A Month IN and this is what I got

NP, YW

I was once a huge advocate for improving the new player experience, because I realized that there would be huge exoduses of players over time, and attracting influxes of new players along with maintaining proper game balance to hang on to existing players for along as possible, was going to be essential for maintaining Hearthstone’s popularity.

Talking to new players was one of the things that helped to sustain my interest in Standard, and responding to your post triggered me to tryout a couple of Aggro Mage games.

I lost both games with Aggro Mage at Bronze Rank 10. The first game was against a Pure Paladin player, which I got them down to two life, but I made a single mistake, causing me to miss a coin flip chance for a win. The second loss was against Ramp Druid, which is probably a very bad match up for Aggro Mage.

Right now, even at the lowest ranks, most players are probably playing a complete deck list for an established deck in the meta.

Pure Paladin and Ramp Druid may not be tier 1 decks, but they should beat any budget deck that a new player would be able to make. Standard currently suffers from so much terrible balance and powercreep issues (i.e. Bran + Astalor, etc.) that it’s really a bad time for new player to try to compete on the ladder. I would expect most new players to just quit Hearthstone—or at least constructed—within the first few months trying the game, out of pure frustration.

Anyways, having sampled a couple of games of Standard, I think my recommendation towards building a good Frost DK deck is the best advice I can offer. Getting access to a solid tier 1 or tier 2 should be quite helpful, and Frost DK is one of the cheapest decks to build from those tiers. Good luck to you.

1 Like