VRAM leak over time?

My 4770k / 1080 Ti rig can handle the game pretty well with only character loading causing stuttering. Zone transitions are smooth as is going around town when players are sparse. Stuttering outside of those scenarios is usually caused by the game’s supremely bad asset loading optimization. It’s better in 1.1.1, but still well off the mark from where it should be.

Definitely nothing wrong with my system. I got it back to playing on low now with it capped at 60 fps. Hasn’t crashed. Wish I could play on high though. Use to be able to. Game still maxes out my gpu to 100 after 5-10 mins on high then squirts me right to desktop after closing the game, throwing a fenris error at me.

Well Nixxes seems to differ. They are the first to implement DirectStorage 1.2 in a PC port (Ratchet & Clank) and they said that it does not help if your GPU does not have enough VRAM in the first place.
Only telling you what they said.
Maybe you should talk to them, dev to dev :slight_smile:

Yeah but i prefer the zero stutter with high textures.
What’s the longest period of time you have played with ultra textures in one sitting since the patch?

That’s a 11GB VRAM card though :wink:

Wait, your GPU reaches 100°? In that case there is definately something wrong with your cooling.
There’s one thing you might try though, set the power limit in MSI Afterburner to 70% and give it a try.

Been monitoring the cooling as well. It isn’t that, as it stays around 40-60°C. Threw in a few more exhaust fans before the game was released just to be ready. 2080ti. Just replaced the fans on the card as well. Gpu fans stay quiet and don’t ramp up at all. Any of the fans for that matter. It was issues with the Vram storage that was supposedly fixed with 1.1.1 patch, but it doesn’t seem that way still for many people including myself.

Ok so you meant the GPU load.
Did you have the FPS unlocked on high?
Are you using DLSS?
Your 2080 TI should easily handle the game without going to full load unless you uncap the FPS or play in native 4K.

I have the fps capped at 60 in game, but not in the gpu settings. I have dlss and reactive turned off in game as well. I do however play on native 4k. Was wondering if that was an issue. Whatcha think?

Well here’s 15 minutes of me doing stuff in the open world, a dungeon and teleporting around to random locations. I cleared the AMD shader cache before loading up the game, just to make sure to include any shader compilation stuttering for a worst case scenario. Again, everything is on max, textures on ultra, no FSR, 1080p and locked to 80fps ingame. The GPU is allowed to use +20% more power (this is a 100w GPU, so it goes up to 120w with this setting). The video quality is crap because I’m just using game bar 60fps/high quality:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gspj4sAHbbU (It might take an hour from this post timestamp for the HD version to finish processing)
Oh and if I were to lock the fps to 80 with RTSS, it wouldn’t wiggle between 79/80 constantly. In game limiters almost always have a little wiggle room to them.

• i5-13600kf
  • 32GB DDR4 3200
  • RX 6600 8GB
  • Silicon Power 1TB gen4 NVMe 5000MB/s read (drive the game is installed on, but it isn’t the Windows drive)
  • Windows 11 22H2 fully up to date and all drivers up to date

Sorry it took so long, 3GB file uploading on 12mbps(1.5MB/s) upload speeds.

A lot of people don’t understand that in most modern titles, games use a lot of the regular system ram as a “ram drive” to hold things like slightly stale texture assets that aren’t old enough to be completely culled by garbage collection. And there’s also the shared GPU memory aspect as well, where the system can devote up to 1/2 of your system RAM as extra VRAM. So this PC has an 8GB GPU, but my shared VRAM is 24GB(8+16) because I have 32GB of system RAM. If you’re out of VRAM+shared and it needs to load more assets, the game can do several things like shuffle assets back into the regular non-shared RAM pools or just clear them to load the new assets in. It really depends on the game though and how they code it all.

The big key factor is latency though. Would I be able to run the game at 200fps with ultra textures? Probably not, because the latency of the constant shuffling and loading would be the weakest link. But at 80fps or 12.5ms, it appears to be more than enough time for the shuffling and loading to occur.

Definately try DLSS Quality or even balanced.

I just watched it in 360P because all i need to see is the frametime graph.
Well no surprise there, you got the same big spikes that i get.
It’s especially worse when you leave the city at the end and phase into another zone.

If you are fine with playing like that more power to you, i am not.
With high textures i basically get a flat line now except loading screens and menus ofc.
Even when leaving a major city hub, stays flat after the patch from yesterday.

The game is much more enjoyable that way for me.

I mean, look at this:

https://abload.de/img/d40liqg.png

Your GPU and CPU are severly underutilized and yet you have these huge spikes in frametimes because of the VRAM spilling over into RAM.

Most big devs these days just don’t bother optimising for 8GB GPUs anymore.
They could get it work if they really wanted to, but i guess they are console first devs now :money_mouth_face:

Yes, those would be in the 0.01% lows and that is completely normal… The other 99.99% of the time, it’s locked to 80. You’re splitting hairs man… Also, like I said, I cleared my AMD shader cache before loading the game. Most of those spikes are just shader comp. If I reran the test again, you wouldn’t see them again.

The CPU is always going to be under utilized, it’s a 20 thread CPU and the GPU rarely hits above 80% because I keep it frame locked. If I remove the limiter, it’s running in the 90-150fps range depending on the zone. Those hiccups in that graph you linked are shader comp, which is why the CPU usage is so high(40% usage). Normally, the CPU usage is almost always between 10-20% tops. Also, keep in mind, I’m recording, so there are random hiccups from it saving buffer chunks and whatnot.

Over an hour or more. I’m old, I don’t play half a day at a time. :joy:

I’ll play for two hour session this week and see how that goes. But I’m confident it will do fine.

As for the small issues I do see, they are momentary. My latency for game performance stays below 10ms, usually 9.something.

Sure the longer I play the more likely it may spike and stutter a tad, but it quickly resolves itself.

Vendors are the worst parts of the game. They can bring my FPS down a bit when playing for a while, but again, they smooth out after a few seconds.

I recorded a YouTube of the graph from GPU-Z running with a 0.1 second refresh interval.

The spikes are intervals while at the Blacksmith in Zarbinset.

Depending on how well the game is optimized yeah.

I just installed the new Nvidia driver too, didn’t even know there was a new one since i got no popup msg from Nvidia Experience.

I had some stutters when logging in for a few seconds but then it ran fine with the occasional shader compiling stutter.
No stutters when leaving the major hubs though like in your vid.

I know. D4 is very light on the CPU.
I was talking about the amount of overhead you had, like the GPU only being at 60%+ load.
It should never stutter that way if you capped your FPS that low (compared to what it can run uncapped).

I guess there is no way i can convince you that the game is not optimized well and ultra textures is not meant for 8GB GPUs as of now.

Can we just agree that those “hiccups” are fine for you and not for me? :smiley:

Oh, I’ve tried dlss. Crashes when it’s on.

That’s not a good sign.
How about FSR?

Wasn’t FSR for AMD and DLSS for Nvidia? Or am I missing something?

Don’t have FSR. No amd products. But apparently Nvidia can use it as well?

Ah yeah right, Blizzard disabled FSR for Nvidia users for whatever reason.
In any other game you can choose whichever.

And it’s still filling that VRAM almost instantly once loaded into the game world. Flushing happens more often now but the core VRAM issues remain.

You need to set a custom fan curve so your GPU stays cool. Use MSI Afterburner or Precision X if your GPU is an EVGA card.

Card doesn’t get hot one bit. Stays in between 40-60°C.

Those aren’t stutters, those are very small micro-stutters/frame rate dips and are completely normal. Keep in mind, the graph width is roughly five seconds of time. So even the pic you linked, the width of the three spikes at the start is like 150ms wide.

These little spikes are single frames and usually don’t go beyond 30-40ms for more than a single frame. The types of graphs that places like Digital Foundary use are actually fairly averaged/smoothed, when reviewing games(probably 2-3 frame average). What I’m showing is what a raw framegraph looks like.

Also, if you sum up all of those little spikey moments, you’re looking at seconds per hour, 3600 seconds per hour, and that’s in the <0.02% lows range…

It is working just fine… If you saw how it was before the patch, you’d know that it would lead to whole seconds worth of hard locking and stuttering, every few minutes.

Well you’d never notice 99% them without a frame time graph, but that’s on you. For the rest of people watching this thread, I’m sure what I’ve shown is more than enough for them to give it a try.

Yeah it’s kind of dumb, seeing how FSR is vendor agnostic.

Well, I have officially surpassed that today. Nearly 4 hours this evening.

Not one crash, barely any hiccups, very smooth and playable. Best experience at this resolution and settings since launch. I was impressed overall. Still not impressed though with the beating the game gives out when visiting vendors however, but it doesn’t appear to be stressing my card enough to worry me yet. But I keep my vendor activity to a minimum.

I will be posting a video recording of the last hour and 15ish minutes of play. This will include about an hour of just running around doing quests, then showing the game settings about an hour in, and then spending time teleporting town hub to town hub and visiting vendors.

Let me put it this way. You remember the video I did the other week with the older monitor and high vs ultra then?

This plays nearly the same as it was on High with that older monitor. With it now on Ultra and 1440 instead of 1080, and 100FPS instead of 144FPS.

Its insane how well it plays. And it plays a LOT better than it did pre-patch.

My desktop is still running 535.98. I still have the swap file disabled, with no issues, and run the second monitor while playing, with stuff on that screen too.

And even while recording the last hour of game play, I barely noticed any difference in the game and how it plays.

Will post the video later once its done uploading.

Game on.