Disappointed returning player/ new player matchmaking

Yo what happened to matchmaking for normal games. I just played 3 games with the start to go demon hunter deck and i went against insane decks with good combo’s/ legendaries?

Am i having bad luck or is this a new problem with the new 10 ran system (im used to old 25 ranks instead of 10)

1 Like

The new ranked system is:

• 5 leagues (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond) with 10 ranks each (10-1).
  • Each rank has 3 stars.
  • There are rank floors at rank 10 and 5 of each league.

You get a Star bonus or multiplier for your performance in the previous season.

• Eg: if you have x7 Star bonus, you’ll earn 7 stars for a win.
  • If you are on a winstreak (3+ wins in a row), that is doubled! (eg: 14 stars)
  • Star bonus decreases by 1 every time you hit a new rank floor (eg: at Bronze 5, Silver 10, Silver 5… etc.)

Have a look at the “Ranked Mode Overhaul” section here from April 2020: https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23319441

You’ll be matched by your matchmaking rating (MMR) instead of your rank. So if you were playing at a higher rank from years past, you might be coming back to more difficult opponents than you’d like while also needing to learn the new cards.

Questline Mage (Sorcerer’s Gambit) and Questline Warlock (The Demon Seed), are popular examples of decks that lots of players have picked up because it looks easy to be OP with, but can be dismantled by a better player with a different strategy.

In the early days of the new ranked system, it wasn’t perfect and did mismatch players somewhat

• perhaps to give some players an easier time to get their first Legend rank (which you get a Legendary for)
  • or perhaps the matches are set up to get you to buy stuff (…!!!)

Despite that I have been able to win games with budget builds to prove a point. That you can still have fun working with what you have and upgrading as you go along.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I noticed when I came back about a half a year ago. Back then (during GvG) the lower ranks consisted of pretty much amalgamation decks that were made from random cards that people had in their collection. It was very apparent and clear to see if you were a new player.

But in today’s HS you will pretty much never see anything like that. Literally every single person plays meta decks even at bronze 10 with few card replacement at best.

This is probably because they added ‘‘special’’ 40 (?) ranks on top of traditional ladder that’s only available to new players, so I assume that’s where all the random ‘‘bad’’ decks are.

1 Like

Game is a big pile of poop when it comes to its match making.

They lie and when you are in the beginner ladder you play non beginners I see it every single day.

Game is dying as well taking 30+ seconds to find a match anymore

Can’t wait till they shut the servers down.

4 Likes