say, with those big letters, compared to the rest of the text, hmm? :grinning: Do you think your ego so important? Besides, all one would really need is only a short string of the deck code, the rest should be hidden.

I’m not the one who commented on someone’s formatting choices being more important than their intention to help with a practical deck rather than theory. So whatever makes you sleep better at night, buddy :wink:

Just started the trials and it is very unfortunate that I can’t use any of my old great decks that other people have built for me, or even some of the cheesy ones. This standard only thing sucks since, all the decks I find online are old. Even here the first decks listed were blocked because of wild.

Running into issues with spades deck doing Teron Gorefiend