Floop interaction with Aviana https://i.imgur.com/lLlurPu.jpg

Floop used to cost 1 mana when Avaina was on board. Now, he remains to cost 4 mana after Aviana is on board.

https://i.imgur.com/lLlurPu.jpg

My guess (and perhaps you recall the details from your game, although it depends on the play order) is that
1: After playing Aviana, Floop will be a 1 mana 3/4 copy of Aviana; and
2: After then playing another minion, Floop will be a 4 mana 3/4 copy of that minion.

This is consistent with other effects. I think 1 or 2 years ago, the game was changed to make cards that transform in hand lose all previous enchantments. (I think this change was needed because there were too many buggy interactions from retaining all enchantments when changing form each turn).
So when Aviana is played, Floop receives an enchantment to be 1 mana, and this is the last enchantment. But after playing another minion, the enchantment to be a 3/4 copy of that minion is added after the Aviana enchantment and now that enchantment takes priority.

1 Like

It was working fine last week. I dunno what they changed in last week adventure patch without publishing patch notes.

Aviana has a “aura” effect that should overwrite all minions mana cost to one. Floop is copying a minion so the same rule should apply to him.

Auras and enchantments that affect mana cost usually have no inherent ordering between them. An enchantment can override an Aura if it is applied later on. Of course, that would mean it always should have been 4 mana, and the previous behavior was caused by Aviana not following the rule.

But that was only the best understanding that could be surmised by observation. To my knowledge aside from the “cost auras that minions in the hand apply to themselves always go last” rule (which may have been a precursor to Floop changing, if it was deliberate), there’s never been any official statement on aura and enchantment ordering. It’s a big mess and aspects of it often change without warning. One of the gameplay engineers said they’re looking at doing a consistency pass over every card someday, but I couldn’t guess when that will be.

Out of curiosity, what’s the earliest you can recall it working? Boomsday Project? Rastakhan’s Rumble? When did you first try this combo? The behavior of cost modifier auras was thought to be more consistent until recently, when an interaction between Kalecgos and Nerubian Unraveler called it into question.

I’ve been regularly playing the deck using Jepetto card which was was released in Rise of Shadows. I just noticed the bug yesterday. But Floop was working fine when I played the deck before new adventure came out last week. The bug was likely introduced with the latest patch.

1 Like