Can't spectate or challenge certain friends

Since the latest patch, I can’t spectate or challenge certain friends on my friends list. One of them can challenge me, but I can’t challenge him. This smells like a bug. Any ETA on a fix? Is it coming with the balance patch next week?

2 Likes

Are all of you running the same version? Mobile updates are usually delayed by a day or so.

See:

Same problem here (WIN 10, ASIAN server). Can’t challenge a friend, sometimes he doesn’t have an icon, sometimes the challenge menu is a total mess, Ranked chellenges got crossed out, challenging for a Brawl claims I’d have to reach lvl 20 with a hero first (all my heros are beyond level 50), sometimes it claims I would needto build a deck first. Funny thing is that my freind was able to challenge me.
On top of that tool tips for playing friends are partially located beyond the left edge of my screen.

2 Likes

Friend list works well as long as it is not scrolled down. Obviously developers don’t have enough friends to test it.

Meaning if i am experiencing this issue, which is the case until now, the cause of the problem is that my friends on my list haven’t updated theirs with the new patch? Coz obviously i have updated mine already.

This is one common reason for that kind of problems. However, it has now been quite a while since patch 17.2.0 has been released. If you can confirm all involved run the same version, then we can eliminate that possibility (and my own ability to help stops here, since I have not experienced this issue myself and am not aware of widespread problems with this functionality).

Note that version 17.2.1 is expected later today, so the version mismatch issue may contribute again.

PS: I’m bad at english sorry.
I’ve got this exact issue for a about a month now. Some of my friends in my friend list don’t have an icon next to their name and I cant spectate or challenge them. They can challenge me tho. The friends I want to play with are on the same platform and update then me (pc, 17.2.1).

1 Like

Same issue with the disappearing buttons, and messed up menus for challenge mentioned by people above. My friend can challenge me, but I cannot challenge him. This applies to both PC and Mobile, while each device is on its own network (comcast/tmobile). So I don’t expect this to be installation or network related

Additionally, we verified that our versions were matching so there should be no issue with that

Same here - partner can’t challenge me. We’re on the same patch, same wifi, same platform and have tried switching all of these things up (different connections, devices) and I can challenge him but he can’t challenge me. Would like to find out what’s going on and how to resolve.

Having same issue as others mentioned

I have the same issue. Friend can challenge me, I cannot challenge him. If i log in on his computer and he logs in on mine we still have the same problem, so it is not related to software version or the hardware. It is always him who can challenge me and I cannot do him, neither on my PC, mac or phone.

Only one of my friends does not have a spectate icon, did you get it fixed?

Make sure both you and your friend are set to “online”, not “away” or “busy”.

Ok I can also not spectate him. Challenge is still unchanged - same problem for months! Same with all the updates. Must be account connected because if we switch computers we get the same issue. Person A can spectate and challenge, person B cannot.

1 Like

So we fixed it and the fix was ridiculous - for some reason my Battlenet Launcher status had been changed from Online to Away and when I changed it back to Online, I could be challenged again.

Not sure how this happened though, I’ve never touched the status on my Battlenet Launcher.

I also get this issue with one of my friends. He can challenge or spectate me just fine.

This has actually been happening over several patches.

We had briefly fixed it by disconnecting as friends, then reconnecting with bnet id only. As soon as we connect with email again I lose the ability to challenge / spectate, etc.

I CANT SPECTATE PLS BLIZZARD FIX THIS crap ONCE AND FOR ALL