Battlegrounds changes

Haven’t seen a thread on these yet. Summary:

HEROES
Shudderwock
Burbling: Cost reduced from (2) to (1) .

Queen Wagtoggle
Wax Warband : Give a random friendly Mech, Demon, Murloc and Beast +2 Attack . (instead of +1 Health)

Infinite Toki
Temporal Tavern : Cost reduced from (2) to (1) .

Patches the Pirate
Has returned to the Battlegrounds Hero Pool.
Fire the Cannons! : At the start of next combat, deal 4 damage to two random enemy minions. (increased from 3 damage)

Pyramad
Has returned to the Battlegrounds Hero Pool.
Brick by Brick : Give a random friendly minion +3 Health . (increased from +2 Health)

MINIONS
Golden Soul Juggler
After a friendly Demon dies, deal 3 damage to a random enemy minion twice . (instead of 6 damage once)

Bug Fixes and Game Improvements:

Battlegrounds : Selfless Hero’s Deathrattle will now only affect minions that do not already have Divine Shield.

Courtesy of: pcgamer (can’t link).

All in all pretty good. Surprised Rafaam isn’t getting nerfed, but Toki is getting buffed quite strongly (and fueling the theory that next expac will be time traveling based).

Selfless hero should become a fair bit better, at at 4 damage patches hero power become marginally more useful in the midgame.

Wagtoggle now seems strong? I’m unsure if this will make a big impact for menagerie decks or not. Arguably health is more useful for those decks, though.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Shudderwock feels powerful now. I may be tempted to try it. You get 3 brann value without needing a board space for 3 coins.

Queen is still bad. In BG health seems alot more valuable than attack. 2 HP will be nicer.

Toki seems god again. Pre release toki was the best of the best and if I didn’t read wrong, this is pre release toki.

Patches seems okay, now better than rag but still a below average hero.

Prymaid, not too sure. As I said health is good but is 1 more enough to save this terrible hero?

Soul juggler changes is great, something I always want. More pings is stronger.

Selfless hero gonna be really good against nerferian. Golden selfless and baron is all divine shield up again.

1 Like

Shudderwock, toki, wagtoggle will be a lot better now. I’m excited to play the 1st two.

Pyramad still seems pretty bad. At least make the power targetable.

I think patches is still bad but I hear streamers calling him decent even before buff… which is surprising to me… so idk. Anyway, I think it would have been cooler if his hero power was like 2dmgx3shots or 3x3 shots to give him more utility and differentiate him from rag more (who is also pretty bad…).

I’m pretty sure they are not rotating out any heroes so there will be more in the pool now which is good. So there is more variety and we don’t see the same strongest heroes every game.

Soul juggler is nice small buff. I’m assuming it can hit 2 different minions now not the same minion twice (to get around divine shields). The wording is a bit confusing.

Selfless hero buff is huge but I think that’s how it should have worked to begin with. Anyway, It’s a really good minion now and probably viable for the entire game sometimes. Wouldn’t be surprised if it gets nerfed to t2 at some point.

1 Like

I feel like they will likely revert the Shudderwock change because 1 gold for a double battlecry is going to get out of hand. Brann gives the same effect, sure but it takes up valuable board space. Infinite Toki will go from awful to great with just one mana adjustment to her hero power. Queen Wagtoggle–I feel as though it might be underrated. This is essentially an early Lightfang except instead of the health it is now more attack. I think attack is more valuable that health in the early game. If you build a good Menagire and acquire a lightfang it will be incredibly easy to steamroll in the late game. Patches still sucks. Pyramid still sucks.

Soul Juggler change makes demons better considering you a triple Soul Juggler against a divine shield comp was terrible. Selfless hero will no longer be sold back for more potent options and a staple of the Baron Rivendare meta.

Overall these changes are good. Would like to see dragons added to the mode so Menagerie Magician and Zoobot get to shine more often once again. There seems to be this key component missing in the game like it’s just simply too easy to get synergy of one tribe. You aren’t always forced to build a board of opposing tribes. Also I would greatly appreciate it if the animations went faster, if the battling phase happened quicker, and if everyone went into the buy phase at a similar time.

1 Like

She was changed to her initial beta version (which replaces a minion for 1 gold instead of adding a minion for 2 gold). She was quite good then, but that also likely had to do with most good players not understanding the game the way they do now.

Quite good is an understatement. She was the best of the best even better than millificent at close beta.

BIG buff for Shudderwock.

It isn’t just “oh, you get an extra reroll.” It’s about being able to use the HP, at all, late in the tavern session when you’re low on gold. And without selling something desperately.

It’s also a nice boost to the early game, where using it on a token generator becomes “free” because you can sell the token later. Makes me wonder if turn 2 buy + HP will be a better play if you have a token.

Remember, you can triple the tokens, themselves, not just the primary minion.

1 Like

For wock case, a turn 2 buy still seems weak for me. Even turn 1 token, turn 2 hero power token, get a trips and T2 minion. Wont it be better to just level turn 2 level and freeze, turn 3 HP buy token generator, get a T3 minion, sell both initial token generator and grab a good 2 drop if available?

The issue with not leveling on turn 2 is the next time its avail is turn 4. Thats alot slower than all other players.

1 Like

Yeah…that’s a much better line. Being likely to get a T3 from a triple on turn 3 is actually pretty nuts - it’s like being AFK, but you still get more benefit later.

1 Like

Easy buff for your Annihilan. Now, you won’t need to search for a Nathrezim to buff annihilan’s attack to a critical point.

It still feels a bit underwhelming for a hero, but now a cleave/annihilan setup might emerge from this change.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it underwhelming. It’s a lot better than it was. Has some general use and if you setup a specific unit combination it’s pretty nuts.

I’d dare say that buffing even 1 or 2 good targets is worth it for 1 mana.

nothing important…are they joking/sleeping? the matchmaking still makes zero sense (you can face the same 2 or 3 dudes whereas there’re 8 players in each lobby), the shared pool also makes zero sense (you can have a game with 0 cobalt/rivendare/wraith/watcher etc…while your opponents have several ones), the attack order/targets makes no sense aswell (your best minions get sniped while your opponent’s ones die last)

My general thoughts:

Toki is going to be really strong in the mid to late game with the buff to her hero power. She might become one of the strongest heroes in BG with this change. It kind of feels like Yogg 2.0 where you can basically highroll your way to victory. Maybe not as good as Yogg, but close to it.

Shudderwock will be far more viable with a cheaper hero power. This makes Mech builds with Shudderwock using Leaper and Clunker to buff Cobalt Guardians/Mechs a scary thought as that’s already one of the strongest builds in BG.

Wagtoggle will similarly become more viable with the change to her hero power. +1 health to possibly 4 units is decent in the early game, but basically useless by the late game. Giving +2 attack to possibly 4 units can be really strong in the mid to late game, especially when you think about this hero power with early Cave Hydra or finding a late Battlemaster as your only demon.

Patches is slightly better but still pretty meh. His hero power will be a little better in the early game but late game will serve the same purpose of pinging off Divine Shield. One of the biggest late game advantages is that it can snipe a Brann that’s used to shield a minion from cleave damage.

Pyramad is probably still going to be a bottom tier hero. Unlike the random nature of something like Wagtoggle’s buff, you have no way to control which character this Hero Power hits unless you only have 1 minion. Maybe if you press the button almost every turn it’ll win you enough rounds to pay off. It just doesn’t seem very strong on its face compared to other Hero Powers.

The golden Soul Juggler double ping is a huge buff against Divine Shield comps.

The Selfless Hero buff is just a solid quality of life change. It makes golden Selfless Hero look pretty strong in late game strategies.

1 Like

Some of the changes are really good. But, really makes me wonder when they are making some ok heroes better while ignoring trash heroes. Makes the design team seem pretty clueless.

Shudderwock wasn’t the best, but wasn’t that bad.

Yet, you left heroes like Sir Finley that adds +1/+1 to a random minion.
The junk hero that adds a recruitment map which is total junk.
+1/+1 to demons is totally useless if not playing demons.
+3 health to a random minion is junk as well.
Re-adding Patches the Pirate makes no sense at all when Rag has the same effect but does 8 damage. Now, maybe if you made him target 3-4 random he might be worth adding.

Do you NOT realize that targeting a random minion is crap compared to being able to target. Who wants to buff a minion they plan to sell soon?

The queen seems strong now. Being able to buff a solo hydra. This should encourage a lot more mixed builds.

I wish they could do something to make a kind of AI attacking. Currently, the randomness of attacks can make all the diff of winning or losing. When that key minion never gets attacked even though there is no taunt to prevent. Seems to me this format will never be anything more than a novelty until they can take some of the luck factor that currently dictates.

You know what? You’re right. I take the underwhelming part back.

At first I considered only the late game potential of the hero power. After a second thought though, I remembered these early game uses:

Buffed rat pack (very strong early game impact)

Easy and quick buffs to hydra (great midgame impact)

An early game board will have several different tribes. The buff will affect most of the board.

So yeah, QW might be a considerable factor in the new meta. Her beast and late game setups will be really decent.

Elise is actually a pretty good hero if you know what you’re doing. Above average for sure.

3 Likes

Elise is quite strong, but I agree overall. Finley and Jaraxxus are just terrible, so they buffed Shudder?
I get the feeling the buffs aren’t entirely made with balance in mind, but more to advertise BG’s. To make people think “omg, Shudder and Toki sound op, I can’t wait to try them!” and next thing they’re logging back onto HS for more games.

1 Like

last I used she gives a 3 cost ability to discover a minion of current tier. The only use being if you have 3 mana and no good minions to choose from… might get a chance at something better.

You’re severely underestimating how useful that is. It allows you to instantly get a higher tier minion on level up. AND it’s a superpowered free reroll that guarantees you can choose from 3 high tier minions instead of a regular reroll that costs gold and might not even get you 1 high tier minion.

2 Likes

yeah, I must be missing something. It didn’t seem to give a chance to discover higher tier minion. Just minions of the tier i’m currently on, which is useless once I upgrade to higher tier. A regular refresh costs 1 gold, but the discover costs 3. It gives no chance to get anything better than one’s current tavern offers. So, it seems like nothing more than a refresh tavern option, except you are forced to pick one. Sure, it may give 3 minions of current tier to choose from, but that alone doesn’t gaurentee anything good.