Coming back, Checking out the new progression system

Hello all. I had not played hearthstone in a long time because i felt that the 3 daily quests per day meant it was more of a maintenance than playing for hours.

I am going to start a new account on EU and i will try the battle pass. It reminds me of league of legends account levels.

I know i am probably getting suckered in, but i think grinding exp might feel more rewarding (psychologically speaking)

Is now a good time to return to the game ?

I plan to level classes and f2p for a bit until i can get my bearings of what is good value and a spending strategy or spending plan with real money.

How do you all like the system ? do you guys find it nice for new players and returning players ? Any tips you can give me ? thanks all.

Short answer? No.
Long answer: The game got a 200+ dollars maintenance fee per expansion if you want to have more than a single deck… They took away adventures, they added a mid expansion and now it has 3 expansions per year instead of 2 and 2 (and maybe 3) legendaries per class making it impossibly expensive.
Most players are leaving alltogether now and every day is queues are getting harder to get. It FEELS like the game is dying. You should probably wait a couple weeks to see if they adress the issue before trying to return.

PS: Also, I bought the battlepass and it’s not anything to write home about, the XP gain is negligible (you still need close to 20 hours of gameplay to level up in the last levels, instead of 23) and the portraits are incredibly dull and not a single one has new dialogue so they are literally, 20 dollars gifs and they are not even pretty this time around.

Are you trying to build full golden collection or what are you buying with that?

I bought preorders (50-80 packs) for most of expansions (not even all) and now I’m sitting on over 30k dust. With 200$/expansion I would probably actually be halfway to full golden collection…

Hearthstone is an expensive game (150-240$/year IS very expensive, but it’s not 600), but there’s no need to exaggerate so much. Not to mention, that it’s possible to have a lot more than I do even without buying anything, if you really play a lot.

The “maintenance fee” is more like $50-80 per expansion for a wider range of decks. You’re only spending $200+ if you’re missing a lot of cards from older sets. This is the part that should be changed, you’re basically paying for the time you spent away from the game, with limited ways to catch up in-game (Ranked rewards can give cards from other expansions, and there are “pack rewards” from older expansions, but it doesn’t make up enough for lost time. Arena gives latest expansion packs with no variation)

Once you have enough of each set, saving up gold only for the next expansion saves $$$ in the long run. But getting to that point…

Danger Whill Robinson, Danger!