Crystalsong portal

This card gives me divine favor vibes. Not much strategy involved. Dump all your minions and refill 3 minions for 2 mana? Not a whine thread. The card itself isnt what makes token druid strong but the mechanic of it i think its poorly designed.

1 Like

Yeah it is so good that quite a few token druids drop the card completely.
Comparing it to divine favor is ludicrous. They don’t do anything remotely the same.

2 Likes

Wait i never said its op but the design of it basically says “you can dump all your minions from your hand and you wont be punished because you can refill 3 cards for 2 mana”

1 Like

there is a few big difference. This is a 2 draw 3, which is similar to Book of Specter level. Conditional draw, one make you put very little minion in deck and the other make you put very little spell in deck. Regardless, the max draw is 3. I have once draw 8 cards with Divine Favour last time, thats a very huge power difference.

Secondly, its random, divine favour draw you cards you put in your deck (which you believe its good) and so does book of spector. Crystalsong portal don’t give you cards in your deck and sometimes give you unplayable minion (i have duskfallen aviana like 80% of the time) and this effectively force me to unable to play a second crystalsong portal for value.

Overall its power level is at book of spector, book upside being draw cards in your deck, downside, you can discard your win conditions. Crystalsong dont have both issues making is more neutral but both need conditional deck building.

3 Likes

The way token druid works atm is that they have more spells which summon minions rather than actual minions which is why this card is a good fit. You said a fair point about it being random. Sometimes you get useless minions. I didnt consider that. But its still like a 2 mana draw 3. Its not even op but the design of it is lul because druid has so many spells which generate minions.
Currently the most popular token druid deck uses 6 minions: vargoth, keeper2/3, evil rat and acornbearer and 14 spells that generate minions not including soul of the forest potential

yep i am pretty familiar with token druid. Its build this way to synergise with crystalsong portal. Like i say, its deck building. Its like summoner mage with only power of creation and conjurer calling. Cards that can get stuck in your hand are vargoth and keeper because you want to generate value off them but not all the time you can do it. So its not without limitation or just dumping cards. Its a carefully build deck that make to synergise with it and downside of having unplayable minions sometimes.

There arent many cases where crystalsong and vargoth+keeper is together. I would happily play tempo 2 mana 2/3 and even vargoth to some extent knowing ill get 3 cards for 2 mana. Now thats what i call value

Dusk fallen aviana is why this card isn’t usable lol.

Now we know why she was printed haha

1 Like

I won’t. I need token on boards. I dw to play crystalsong portal early. I play it only when I can’t do much anymore. I want to drop token every turn until it stick. I cannot afford an early 2 mana tempo loss allowing my opponent to gain board and trade my token effectively. I want to generate more power of the wild to buff my token. So yea they ain’t dead card but they are cards I prefer not to play if I still have whispering Woods or landscaping in hand. Crystalsong is really a late game value cards by then.

If you think that besides drawing cards those two cards have anything else in common, well, you’re wrong.

Actually, wait, Crystalsong Portal doesn’t even DRAW cards but DISCOVERS them! So, they got ZERO things in common!

Its limits your deck building, requires a set-up, to not have any minions in your hand, in order to get the full benefit. How much more “strategy” do you want for this simple card draw, or card generation rather, to think it’s strategic and high IQ enough?

Well, that’s your opinion then, mister backseat-designer who just compared Divine Favor and Crystalsong Portal. You’re still wrong.

Did you also criticize/complain about Spell Hunter in Year of the Raven who technically had not a single minion in their decks but could still summon them with spells? Why is Druid having similar spells somehow more “lul” design?

1 Like

Effects that are super-cost-discounted just because their effect is random are too excessive this year.

I wish discover/rng things were limited to 3-4 choices so the opponent can make “educated guesses”.

No, Divine Favor punishes your opponent for playing the game.

Crystalsong Portal is just pretty good but only in dire situations.

Omega Assembly is better, why not complain about that?

CP isn’t all that. A lot of Token Druid decks have been dumping the CPs because they really don’t help the deck very much. The card is situational to start, and highly vulnerable to a bad draw where you keep getting minions that prevent the bonus and end up having to wait extra turns with a dead card in your hand. It’s OK, but not great. Pretty much like most Druid cards these days.

3 Likes

Related to this, J4ckiechan was playing a Hand Druid deck earlier this week that ditched CP (and a lot of the Token buffs) for Mountain/Sea Giants. It looked interesting, from what little I saw.