First look at 3 paladin cards for new expansion

Showdown
Epic 2-Mana spell
Both players Summon 3 3/3 Outlaws. Yours again Rush.

(The) Spirit of the Badlands
Legendary 3-Mana 3/4 Minion
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, get a permanent Mirage.

Mirage
Legendary Permanent spell
At the start of your turn, transform this into a copy of a minion in your deck. (This stays in your hand)

Prismatic beam
Common 7-Mana Spell
Deal 3 damage to all enemies. Costs 1 less For each enemy minion.

Thoughts on each?

1 Like

spirit of the badlands seems pretty fun. if it works. showdown seems intended to be used with prismatic beam.

showdown + beam is a nice combo, but not that overwhelming, I’ll just play a lightning storm. still i like that none of these are OP, but they playing 2+ (whatever her name is again… 7 mana get 3 legs) can be a bit painful

1 Like

Showdown is potentially good if there is enough synergy to consistently combo it with removal or even crusader aura. I suspect it’ll be too inconsistent.

Mirage seems a powerful value effect. Have to wait to see the highlander neutral to really evaluate highlander potential.

1 Like

Mirage seems cool, but likely won’t see any realistic play. Will be fun for highlander stuff, but it’s all dead on arrival as far as I see.

Unless the new Reno card stops duplicates in your deck, this will be mediocre at best.

1 Like

Well not that swarm decks were viable… but now its only rogue and druid that dont have a massive amount of AOE available.

Minions seem rather irrelevant with the amount of minion hate spells they print every expansion

It will be better to not be pure so as to run the neutral hero card

Combo oriented with Prismatic Beam. A little lack-luster on its own.

sure. highlander.

cool mix-up with a catch-up like effect. AOE’s are costing less so this fits with that.

Spirit of the Badlands is by far the weakest highlander legendary shown so far in the set. It wouldn’t even be that spectacular without the highlander requirement.

Spirit of the Badlands is Dancing Paladin support.

You are so right. It would actually be broken beyond belief. Sometimes i wonder if people posting here actually play the game?

Bookmarked for future laughter.

Edit: I think the main thing you might be missing is that the mirage never leaves your hand. That means that any minion in your deck can be cast every turn WITH ECHO. Additionally, Paladin has access to Order in the Court, which means that It has a pretty good way to make sure that it never draws whatever one mana minion it feels like playing multiple times per turn. Also, chaotic tendrils exists. The Spirit of the Badlands would absolutely be busted if it didn’t have the Highlander requirement. Because it does have the Highlander requirement, it might end up not being good enough for standard. In wild, where Highlander requirements do not reduce card quality to such an extent, I’m pretty confident that spirit will find a place.

Doesn’t work. It’s once per turn then it goes back to the mirage until next turn.

If it did have Echo, you’d be 100% correct. Just spam armor smith or some other 1 mana busted minion.

Wait what.

Oh okay I get it now. I was misreading the card.

Well that’s a lot worse.

Well if the reward doesn’t have Echo then I guess this is the best I can do: an infinite supply of Astalor. I thereby dedicate this probably bad combo deck to the Horatio from Endless Space 2.

THE WIN CONDITION (mulligan everything else)
2x Order in the Court

MINIONS
1x Astalor (2)
1x Spirit of the Badlands (3)
1x ETC Band Manager (4)
1x Cattle Rustler (5)

ETC’S BAND
Sir Finley, Sea Guide
Steamcleaner
Prismatic Beam

3 COST NON-MINIONS
1x Boogie Down
1x Consecration
1x Deputization Aura
1x Disco Maul
1x Hammer of Wrath
1x Jury Duty
1x Muster for Battle
1x Seal of Blood
1x Service Bell
1x Starlight Groove

OTHER 2 COST SPELLS
1x Cold Feet
1x Equality
1x Feast and Famine
1x Flash of Light
1x For Quel’thalas!
1x Hand of A’dal
1x Inventor’s Aura
1x Lay Down the Law
1x Resistance Aura
1x Showdown!
1x Spotlight

1 COST SPELLS
1x Flight of the Bronze
1x Holy Maki Roll
1x Promotion

Banned for being wrong.

In best case scenario, it’s ‘draw a copy of a minion in your deck’ every turn, but that’s pretty optimistic as you probably don’t want to play whatever minion it becomes every turn since it doesn’t fit your curve or answer whatever the opponent is doing for that turn. Compare that to the druid highlander legendary for example to see just how bad it is by comparison.

If that card had no highlander restriction it would be in EVERY Paladin deck till the end of HS. WITH the restriction the card is just something to add to the deck and maybe get something interesting.

Yes, the druid Highlander payoff is very good but then again Druid also got every card in this expansion into one cohesive theme while every other class has to beg for 3-4 card with a coherent theme. Makes you wonder how that happened?

None of this will mean anything unless the legendary neutral highlander card is insanely good.

Scrotie, Boogie Down serves exactly what purpose in that deck?

For the most part, one more turn of not drawing Astalor. It’s a pretty dumb deck.