Devolving missiles

On paper, it’s broken.

In reality, it’s merely ‘very good’ in ‘most situations, not all’.

1 Like

It’s fine, it’s random and can often backfire, I’ve had my Voidlord devolve into Ragnaros that went on to get lethal for me.

When used right this card is op and practically breaks the very fabric of the game.

Like DH that can just ignore taunts, which is just lazy design,

Like Shamans can now ignore trading bcs of mass evolve

Like mages can literally bash their heads on the keyboard make every mistake possible and yet cast randoom 5 - 10 spells… friggin 4 times or more in a single game… and out of nowhere pull out a random spell… literally ANY random spell… to win them the fight.

This xpack is all about breaking the very concpet of this game by making taunts obselete, making trading obselete, making deathrattles obselete, and threw mana cheats even mana is not that important anymore.

You can play bad and suddenly win with 0 talent, you can do everything right and still lose…

You can literally play around nothing, cause no one knows what cards the other player has regardless of class. Just count them number of times the word “Random” is now printed on cards.

This game is what you may call broken,

2 Likes

what was that post ?? is like you started writting then lost track

well… at least posting on hs forums is safer than driving

1 Like

anoying card indeed must be only existed for shaman and only.mages making parties with + this lol

Card is fine. It can low roll and high roll. Can count just as many times where it hurt me as it helped me. Imagine devolving a minion into an actually bigger minion. This happens alot.

1 Like

That’s not the point - using it on a large minion late game.

The point is early game on a couple small/medium minions with important effects.

DH doesn’t have access to devolving missiles.

1 Like

That’s actually the answer to the OP question.

Why does it cost 1? Because it’s meant to be good (better than sheep/hex) against small/medium minions (and in low numbers)

Mages and shamans have sheep/hex as basic. There would be no point to print another transform effect if it didn’t excel in certain situations (but worse in others)

Small/medium minions in small board is one such case where missiles is better. If the opponent is somehow putting down 10 drops, or if that big dude is surrounded by too many other minions, sheep/hex is better.

Another case is vs spell immune minions (though again, only if the board isn’t too wide)

You might say missiles is more useful in today’s meta than sheep/hex 99% of the time. That’s another answer to the OP question. Why is it 1 mana? Because sheep/hex alone aren’t good enough these days against the type of boards and decks that the meta contains.

1 Like

Honestly, without Devolving Missiles, mage would get wrecked by paladin minions buffs and Argent Braggarts. It was good to give this to mage to give them a way to deal with librams and other minion buffs such as Blessing of Authority.

As the OP I can say this is part of the answer, but it’s way too strong for the 1 mana drop.

It can totally swing early-mid sometimes late game.
It’s mega easy to generate this card from random effects.

If it was like 1 or 2 random minions it would be more balanced, or if it cost more, or if it was overload, or couldn’t get random gen so much or something. As is though it’s rampantly strong.

1 Like

Having had time to reflect on my earlier post I’ve decided that Devolving Missiles is still fine, in fact I’d very much like Warlocks to have a Demonic Project like spell that effects switch multiple minions in each hand into Demons.

It’s alright for cards to be strong my dude.

Look at Bladestorm. Look at Minefield. Restless mummy. Remember Defile? Look at Self Sharpening Blade. Inara. All of those do too much for their mana cost.

Tell me which others noteworthy cards Mage received recently?

Most decks (till Very recently, like, mini-expansion recently) relied on rise of shadow cards. Even Devolving Missiles, “rampantly strong” is only seeing play as a one off.

Mage is the sole class depending on damaging Minions to remove them, and we have bigger Minions, more Minions, and Mage removal didn’t keep up. At all.

DM isn’t only a necessity in a libram meta as It is the rare tempo positive, clearly strong card Mages have.

You Just gotta play around It.

2 Likes

I just had a Shaman’s devolving missles win the game for me. I was playing murloc Paladin and had most of my health but my deck was nearly empty. Shaman had fully healed at one point thanks to killing all my murlocs with Tidal wave. I had two minions on board and missles devolved a circus amalgam into Solarian. my opponent destroyed both my minions and shuffled solarian prime into my deck. i played solarian on an empty board, and she cast fireball, then mask of c’thun, then pyroblast all right in a row at my opponent for 7+12+11=29 damage! I really had no hope until that moment. it was amazing

1 Like

Amazing for you but very frustrating for your opponent, surely! Mage cards are usually the worst offenders when it comes to RNG (that people tend to complain about dictating games).

Well it’s biggest weakness is it can’t affect wild.
Which is from-hand combos, and in aggro decks it’s spotty if devolve helps or if it just lowers stats. F/e devolving a sorc apprentice doesn’t matter since it already same-turn got it’s value last turn against you.

If Devolving Missiles could shoot upwards and hit their cards in hand, now that’s a disruption tool for wild. It could also hit the deck too that would work.

On board trading or like devolving things and such is last year and prior for the most part in wild. I mean yea big priest but that’s about the only cheat out deck getting played rest is just from-hand combos and aggro. F/e the paladin deck cheating out burst damage, i mean devolving burst isn’t a strong play after the fact.

It’s a very standard card unless it can shoot up like a firework and hit cards in hand then it’s effective in wild.