Earthen Paladin

Pretty mediocre (bad) early on into Titans, is looking a lot better to play with Warlock being the best class in Standard and a decent game into warrior, threatening with huge boards and huge minions, recursion, lethal with Horn, and taunt minions with divine shield.

How do you guys feel about it now that some of the OTK decks have winded down after the balance patch?

It is still too slow and defensless against most of decks… This stategy was dead before it was born… Creating just a 2/2 Earthen Golem and doing nothing else, not even a taunt… can’t compete with other’s who do 3 actions per turn usually… yes, the game became that broken.

Dunno where you play, naga mage can still burn you down pretty hard.

Rather weak to silence, transforms, and priest Titan removing needed minions or just drowning them so they cannot be rezzed.

That’s not an issue exclusive to this deck, it’s an issue with midrange as an archetype in modern Hearthstone. Very few midrange decks have been relevant in HS over the last 3 years. Hunter was probably the most successful but only got there because the cards were so overtuned that archetype identity was replaced with powerful cards being powerful.

There are some issue with the deck though. Having no 2 drop really hurts, a lot of the cards occupy the same mana costs so it’s very difficult to actually curve out plays. There just needs to be more options for the deck. It’s pretty strong though when it gets going and I think farms warlock. The priest matchup isn’t too bad but it depends on when they play their own Titan. Making things disappear is a huge bane to this deck.

I don’t follow. It’s a similar concept to removing the buff to the creature, but it doesn’t stop the fact that the creatures were summoned and can be revived and still buff future creatures.

Okay. So…

You wanted to address the OTK decks oppressing Earthen Paladin have been nerfed. I bring up that those OTK still exist. You say thats not an issue exclusive to this deck.

Paladin has better decks than Earthen Dudes. Even dancing paladin performs better, nevermind the aggro decks actually being tier 1.

Never said OTKs didn’t exist, just that they are not running around nearly as much and the meta NOW, post patch, is better for the deck than it was before.

Also not a thread about the best decks right now. It’s a thread about this deck in particular. If I wanted to make a thread about pure paladin I would have made that thread.

Earthen paladin has unique advantages over pure paladin in the current meta. Is it generally better? Again, this is not a thread trying to argue that it is. I just think there is success to be had with it right now and where people are or aren’t finding it.

Only one question to ask here: How does it do vs Warlocks? Meta revolves around them at the moment. If its a good Warlock answer then it will find success.

1 Like

Warlock is almost always an autowin unless you somehow open terribly. I have tested using both pure and regular builds, they both do well. With pure you get access to Lawyer, with regular you replace Lawyer with Starfish. Starfish is obviously worse to play for tempo but doesn’t fill up your rezz pool and Countess is Countess which is almost reason enough to play a pure build. Starfish also of course opens up the board for lethal once Sargeras hits, assuming they don’t use Twisting Nether effect (which you can usually force).

Other than that, both variants do well against Warrior because you have a bunch of taunts they have a hard time playing through. Silence sucks but doesn’t hurt as much when you have rezz targets and neutral build gives you access to more rezz options via Watcher of the Sun (chance to get additional copies of Tyr’s Tear or Animate Dead for an Earthen) and Ignis which I think is kind of greedy but if you are an Ignis lover then the option is there since you are running 4 forge cards.

Priest is close 50/50 in diamond and legend, blood DK can occasionally be a problem if they high roll with Patchwork in addition to the 2-4 silences they run (not sure about top 1K since I’ve never hit top 1K), hunter was a pretty terrible matchup (probably the 3rd worst behind Sif mage and Nature OTK) but is more manageable with the nerfs.

Overall I’d say it’s probably a strong tier 3, maybe weak tier 2 deck that has the potential for high winrates against warlock and warrior specifically and only has weak matchups against OTK decks and Hunter. Everything else on ladder seems like regular HS – sometimes you get scammed by RNG, other times you can remove things consistently enough for Kangor to steal wins for you. I think it’s legend worthy but not a top pick, just something fun that you can do well with.

I was having trouble, but fun, with it til i tried kibler’s version (much better than my tinkering). It goes for a lot of control tools in neutral minions, including a zola for shenanigans. Plus it has a maki roll and starlight groove in etc, the former for aggro and the latter just shuts down warrior. Its the most tier 3/2 feeling midrange deck ive played in a while, im enjoying it. … now i just gotta get a thief control rogue working.

I personally hate Kibler’s list. I think there’s a lot of issues with it and a lot of interactions dilute focusing on getting your own plan established. It felt way too reactive IMO.

I can see that. I mean, its almost entirely reactive so you definitely aint wrong. Ive just found that the meta doesnt let you just advance the bigger guys concept without beating you down or going over the top.

I just had a lot of losses with the deck. Maybe I piloted it wrong but it just felt like I had a lot of dead turns or couldn’t pressure to actually win games. It felt more like I was just trying not to die every game

as someone who plays the deck, its just too slow, it needs all of the mini set cards to support it

1 Like