Cannot launch Hearthstone

Hearthstone will not launch since patch 14.4.0.31268 (3 June 2019). It seems to freeze on the opening screen (tavern doors).

I see the following message in system.log:

6/5/19 09:04:37.902 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.Hearthstone.29128) Could not resolve origin of domain. XPC services in this domain’s bundle will not be bootstrapped: error = 109: Invalid property list, taint = (null)

Deleting the plist and letting it be rebuilt does not help.

Specifically, I tried deleting the following:

~/Library/Preferences/unity.Blizzard Entertainment.Hearthstone.plist
~/Library/Preferences/Blizzard/*

Reinstalling the app does not help.

This is on a MacPro(1,1) running OS X 10.10.5.

EDIT: I also tried Scan & Repair to no avail. I have also tried selecting a different region when logging into battle.net and when trying to launch hearthstone. I have also tried setting my DNS to 8.8.8.8. Nothing has helped so far.

3 Likes

I have the same issue and would like a resolution.

4 Likes

Same here. Since Hearthstone downloaded the most recent update (Yesterday around 1pm CDT) I cannot move past the loading doors.
Restarted computer, un/reinstalled, have run the Scan & Repair tool.

Please help :frowning:

3 Likes

Same here. Macbook pro stuck on the tavern doors for the past three days. Uninstalling , scan/repair doesn’t work.

4 Likes

So I think I figured it out… I run a MacBookPro(bought it back in 2013) and I can only imagine the video card or something of that nature is no longer supported. Back in 2014 Blizzard launched a patch for Diablo2(I know, Im archaic) that wouldn’t work with windows XP. The forums were in an uproar and Blizzard said nothing(still to this day!) but we all did our homework and figured it out then… Blizzard made a patch that they knew full well would not work with older models of PC, OS, video card, etc. but they wouldn’t tell you that was the reason you were unable to play because then we would raise hell about it. Its not like we are going to go out and spend money on a new computer/parts to to be able to play regardless of people who could or couldn’t afford it. Hell… Diablo 2 still won’t work on Macs and they never bothered and never cared. Balls in your court Blizzard… Prove me wrong and shut me up. You could atlas say something. 192 new tech support topics… Hire some people, devote some time, EARN that money you’re making off of us!!!

1 Like

same version (10.10.5), stuck at the loading screen tavern doors.

would be awesome to get a response

Howdy!

An important call out here is Hearthstone’s System Requirements for Mac OSx the lowest is version 10.12+ and we recommend 10.13+ .

If you are using OS X version 10.10.5 our suggestion would be to upgrade the Operating System if at all possible to 10.12+

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the response, Zuvykree. I did, in fact, check the system requirements when I installed Hearthstone, and it worked until a few days ago. I must have missed the update to the requirements in the patch notes. I would like to note that other Blizzard games give the user a notification on launch when the OS is deprecated. Perhaps the Hearthstone team would consider implementing that check as well.

I believe that OS X 10.11 is the best I can do since later versions require SSE 4.1, which is not supported by this hardware. So I guess it’s finally time to uninstall Hearthstone from this computer. Thanks for your help.

Updating to Mojave (and purging massive cache to free up disk space to actually download Mojave) solved it for me…

Thank you very much.

Hi Jaewyn,

I have a laptop with Mac OS X 10.11.6 and it has been working for me so far this week. I also cannot update OS X beyond that, since 10.12 changes the file system and this is known to scrap my work software on this computer. Fingers crossed that I can continue to play! But for how long…?

Given that OS X 10.11 came out in 2015, and Windows 7 came out in 2009 (SP1 in 2010), it is disappointing that support for older OS does not extend as far for Mac as Windows.

Same version OS X (10.10.5) also had this tavern door issue a week or two ago after an update.
Uninstalled, cleared preferences, reinstalled, tried to scan/repair.
Nothing seems to work.
It did stop for a bit
This last update 14.4.0.31353 has just brought me back to the tavern doors that don’t ever open.

2 Likes

Same issue here. No warning about discontinuing support for certain OS has been given. I have purchased the Dalaran Heist and cannot play it, half way through.

yeah I’m version 10.14.5 same problem. also last night I was drawing invisible cards in dungeons before the game froze at the end of my opponents next turn. i could reconnect to my game only to be disconnected after the next invisible card draw. I could also see a card being shuffled into my deck for no reason, right before the invisible card.

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as the issue was resolved for the original poster. Please create your own thread or contact support.