I’d like to know whether this feature will change the current list of compatible devices.
it states as such, if they cant run the engine the game will no longer run
The wording is slightly confusing but I assume this should not change the device compatibility. The way I understood this was that if you don’t update in time you just have to do a full reinstall.
Please correct me if I’m mistaken.
I have asked this question directly, as a Diablo Partner…. This is from a NetEase post. It could be NetEase only, because they have their own Client…. But I want clarity.
Jadai just informed me clarification is coming
Just spoke to our engineers, and I don’t expect any devices to be affected by this engine update.
We have communicated an upcoming end of support for Windows 7 and 8, but that is not related to the engine update.
So basically if a device runs the game now it should run it after the engine update.
Gotcha.
Thank you for getting back to me. Regarding mobile devices, do you know if there will be any compatibility issues due to the Android/iOS version?
The only thing that’s public for ROW is what Ghost stated.
According to NetEase post, which is Chinese build only:
After the mid-September update, devices that haven't completed the engine update will be unable to launch the game.
Hopefully mobile (and PC) devices won’t be gated. Community Team is aware of the change in NetEase build and potential downstream impacts for us.
The post is simply saying you will eventually HAVE to update the game from your store or your game won’t launch.
On one side, I know that compatibility list hasn’t been updated in a while, and phones of 2022 are not the same at 2026. My Pixel 2XL used to viable, now my Pixel 8 is showing its age.
I hope that changes are ultimately for the best AND players that are mobile only have a path to prevent their account from getting yeeted from inactivity, over a period of time.
A player may not be able to upgrade devices for 12-18 months, and locked into a mobile contract. I know inactive accounts get purged, though I don’t know after how long.
How do you know inactive accounts get purged?
From what I know, Blizzard has only ever renamed inactive characters and given them free name changes on next login, but that’s not even happening in Immortal.
I’m pretty sure we don’t delete accounts and that would be a violation of consumer rights, but I would not be specifically involved with any of this nor am I a legal EULA expert.
Anecdotally, I’ve seen a number of posts stating they came back to that game after starting a day 1 character. When they sign back in to game (assumed same ID) the launch character is gone.
One such post came thru r/DiabloImmortal discord today: Discord . Yes name collisions are possible with the merge, but the line is always gone
I’ve seen this story frequently enough that I question it, but really can’t go back in time to authenticate
After playing and building a community of friends for just shy of 3 years I know there are plenty of users, myself included that use older mobile phones to play this game xz3 snapdragon 845 plays the game just fine on medium settings right now, but fear after the update this will make it unplayable, leading to a large drop off in players. I for one will not be purchasing a new phone to play diablo immortal as I have a work phone. In turn this will lead to less profits for blizzard (no battlepass fees) who cares about it looking nicer, as players we would have much rather had more new content
When you say ‘we don’t expect issues,’ that’s honestly not very reassuring. Not expecting a problem doesn’t mean a problem can’t occur. It feels more like PR language than a clear technical explanation, and it leaves players uncertain about what to actually expect.
To give a concrete example: Diablo Immortal currently stutters on a ROG Strix Scar G17 — a two‑year‑old gaming laptop that runs every other modern title on ultra settings without difficulty. If a machine like that struggles, it’s reasonable for players to anticipate potential complications with an engine update.
From the outside, this looks less like clarity and more like pre‑emptive distancing: the visual update is welcome, but the messaging already suggests that if something goes wrong, responsibility won’t fall on your side. That’s difficult for players to accept.
We understand that communication is challenging, and we appreciate the effort. But when the community no longer feels confident in the statements being made, that’s exactly the moment to regroup and provide clearer, more transparent guidance.
I have noted Graphics Card issues of people with old devices.