As a Mage player, should I just quit?

I mean, look at the cards we’re getting in this mini set. They’re total garbage. Not a single synergy card with any of our current decks. A spellburst that only works when the enemies are frozen, a 5 mana legendary that gives us one or maybe two spells, and a mana biscuit that isn’t even worth putting in our decks.
How exactly do these three cards make Mage relevant in the meta? They don’t. This is the most blatant example of blizzard just not giving two craps about this class I’ve ever seen. Mages are literally getting NOTHING to help them in this meta, and they’re already one of the worst classes in it.
I’m so glad I stopped paying money for this game, when I can’t play the class I want to because it can’t compete.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about the one decent Mage/Shaman card, the 2 mana dormant +2 spell damage. Now if only we had some good spells to use with all those spell damage minions. Well I guess I can use Cram Session to draw 3 cards that don’t have any synergy with spell damage, so that’s something at least.

You can play mage in wild, where is one of the top classes.
Another solution would be to play another class that you like

2 Likes

I’m F2P, all the cards that aren’t Mage cards have long sense been dusted, the only other class I have cards for is Paladin…and I don’t really ENJOY playing Paladin. I’ve tried Wild but it’s not satisfying to play for some reason. I was just hoping that since Mage is on the bottom of the tier list right now, we’d get SOMETHING that would fit into one of our current decks, but of course that was too much to hope. Blizzard just wants to keep Hunter on top, just like every meta.

No idea what you’re talking about. I’ve already got most of my Cyclone list figured out for tomorrow.

On top of that, Glacier Racer will give slower Mage decks FAR more anti-Aggro power. Between that and making Biscuits, it might very well be enough to give Mozaki some teeth.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a bummer that Secrets didn’t get any support, but the cards we got are definitely still usable.

8 Likes

Glacial Racer has a lot of potential, I agree! If anything, I could foresee it being one of the more complained cards this year, lol. Secret mage isn’t really that far off from being viable in standard. There are elements (no pun intended) in that deck that are definitely already staple or higher.

I hope you’re right, but I’m not holding my breath that any of these new additions will somehow be the missing piece of the puzzle that makes mages great again (haha seewhatididthere).

You guys don’t believe in Yogg AND IT SHOWS

1 Like

Yogg has screwed me over one too many times for me to be able to trust that crazy mofo. Reno too, I hope when Reno dies he suffers eternally in Yogg’s noodley appendages.

You actually touched on something pretty relevant in your OP edit - Imprisoned Phoenix.

Cyclone Mage lives or dies by its ability to draw needed pieces. Phoenix not only works with both Elemental Allies and Cram Session, but very easily turns things like Ray of Frost, Brain Freeze, Arcane Missiles (from Violet Spellwings) into solid tempo-swinging cards.

On top of THAT, Mana Biscuits allow you to have decent little pop-off turns without needing Sorcerers Apprentice. Doubling the chances to make a meaningful Cyclone/Chenvaala turn consistently/earlier once again improves the power of the deck.

How many times have I gotten stuck with Chenvaala and a couple 1-cost spells and needed to wait until turn 5 or 6 to do anything with them? Now, if you have as few as TWO 1-cost spells sitting in your hand (from Spellwing or your deck, whatever) you can Conjure Mana Biscuit on 2, drop Chenvaala on 3 into biscuit + 2 spells for 7/10 worth of stats with a “must remove” component.

The versatility of that deck just went up a LOT with this mini-set.

4 Likes

How DARE YOU.

Don’t listen to him, he just doesn’t like you, my poor poor babies.

Nah, screw Yogg and Reno fo sho.

2 Likes

Elemental package with grand final was too slow for a while. With the miniset, Jaina received a midrange toolbox to contest the board and generate some value till she can use her finisher.

the best cards in new sets are usually not identified right away, so just have some patience. anyone else remember when pen flinger just was “a slightly better elven archer”?

3 Likes

Op, i was positively salivating at Imprisoned Phoenix and Mana Biscuit.
Like, really.

1 Like

I don’t get the mentality of ever pigeonholing yourself into playing just one class. It’s one of the dumbest things to do when it comes to playing this game particularly if it’s paired with the expectation that your class will always be good.

Even as a free to player, you can play multiple classes without straining the bank. You should play multiple classes not only for the sake of fun, but so that you can still climb when one of your main classes are in the dumpster.

4 Likes

Are you kidding me? Mage looks like the most interesting class from this mini set. I really want to try out a mozaki combo deck with all the new tools mage is getting in this set. Throw in some of the cyclone package since the synergy is obvious and the deck looks like it could really be a thing for the next couple months.

1 Like

U can do 3 damage on your opponent’s board with frost nova.

I simply don’t want to pay the money it would require to play 5 or 6 different classes effectively. Maybe if I wasn’t playing Mage it would be different, but since Highlander has been it’s only good deck for awhile now, you know how expensive that is, something like 16,000 dust. I used to pay the $50 for the packs every new xpac, but now I’m not going to be doing that, so I’m stuck with one class that I can field pretty much any deck, and Paladin which I can do maybe one or two of it’s decks.

you dont have to play every class, but its not that difficult to have decks for atleast 4 classes

2 Likes

I’ve dropped maybe 50 dollars since I’ve started playing this game, and half of that was on cosmetics/adventure wings from 5 years ago. You don’t have to spend that much to keep up with several classes.