A Designer's Rants

I’m not new but w/e I’ll post here, won’t matter anyway.

Let’s just get to the point, the recent nerfs. Here’s my opinion on how the nerfs should be done.

1. Conjurer’s Calling
    Remove its Twinspell keyword. Looking at its effect, 3 cost is alright, but what made it op is twinspell.
  2. Luna’s Pocket Galaxy
    At the very least, nerf it to 6. Nerfing to 7 is blatant dumbness imo. But I won’t take that approach, if I were to nerf it I’d change its effect to:
    “For the rest of the game, the Cost of your minions is halved, rounding up.”
    Still costing 5. I mean, 5-cost do nothing? If this effect is still op, then change it to only affect minions currently in the deck. Still op? Finally nerf it to 6 cost.
  3. Dr. Boom, Mad Genius
    I like the flavor of 7/7/7 on the notorious doctor 7. Sadly for him, blizzard simply doesn’t know or doesn’t want to nerf things beside by cost-changing. There are many variations to this, but mine goes like this:
    “7 cost, 7 armor, Battlecry: Discover 2 Mechs and Magnetize them with Boom Bots.”
    Hero Powers:
    “1 cost - Boom Module: Give a Mech explosives. Swaps each turn.” (Giving explosives means giving it rush or charge randomly, plus boom bot’s deathrattle)
    “2 cost - Boom Bots: Summon 2 Boom Bots. Swaps each turn.”
    “3 cost - Boom Shield: Gain 7 Armor. Swaps each turn.”
    “4 cost - KABOOM!: Trigger 1-4 Booms. Swaps each turn.” (Booms are 1-4 damage to a random enemy, same as Boom Bot’s deathrattle)
    There are only 4 hero powers now, and mechs won’t have rush unless by using Boom Module. Magnetizing with boom bots won’t increase the mechs’ cost but will still give them +1/+1 alongside the deathrattle.
  4. Extra Arms
    This card has no Twinspell, so why must both copies share the same cost? I’d rather have the first copy (extra arms) has 2 cost, then the second copy (more arms) has 3 cost. If PRIEST is still OVERPOWERED, then consider nerfing other cards instead of this one. (I’m a priest player guys, notice the caps lock please)
  5. Barnes
    Just make this 7-cost 6/6 or 5/5, whatever. Big Priest sucks, but I do disagree having this dude super high-rolling games is fun. 7 cost is perfect as this is a neutral card, and neutral cards should be less efficient than class cards, in this case Barnes should be worse than Shadow Essence.

There are a lot of other things that can be better both design-wise and balance-wise, but I’m trying to be on-topic here. There’s also inconsistency issues that grows more apparent by time. Like how I read someone mentioned how priest got their identities stolen by other classes, then how Echo appears outside its own set as non-keyword (Witch’s Brew, Unstable Evolution), and the matter which I’d love to discuss, Spell Damage.

Well, since I just stated it, might as well just blurt it out here. Instead of Spell Damage, HS should have Spellpower instead. While Spell Damage improves numeric values that only deals damage, Spellpower improves ANY numeric values on spells. But wait, won’t that just be overpowered? Well, there’s a catch, it will only improve numerals (numeric symbols, actual numbers), and not numbers written with words.

This will open up design space (that HS desperately needs it seems…), and give spells more depth. Here’s an example, these are basic card-draw spells and notice the difference:
“(Mage) 3 cost - Arcane Intellect: Draw two cards.”
“(Priest) 0 cost - Inspiration: Draw 0 cards.”
“(Rogue) 2 cost - Dash: Draw 1 card. Combo: Costs one less.”
So, arcane intellect is not affected by Spellpower, while the other 2 spells are. There’re complications on cards like Power of the Wild that states minion stats, here’s my take on rewording it:
“Choose one - Give your minions (+1/+one); or summon a (three/2) Beast.”
I did try jamming it in hearthcards, and it looks fine. It looked rather weird to me only because I was not yet used to this new convention.

Anyway, when blizzard buffed cards, I thought HS is going for the better. But no, this recent nerfs exactly shows that HS is to be left behind. How Pocket Galaxy got nerfed to its EXACT unplayable state is more than enough to show that the devs don’t care about the game in its core, or unable to. This might show that the game is there simply for money, like no care about what it is, so long that it hands them money. Hence the lazy-nerfs and lazy-design.

Even if this game can be free to play, internet connection can never be free. So the term wasting money on the game is true both literally and figuratively (as in time = money, and we did waste time). But should we waste more in this? I mean, many of us wasted EVEN MORE by trying to fix the game, suggesting this and that, sending feedbacks, being a good fan. Looking at HS now, I’d rather leave and stop hoping the game can be better, because this game is just a money machine to them.

Oh yeah, if you got here because of the title, I am a designer, card game designer to be precise. I’m stating this here just to explicitly show that I’m not just making random rants.