As a new player im never going to catch up

i have been playing this game for 12 months on and off and have struggled to get any where,im not playing heathstone at the moment it’s just a fruitless grind i have 6 hero’s over level 20 and have no real deck that synergizes no decent legendary’s to make it fun,im priced out of ever being able to catch up with the older decks ect its way too expensive too many expansions to catch up on,no new players are going to enjoy this game after 3months unless there is some kind of way to acquire new and old cards faster to keep the game fresh and with some kind of fighting chance in ranked…

2 Likes

It can suck playing this game if you don’t have a decent deck or if you already have an established game with no real cards to use. My suggestion is if you arent willing to buy card packs, create a new account, you get more than enough cards from a fresh account to have a decent deck capable of going up to rank 10 at least. Do these things in order.

1. Start new account and run through blizzards boring tutorial.
  2. unlock all 10 heroes through practice mode
  3. Log onto the game through a mobile device, preferably a galaxy s6 as it gives 3 card packs, play 1 game on mobile for an extra card pack.
  4. Do lich king fight for 1 legendary can be used in a deck or dusted.
  5. Figure out a cheap budget deck an class you want to play and dust everything you don’t need. Craft what you do need.
  6. For every 5 ranks from 50 to 30 you get 3 card packs, at 25 you get 10 card packs.
    This is more than enough cards to build a Tier 1/2 deck depending on your luck.
    Hope this helps, if you come back to read it.
4 Likes

This game is the kind of games that need lot of time to get lot of cards…we dont forget how much helps a good arena run ;p

With the upcoming expansion, now is probably the best time to get started. Focus on earning coins and packs from expansions that released in 2018. Once the expansion drops, craft Whizbang or try and get Zayle, Shadow Cloak in the new expansion.

I’ve only been playing for 3 months (not even that) and I do fine. Rank 4 last 2 seasons.

Although I have spent a bit, but I haven’t invested in anything pre Witchwood. As they rotate.

Once the rotation happens and all those overpowered cards go wild, I reckon I can push for legend.

I think with minimal investment you can do well as a new player, you just need to study a bit and know how to play against different decks.

For my first f2p journey i never bought a rotating set of cards and focused on saving gold/just doing daily quest that does more than the minimum(50) each day if possible when a fun tavernbrawl comes around you can grind a few wins each day for some free gold (10g/3win) If you want to gain packs at a better exchange do arena (even 3 win average is fine if your also finishing quests)

If you play world of warcraft i spent my gold there converting to Bnet balance then spending on the 'new year’s preorders are pretty good bang for the buck

You’ll be caught up in a year if you only focus on Standard and the new sets that releases.
Start with Rise of Shadows, buy packs and craft only for that one. When you have enough cards start saving for the next expansion. Then when Year of the Raven rotates you’ll be on equal ground to all other players.

1 Like

Preferably don’t craft anything until 2-3 weeks after the expansion, or more, unless you have plenty of dust to spare. Also, it helps to focus on only a couple of your favorite classes. If you dust your least favorite classes, study the best decks and the trends, and use your dust wisely, you shouldn’t have too much trouble putting together a competitive deck or two.

Hearthstone is easily frustrating for anyone trying to catch up on collection.

For the fun of being able to play different decks and having legendaries, yes it’s going to cost money and/or time.

For me I made sure I was enjoying the game with cheap, powerful decks and reaching Rank 5 every month, to prove to myself I could compete with the older decks, before I spent money to get that broader collection.

It’s a big time investment for anyone to get to that point, and there is no good way to “earn” older cards (no, using all your dust doesnt count). While older players have had the option to earn gold and packs as each new expansion releases and spend less $$ over time, newer players have limited options.

You can definitely have enough resources over time to focus on a few decks, though, as Xnstra said, to study a bit and know how to play against different decks.

Arena is also the “free” way to get that bigger collection across sets over time, but 50% of arena runs are bound to be bad investment for your gold, so you have to be decent somewhat.

If they offered older packs in Arena or elsewhere that would go a long way for being able to catch up.

Well right after rotation you can actually “catch up” if you accept that you will play a maximum of 1-2 decent decks after half a year.
I also joined the game 3 years ago when around the same amount of cards were in the game and the first cards already had rotated out of standart. The cardpool gets smaller again and you have a decent chance - just don’t expect to play Wild Mode anytime soon without paying money like crazy.

Arena is your only option for balanced games until you build up a better collection.

So don’t actually craft whizbang. You won’t use it.

Don’t do arena. You won’t win.

Do you have more or less cards than starting over would get you? The 25ish packs would give you on average 1 legendary, 5 epics, 20 rares, and the rest commons. Probably no dust. But really unless you have cards you want already you should evaluate in terms of just dust (100 per pack average). Do you have more or less than 2500 dust including cards you won’t use and can dust?

If less, start over. If more, stick with it.

There’s always a cheap competitive deck.

I’m not actually even sure trying to keep up is worthwhile, let alone catch up.

I’ve been playing 18 months and have played less and less over that time, I’m now down to 2 x 30 minute daily quest clears per week and that is it.

And the less I have played the more appalled I have become at some of the card types that are played, which you only really notice when you’ve stepped back and been playing other things.

When you play too much you know about them but you are just numb.

I demolished a couple of opponents this morning with a trash ‘play 50 murlocs’ decks, by round 4 they realised that my now full board of 1-3 mana murlocs - including the ones that power up when you play another murloc - couldn’t be cleared in time.

The cards being used where I play can just be lame, they aren’t the ones complained at at legendary, but it shows the underlying problem with the game.

The more I play my trash daily quest decks - which I enjoy as they are so random and weak - the less I have any interest in ‘competeing’.

Because ‘competeing’ in this is based on certain card types or just a couple, something else that turns me completely off, being that I am demolishing an opponent with my trash deck and out comes their ‘I was waiting for this one card to win’ card.

If people want to ‘compete’ good luck to them, personally it is all so cookie cutter rote play I struggle even with the dailies now.

If the art and sound direction weren’t so good for the cards I wouldn’t even bother.

Hearthstone will inevitably keep on releasing new cards, and sometimes, newer cards outclass old cards. For example, Genn and Baku outclasses Justicar.

You don’t need the entire collection from the beginning of the game.

If you play regularly and grind out daily quests, you will amass a collection, and from that point on, you can collect a lot of cards from each expansion.

If you ever need to craft a card from rotated expansions, you always can.

Your problem is ‘on and off’. If you don’t want to invest money you have to invest at least a minimum amount of time and complete your dailies every day.

I’m very casual f2p player, and for the past year I almost haven’t played Hearthstone, but still completed all of my dailies and been able to save up 7000-8000 gold per expansion depending on how many free stuff Blizzard gives away in special events.

It means 210 - 240 packs per year + packs from pack quests + packs from weekly Brawls + packs from special events. That’s enough to make several competitive decks.

I’ve reached Legend as a f2p player after a year of playing. At that time I had two cheap competitive decks. Now I can craft 5-8 competitive decks per expansion depending on their cost. Currently sitting on ~6900 gold and 17k dust (haven’t crafted anything for almost a year), still have a few playable decks like Odd Paladin, Cube Lock, Even Lock, Odd Rogue, Zoo Lock, Odd Mage, Secret Odd Mage and a few cards missing to fully craft other great meta decks.

For now, you could create some improvised zoo deck - a deck with a lot of good cheap minions so that you can easily flood the board, trade anything your opponent puts on the board and send the rest to the face.

P.S. Arena can be a potential goldmine if you are ready to learn and improve at it. I hate it myself, but it’s better value than buying flat packs. It’s also great mode if you just want to play the game and don’t want to be at a disadvantage against people with better collections.

1 Like

Because your playing the game the way they designed it to manipulate you into buying packs but your not buying into the system so your on the outside looking in.

If your not buying packs to get or craft legendaries you’ll constantly be behind and this is on purpose. Either find a different way to play with the cards you have, used the most powerful card the credit card OR break out of the fake af hamster wheel by doing arena draft runs where peoples pay2win collections are irrelevant so your back on a somewhat level playing field.

That’s assuming you can stomach the mind numbing grind for cards. It’s reminescent of world of Warcraft gear to me. Blizzard always has us chasing the latest and greatest cards. It’s a never ending cycle. Then new cards come out and all the cards (gear) you worked hard for is obsolete now.

No you wont and these fanboi’s are all telling you lies. Leave while you can go join Magic the gathering much better then this pos game.

Magic is expensive too. Card games suck.

You’ve been playing for a year and you still don’t have anything? I know the feels of being new to a card game but it took me like 3 months max maybe to get in the swing of things (has never spent a cent!). The trick is to just focus on getting those quests out of the way and stick to brawls/unranked until youve got the cards you need. your best bet is to focus on the new expansion and be ready for when the previous year rotates out