Finally Defeated Teron Gorefiend - After Action report

I’m wondering if for may this is “that one boss” kind of difficult target. Anyway, the Lich King Event provided me the cards necessary to finally defeat this guy. I had stuff powerful enough in wild, but none in standard since the recent meta had shifted completely away from that kind of gameplay.

The cards that defeated Teron Gorefiend: Frost Lich Jaina and Ignite

The analysis went: He spawns a 4/4 shadowy construct every turn. This penalizes you for playing cheap minions. Therefore, don’t play cheap minions, and don’t play token generators either. (Volatile Skeleton plans are right out. I tried them.) He runs Deathgrip, which penalizes you for playing big minions. Therefore, don’t play minions.

My game plan was fight him down card by card until he’s played out. It needs board-clear spells to deal with anti-magic shell (flamestrike + cone of cold was enough to deal with the worst). Besides this, I ran a bunch of newer cards that really messed with the bot’s game plan. Counterspell was good; Objection and Life Sentence were better. Refreshing spring water was a life-saver. Besides that, any direct damage spell that netted four or more damage was useful, except pryoblast, which should not be ran in this deck. The lifesteal water elementals end up being usable, so long as shadowy constructs are removed as fast as they are created. With only one on the board, the lifesteal is more than the damage from losing them. The late game plan is to play Ignite every turn and destroy shadowy constructs as fast as they pop up, while using your hero power and any remaining spells to deal with the last few minions your opponent will play. So with the last card being spent to cancel out his hero power, how is it won? By fatigue of course. This deck cannot reasonably be killed by fatigue damage; but Teron Gorefiend can’t do anything about running out of cards. It’s balanced so that his hero power ought to be stronger than any player’s hero power, but there are ways around that.

I did run one minion to see just how dumb the AI was: Sir Finley Mrrgglton, hoping that Death Grip would steal it and wreck my opponent’s hero power giving me a won game, but I never had a game where Death Grip was played while Finley was still in my deck.

Can’t use links, boo. Can some mod please linkify the card names?

Nope.

If any, Magtheridon probably is. There are many things that could go wrong with Gorefiend, though, so, as usually in these missions, it’s a bit luck-dependent.

Boo yourself [1, 2]. :grinning: 'Preformatted text' rules. And academic-style references [3] can be useful, too.

[1] https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VerbThis
[2] https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IWillShowYouX
[3] https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThatOneBoss

:grinning: I’m not sure whether they can keep up with their regular job, do you think they’re gonna do this rather tedious work for you? :grinning:

I don’t want to get into a fight; but I had them linkified and it said no. Probably because I’m a new poster.

No, that’s just the way the forum is. I’ve suggested some workarounds if you do want to provide some links.

On the other hand, you could share the deck code (see also the other topic and the tips about formatting I provided there) — maybe it still could be useful for someone else trying to take advantage of the KotFT cards’ still being in Core and do this ‘on a budget’.

The deck code plugin glitched out on install. :frowning:

Deck:
Ignite, 2x Solid Alibi, 2x Arcane Intellect, 2x Cone of Cold, 2x Counterspell, 2x Ice Barrier, 2x Objection, 2x Polymorph: Jellyfish (hint: combo with hero power for destroy minion), 2x Shattering Blat, 2x Fireball, Life Sentence, Deep Breath, 2x Refreshing Spring Water, 2x Blizzard, Sir Finley Murrgleton, 2x Flamestrike, Glacial Mysteries, Frost Lich Jaina

What plugin? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: On PC (WinDOS), that’s a standard feature of the game, copying a deck.

Interesting, although has some more expensive cards. Have you condisered Geddon, famous for his interaction with Frost Lich Jaina, and the more recent addition, Lokholar?

By the way, this hasn’t worked even with Rafaam, as far as I’m aware, so I wouldn’t expect it to work here. However, in that particular encounter, the ‘supreme archaelogist’ gulped my Shadowforms, nullifying his ability, without problems. :grinning: