Crafting cards. way too expensive for old expansions

Hi everyone

I just got back after a long break from gaming, and i wanted to pick up hearthstone as i got way more travel time on my hands with public transport.

I like the Wild mode when it comes to ranked play, eventhough it’s down in silver / gold ranking. However i find it extremely rediculous, that in wild when you can use every single card, that new players hardly got any chance in this game mode, against players who has cards from day 1. It simple feels too dull to start playing again, when old expansions cards cost 400 dust for epics and 1600!!! For old legendaries. Is there any chance blizzard will soon make a god damn change, so that any expansion that is not current season, has a massively reduced price on card crafting?
I find the idea of wild way better than standard, as you can build so many different fun strong decks, while in standard there’s kinda a meta deck. am i unreasonable for wanting this change, so that people who are new to the game, faster can get started and craft some proper decks, by getting cheaper oldschool cards? Currently new players just got a MASSIVE disadvantage and having to spend over 1000 hours of gameplay just to catch up, on old cards we can’t use in standard anyway?

2 Likes

I feel you, it’s so expensive and take tons of time to even get a few 400/1600 cards

go find a new game. this one died a while ago and is now just a way to milk those who already part with their money. seriously, they have whales happily paying money to use cards they already paid for once (LMAO) in a sloppy untested mode that was broken af with the robes the very minute it was released. and still people preorder…smh.

run. run far, far away from this game. as a new acct you have absolutely no chance.

2 Likes

Are standard cards cheaper?

Players need to be able to earn Wild cards in game, if given the choice. All the rewards are rewards for Standard.

If your collection of Wild sets is little or none, there is no way around it, you have to invest some cash if you don’t want to inefficiently craft cards at full price.

Yes, you could buy Wild packs with gold. But that is gold that would have otherwise went to saving up for the new expansion.

If they made Wild cards cheaper to craft, that would incentivise people to play Wild more than Standard, and oh no, Blizzard wouldn’t want that, they want Standard to be the main game mode. Standard, where you need to craft certain legendaries that you wouldn’t need to in Wild, because there’s already another card that fits a similar spot. So then they also make the newer cards better, so Wild players need to get some new packs anyway.

1 Like

If you play Wild you don’t need cards from the new expansion.

Been wanting this forever, feels so bad to craft a wild legendary for 1600 dust, and then it can only be used there. But yet I need crucial cards in wild to play many decks with, like patches, but just don’t wanna craft an old card when I also need so many new ones that can be used in both game modes…
This game have become way to expensive and pay to win for me! So many new crucial cards are epics and legendary’s. I’ll say good bye been playing since beta! can’t keep throwing money at this game!

You can certainly do fine with less of the new set playing only Wild, than a Standard player would find themselves needing.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you are fine with crafting the staple cards as each new expansion comes, or opening the packs to get them instead.

If you want to save your dust to craft legendaries and epics, you wouldn’t really want to spend a good 440 dust to craft 2 of each of Animated Broomstick, Tour Guide, Pen Flinger, Voracious Reader from Scholomance

You can buy any pack you want for gold. Most of the rewards are gold. so if you want to spend that gold on wild packs - you do have that choice.
If you have no wild cards at all, obviously it’s much better to open at least enough packs to get commons and rares (~60/expansion), rather than trying to craft the enite deck from scratch. Building a wild collection from scratch is an expensive endeavour though. Wild is really meant for older players, not for brand new ones.

And being able to get 60 packs of each expansion? We could earn it for free… if we were playing at the time. Instead the threshold to get to that point is $100s more dollars and grows every year. Sure, once you’re at that point, Wild is easier to maintain, better than Standard. But getting to that point?

Each rotation does make it easier, but it’s still a huge collection hurdle. I bought into Wild when there was only 2 expansions and 3 adventures. Now, there are 10 expansions and 4 adventures. Granted a lot of older stuff is not practical anymore due to new sets being just better, but there is still plenty of stuff to have from eg: Frozen Throne, Kobolds, Boomsday.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to play Wild, heck, I would play a really budget Big Rogue before I crafted Sylvanas and Sneed’s, but that it’s $100s to $1000s more expensive now than before to have all these cards for fun.

If you want to play wild, you should have played every season and kept the cards.
Wild is not for new ppl unless they’re willing to spend a lot. I have ~80%-90% of all cards. I almost never play wild though.

Try telling that to a new player, that they should have just “played every season and kept the cards” 4Head

As I said, wild is NOT for new players, unless they are willing to buy at least 60 packs of every old expansion (that would be 10 exapansions (also 4 adventures). Not to mention that you would still need the standard set (classic + 6 expansions + 1 adventure).
Standard rotation was specifically made so that new players don’t need to buy the entire ever growing card library.

Yes, it was made to make them to buy new packs again and again in endless loop.

And you would like to not get anything new at all and play the classic set for 6 years? Because that’s the only alternative.