Best time to start playing Hearthstone? Catch-Up Packs

Hello,

This question isn’t actually for me but for a friend who has been wanting to get into Hearthstone. His more a F2P player, so I want to give him the best possible start, to get as many free packs as possible.

1. I remember reading that HS gives you a lot of free packs to get started, is the promotion for new or returning players still active (any knows what you actually get; is it current expansion packs or standard packs)?
  2. These new “Catch-Up Packs” seem like a great way to get started as well. From what I understand there will be several ways to get some of them for free once the expansion launches. Does it make sense to wait for the Badlands expansion to launch before starting to play?
  3. I am not sure if he played before but if he didnt (or did on a different account) does it make sense to do “refer a friend”? It wont screw up him getting HS new/return player bundles or what not.

Biggest question is does it make sense to wait till the expansion launches to start playing and if there are any other tips I can give him to get the best possible start (with the most free packs) I would appreciate any information.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this message. All best!

1 Like

Hi yes hearthstone does in fact give returning players a free deck they can test all the free decks for a week then make a decision to pick one.

The rewards track is amazing as we get 3 free legendaries on there i believe as well as events that give free packs and drops on twitch hs is trying hard to make the game more accessible.

I will try and found out more about catchup packs but i believe they give alot more the normal packs also i think he wil get a free pack ofc which helps alot for a returning player to compete that alone is massive as the decks are pretty decent for climbing if you pick a good one.

The one thing I know is that everyone will receive two catch-up packs on first login after the expansion launches. If your collection for any of the last five expansions is at less than 75% completion, I recommend not opening any packs of those expansions (nor Standard packs) until after you have received and opened those catch-up packs. The more cards you are still missing at that time, the more cards you will receive.

So yeah, I would definitely recommend that your friend waits a week and starts playing after Badlands launches.