Werebear is broken in a bad way? druid class fantasy fails miserably

First things first, I played thousands if not tens of thousands of hours in D2 when it was current. Druid and Sorc were my 2 favorite classes and thats where im coming from.

problem #1 - A class fantasy broken terribly
shapeshift forms should only take you out of that form IF you cast an ability that would shift you to a different form. I chose to do a full werebear build so that i could have my class fantasy however constantly shifting in and out of bear form COMPLETELY breaks my immersion and DESTROYS my class fantasy which is absurd considering i have selected all bear abilities, earthen bulwark, and hurricane. I would propose that there be a toggle for shape shift abilities so that if you want, the druid will stay in your shift based on your last ability used if this isnt the default setting which i believe it should be. Earthen armor is able to be used in form which i like, but hurricane should also do the same.

problem #2 DAMAGE (where tf is it?)
more specifically it feels as though weapon damage has absolutely no bearing on werebear melee ability damage. not only that but fully invested 5/5 in werebear maul spirit generator and dealing 1/2 that abilities damage to normal white mobs makes me think that things are not interacting properly.

in bear form using maul rank 5, im 25 against a 27 enemy with no armor or buffs, tooltip says deal 102 damage, my hits are hitting for 58 damage, my weapon is 200 dps so how on earth am i hitting for so little?

fully healthy and fortified sometimes my pulverise deals 1k damaga and sometimes for no reaon it does 100 damage yet tooltip says 291 at 5 points and again takes NO weapon damage stats into account, 2 casts in a row of pulverise and 900 damage difference between the two that makes no sense?

fully healthy and fortified against normal white skeletons with no shields, pulverize deals 200 damage (not augmented by weapon damage) when tooltip says 290 damage

level 25 skeleton archer (ya know the ones that are supposed to be squishy?) 170 pulverize damage fully healthy and half fortified standing right on top of it.

problem #3 - Resource generation is completely borked
werebear feels sub par to lightning build so badly that its funny and depressing at the same time.
wind shear can be talented to give 15 spirit and lightning storm costs 14, AND can be talented to remember its stage so you can alternate cast and clear half the screen every second while it takes 3 melee swings that take FOREVER and deal almost no damage till you can use 1 pulverise that sometimes just does no damage for absolutely no reason, the balance of generator to spender is way way off for bear.

problem #4 - build diversity and severe lack of it
to make a literally full werewolf or werebear build… you just choose the only choice you have at each branch, its cookie cutter to a level thats below d3 as if i ever thought build creation could get worse in the diablo franchise. Hopefully the full release will have tons more options for build diversity and again hopefully this will only be a factor of the beta to keep things a surprise.

1 Like

Build diversity for druid is insane, just not in beta. But all of them work, bear slightly less so. Got a decent bear build after I figured out maul is just worthless. No reason not to go storm strike which gives 24% damage reduction, generates 4 more spirit, and attacks a lot faster.

1 Like

100% you are right, but my point is that using storm strike instead of a werebear skill breaks the immersion and class fantasy of a werebear build. My point is that there should be bear abilities that perform in different ways but similar efficiency to something like storm strike. for instance it should be a skill point: “imbue your claws with the power of the storm to extract more spirit from your foes” then its basically storm strike for werebear but keeps the class and build fantasy. Because of the nature of spirit generation to spending the OBVIOUS choice is almost always going to be the one that delivers the most spirit. so unless talenting into spirit is an option in EVERY basic ability, your skill choice becomes LUL the one that generates the most spirit every time because the name of the game is resource dumping for big dam. Not trying to attack your viewpoint, if you dont care about the class fantasy of being just a werebear or werewolf thats fine. But thats where im coming from with this post.

I definitely agree that maul shouldn’t be worthless. It attacks so slow and doesn’t generate a large amount of spirit? Wasn’t a fan a the werewolf generator either. A slight bit of poison or 10% double-strike. Might be good once we have the unique that makes it also cast stormstrike but not sure. Also the 5% chance of filling spirit could also be good. There are so many possibilities but druid is by far the most reliant on legendaries that change how the skills work.

Spoiler:

Summary

There may be an item later in the game that lets you live out all of your werebear fantasies. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Yeah druids so bad i 100% believe they need to delete the files related to it and start from scratch, I’m sure they have models that look like actual druids that they chose not to use so they can just tap those.

The only reason druids are fat is because of how trash the transformations are if werewolf and werebear were longer term of permanent transformations it would completely eliminate the need for a fat model.

Insane diversity? That’s how many builds? Because if now there is like one that at least decent, I don’t see how things will change for the better, and if the only thing that might make builds better are legendaries…uhhh not everyone will be ready to struggle trough game until those legendaries drop…

embrace the lycan form along with the bear form and this animal druid you want is really nice to play. no problem being in were form almost all the time, shred werewolf hits like a truck. but yes I would like 1 more wolf skill and 1 more bear skill for a bit more diversity.

Maybe like 20 years old truck :slight_smile: try sorc or necro and see what real dmg is

That’s called bad tuning. Which will hopefully be better at launch. The builds we have now are still decent without legendaries, they just don’t compete with the others which can much more easily feel strong.

1 Like

Diablo 4 Druid Is A Class Balance Disaster - YouTube

Lol like the legendary pylon conduit druid build? lol

Nah scrap all the current skills, select one of their unused druid models and make the werebear and were wolf transformations long term like they SHOULD HAVE BEEN this negates the need for a fat model completely.

I dont know man kills most things in 1 or 2 shreds. He talks about pulverise with 200dmg. Just 3rd hit of shred with poison is 466dmg another 290 with hit 1+2. Want dmg? There is dmg to be had. this on lv 20 druid with lots of yellows.

thats why i think something is broken, your skill should ALWAYS do the tooltip damage as a minimum with weapon damage additive no? otherwise what is the point of having a weapon if the skill wont even do tooltip damage against basic enemies. non overpower pulverize hits like a wet noodle.

Most your Problems with Damage comes from using an outdated weapon. It should be in the 350+ range on charsheet, not 200.

exactly, i came here for a class fantasy not my character as a mighty morphin power ranger with every skill use. Werebear and Werewolf should be passives that make it permanent and give you bonus damage in those forms or something.

Enemies have defense too.

Pure Werebear doesn’t spam Pulverize. It waits for Overpowers from Pulverize and “Provocation” while it slaps around enemies with Maul. You can play with Spirit Boons and Legendary Affixes for yet another Overpower via turning Pulverize and/or Rampage into Earth skills.

It just doesn’t all come together in a blatantly obvious way pre-25 in Beta.

1 Like

the monsters have armor aswell you know. that is also why you want vulnerable effects to get close to true damage.

There are uniques that do that

1 Like

Well I have news for you, only regular mobs die from shred fast enough. Elites on the other hand won’t die from 2 or even 3 full shreds… it’s not even close to what necro or sorc can do…

my current weapon is 433 dps now attack power at 458 and its still the same damage numbers, they might have gone up by 10 while the wepon power has gone up by 200. pulverize still hits like a wet napkin if its not overpowered.