28.0 Updated Free Decks for New and Returning Players

16 days really blizzard? I am also having this problem so glad it wasn’t fixed before I had time to experience this (sarcasm)

IIRC, that deck’s epics were 2x Preparation, which is/was core, so you don’t get the cards, and I think one or two of the legendaries might have been core (Tess, IIRC) and/or uncraftable freebies anyway, similar to Ignis.

But yeah, I think it was 4 craftable leggos in that deck, and we probably won’t see that much value again. On the other hand, catch up packs are now a thing, and new/returning players also get those, so… swings and roundabouts?

This is not true, or at least it wasn’t.
When I got the 27.0 Mage deck on an account of mine I was able to dust Aegwynn which I did for 400 dust. I am pretty sure (unless it got changed with this patch) that you can dust the core cards because you are given the Wild version.

Nope, only Tess.
It still is 5 not core Legendaries with Astalor and Queen Azshara included.
That’s why everyone said that you should take this Loaner deck if you are gonna get one.

Don’t hold me on the ‘core cards are dustable’ part but I am confident I had dusted Aegwynn back then, so Tess was probably dustable also making it 6 Legendaries.

I am aware of that, but it’s no excuse to give these subpar decks because you implemented Catch-Up Packs, these decks are horrible.

Look in your collection, select the core set, and uncheck the uncraftable box. No core card is craftable, no core card can be dusted, and that is the way its been since the core set was introduced.

You can dust the wild version if you have it, but you can’t dust the core copy. And if you do dust the wild version, you won’t be able to play it at all if the card subsequently leaves core.

Yeah, it was extremely good. Even if you don’t play Rogue, the neutrals were very playable. Even if it was 4 legendaries, those 2 neutrals would make it worthwhile on their own.

Anyhoo, do you still have the decklist?

Core cards were NEVER dustable. If they were, players would have dusted the entire set before rotation, if not immediately.

Anyhoo, I can’t find any dustable version of Aegwynn, hearthstone wiki says its only available as core (and not in a wild set). When the core set was introduced, it included some new cards which were available in the core set only, so I assume it is one of those.

And Tess was released way back in the Witchwood set, in 2018.
The original version is wild only and as such could not be played in standard format, but the free deck includes it as a core card, meaning it was not dustable.

I’m pretty sure that is exactly the excuse for cutting the value of the free decks. Whether you or I agree that it is a good excuse, or that the decks are “subpar” isn’t relevant. That’s just the way it is.

Catch-up packs were introduced with this expansion. Usually two of the 6 options for free decks are replaced at each new expansion, but this time all six were replaced. I don’t think that was coincidence…

keep reading …

List + Code

AAECAaIHBti2BNu5BMygBeigBYukBeKkBQz2nwT3nwTuoAS3swTVtgT13QSS3wT58QTfoAXRowWMpAW9ngYAAA==

2x (0) Preparation
2x (0) Ransack
1x (0) Shadow of Demise
2x (0) Shadowstep
2x (1) Gone Fishin’
2x (1) Swashburglar
1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
2x (2) Eviscerate
2x (2) Jackpot!
2x (2) Potion Belt
1x (2) Potionmaster Putricide
2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
2x (2) Sketchy Stranger
2x (4) Hench-Clan Burglar
2x (4) Swiftscale Trickster
1x (5) Queen Azshara
1x (6) Crabatoa
1x (7) Tess Greymane

I see how it seems that’s what I said, but it’s not.
I am saying the Wild version of the cards that is given from Loaners is dustable.

As I said I got given Aegwynn (the wild version) from the Loaner.
It was dustable, so same goes for Tess because you were given the Witchwood version probably.

See I am not talking about value.
I am saying the decks are simply bad, not competitive whatsoever.
Feels like they’ve thrown a bunch of cards together in an attempt to make a deck.

Cool, thanks. Looks like Tess is the only core card, so yeah. 5 craftable leggos.

No, you didn’t. You never get wild cards in free decks, you always get the uncraftable core version (exactly the same with Preparation). You wouldn’t be able to use the wild copy anyway. Also, as I mentioned, I don’t think there even is a dustable version of Aegwynn.

I was talking about value in terms of dust value, rather than the competitiveness of the deck.

Yeah. At least in some cases, I’d agree. And this guy probably does too:

I think the idea is to give new/returning players a deck that NEEDS improvement, so they will have to buy or craft cards. Also, I’m only seeing 2 neutral leggos, both of which can be easily obtained from mini-sets. So, there’s not a lot here that can be used for other classes.

Same with catchup packs: you will get plenty of cards to start making decks with, but due to randomness, you won’t be able to make a competitive deck without buying or crafting new cards.

They give you enough to get started, but if you want to win, you need more cards.

I am telling you I did.
I have a vivid memory of dusting Aegwynn, I have no reason to lie.

Whether it’s the wild version or the core version or whatever doesn’t matter, because it happened, I dusted Aegwynn I am sure of it.

Anyway, to wrap it up, they clearly decided to cut down on the dust value from the decks because of the Catch-Up Packs, sure, but at least give some good decks.

The Hunter one is at least a playable ‘Arcane Hunter’ deck list where you probably won’t need to craft 2000 - 4000 worth of dust cards to make it playable like some others. That’s a good example of what to give;
Lower value for dust, but a good deck nonetheless.

I’m not saying you’re lying, I’m saying you’re wrong.

As I said, I can’t even find a dustable version of Aegwynn. If there is one, then I would assume that you got a normal dustable copy (not a core copy) from the free deck, before her set subsequently rotated out of standard.

Anyhoo, either it is dustable and you dusted it, or it isn’t and you didn’t. There’s no point arguing about it :slight_smile:

Pandering to players who will get burned out quickly is a decision. { and then wait 90 days to maybe come back try again }Not a smart decision but definitely a decision. The real money is in retaining and keeping players. Now look not necessarily talking to Gonme here but the decisions of the higher ups baffle me.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity (and I get 100% that you are the messenger) at some point does team 5 and actiblizz (and your board) realize that chasing customers who already left is a sunk cost fallacy (but if you guys want to spend your billions that way, you do you) and that it would be more productive to allocate some resources on rewarding customer loyalty?

Another one of your company’s teams wow, actually gave real statues for their 10 year anniversary. Real legend card back statues would be nice. Other in game incentives done regularly for people who remained active players would actually INCENTIVEIZE people to remain playing, something that would be GOOD for your business.

I realize not many people there in irvine know business (in spite of community college being pretty much free in california), but these are some basic business principles anyone who took a 101 level business class should know. Keep your CURRENT customers happy and they remain CURRENT. Then you don’t have to chase them after they become FORMER customers.

While some turnover is inevitable, your own number should be telling you that something is off at this point, and one of the areas you’re failing in is CUSTOMER LOYALTY.

There’s plenty of posts around the forums about the other issues with the game, and the notable absence of the devs (since before the pandemic), but those are for another time.

Hi,
I chose the Plaguebringer when I came back, but now with the Year of Pegasus rotation Lord Marrowgar disappeared from my collection. I’m confuse, weren’t all the cards from the gifted deck supposed to be added to my collection permanently? Is this a known issue or is there something I don’t understant?
Thanks for any reply!

No. They don’t give you a craftable copy of a core card you already have. Which seems a really cheap move… on the other hand, you do get a copy of any craftable cards you already have.

Basically, a free deck includes all the CRAFTABLE cards in the deck (whether you already have them or not), and core cards are uncraftable, so you don’t get them.

So… when choosing a free deck, you should be aware that you do NOT get any core cards that are needed to play the deck, because you “already have them”… even though they are merely on loan, and will disappear if/ when they are ever removed from core.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but that is the way it works :frowning:

I want to express my grattitude for the loaner decks in this new expansion.
I didn’t even check all of them but as soon as I saw sludgelock, I was like, WOW, is this real?

You actually gave us a legitimate strong deck, and I only had to replace 4 cards to make it a rank 50 legend deck on NA.

Keep up the good job <3

EDIT: if you’re reading this, i’m just also going to ask you to ease up on the banhammer on the forum without considering the contexts of reported posts. In fact, ease up on it in general. We’re all adults here.

Thank you in advance!