Updated feedback, 6 out of 10

Since the last time I gave feedback, I’ve hit 25, finished the closed beta renown tiers, and did more dungeons and the 3 strongholds. I’ve had additional thoughts that I’ve appended to the bottom.

I’ll put the most important part summarized here for the TLDR:
Diablo 4 is going to need to be carried by transformation leagues, by which I mean leagues that offer a experience altering gameplay- like Delve or Heist. It has to provide a different gameplay loop in addition to base every time. Why? Because base isn’t that engaging, and I say that as someone who lucked into a build altering lego that’s actually slightly engaging to use.

Overall impression: 6 out of 10

Enemies and abilities as narrative:
In D1 and D2, there was a slow escalation in enemy types, starting with slow, fearful, small, weak enemies. These enemies sometimes bested you, especially when we were kids, because your characters abilities were very limited and often not dissimilar to your basic attack (smite, bash, kick, magic arrow, etc). There was this sense of pacing where as the enemy types became more threatening, you gained abilities to match the threat.

For example, in D2, when you finally get frozen orb, that’s a big moment. You’ve been shooting mostly single target attacks-ish, maybe you put some points into chain lightning, for a while- but you’ve done it, you’ve reached this point where you can really mow down a horde of demons. This is similar to finding your first 4 link in PoE, it’s like that “oh my god, now this ability is really doing something crazy.” At the same time, that’s about the time when mobs are starting to come at you in high density so it all balances out.

In D4, you get frozen orb in the tutorial. It feels strange to go from wanding wolves and freezing to death to obliterating demons by the pack in just a few minutes of gameplay. What was my character doing 5 minutes ago? Pretending not to be an ultra powerful wizard? All the sense of progression happens in the tutorial and then the rest so far has been fine tuning.

There’s also a problem with enemy pacing. You see all sorts of demons that you would have historically seen in act 3 or 4 in just the first few quests. I think I saw a pit lord while fighting the mother??? Pit lords should be reserved for communicating, “This is now serious.” Not, easy quest mobs. When you got to Hell in Diablo 2, if you didn’t know that fire breath was coming and didn’t have on decent fire resist, there was a good chance the first Pit Lord pack you ran into melted your face. They were there to show you that you were now in the final act of the base game. There’s not much threat escalation in the 20 levels I’ve seen, it’s all been flat. Quilrats and Pit lords are treated with the same level of seriousness.

Tuning
I played the entire time on world 2 and there’s something wrong the AI for a lot of mobs and boss- in that they sometimes just aren’t fighting back very hard, they just kinda die. There’s been one, and only one boss, where I think that there’s something wrong in the other direction, which was a low level werewolf boss in a dungeon that continuously spammed charge attacks faster than roll recharged. It felt like I was fighting Duriel for the first time again. I think the internal cooldown on the charge needs to be fixed, because the other abilities he did didn’t do much of anything. For contrast, there was one level 19 dungeon boss I did that was a giant skeleton mage who died in about 10 seconds. I don’t know what the mechanics were, it didn’t do any. Why is a level 7 boss in the starter zone with 2 mechanics infinitely more difficult than a level 19 boss in a higher level zone?

Tone: Enemies on the minimap
I realize that this is intended to be an MMO quest assist feature… However, this is also supposed to be a diablo game. In Diablo 1, going around a corner blindly could get you blasted by a dozen magic missiles from succubae. If you had a minimap showing you that there was an army around the corner, it wouldn’t have had as much tension. I don’t feel warry, I feel powerful and borderline omnipotent. That’s not what I’m supposed to feel in a diablo game.

Tone: Dialog Delivery (please leave me alone)
Part of Diablo 1 and 2’s appeal is that people in the world are afraid and they hide as best they can from the encroaching darkness. There’s 1 ranger left outside of the camp in Diablo 2, guarding the bridge. The rest have been killed and raised as monsters. Everyone else you meet is barricaded themselves in the camp. Same with act 1 and act 2 and even the angels are mostly taking a defensive position.

It is the end of the world and you are alone because everyone else is dead or hopeless. As a reminder of this fact, you encounter bodies of other people who tried to walk the same path as you constantly.

The people in D4 remind me of Forespoken, but less millennial. I had to just start skipping because every character tried to narrative dump me. To the guy who ended up in pyramidhead armor (Vigo?), I’m sorry that happened to you / I’m happy for you?

I think that less direct dialog and more background dialog, like if you stand near a person you can overhear their conversation with other people, or more environmental story telling like in Diablo 1 and 2 would be better. Like how in act 1 you kill the rogue from diablo 1, in act 2 you kill the wizard from diablo 1, and act 4 you killed the warrior from diablo 1. They don’t tell you it outright, but you can piece together the story between D1 and D2.

Class design: Skill Trees
These are not interesting. You can scroll down to the bottom of the tree and see elemental masteries so you kind of know that you should focus on 1 primary element and then a secondary for getting around immunities/resistances. So you choices get pretty boring. You pick an element and then build around it, modified by your legos.

For legos, I’ve only found 1 lego that’s been interesting. It makes frost shard pierce 5 targets. I respecd frost shard and when the “if barrier, then treat everything as frozen” which makes frost shards fork as well. The interaction should be like pierce + fork in PoE, but something seems a little off. Anyways, I respected “if you use cooldowns, you gain barrier for 5 seconds” and picked up nova, teleport, and frost armor. Cycling between those 3 and the +9% chance to freeze, I could reliably keep forking active.

That’s slightly engaging? Far more so than “if you get hit, you get a bubble” which I got 3 times. It’s moderately build altering and you have to actively engage with it to get it to work well. However, would I want to level a new sorc every 3 to 4 months? No. It’s not like we’re going to get new skill gems every other season to play around with. This is it. That’s awful given that I’m already bored with the skill tree after one play through.

Dungeons
I understand that there’s a lot of dungeons, and I believe there’s a degree of procedural generation or I’m misremembering that? However, the handful I did, I can’t separate out into district experiences other than the final boss. The rest of the dungeon might as well not exist. It was just 1 shottable mobs that stood there and let you mow them down. There were no mechanics, not really minibosses- just elites, and everything was under tuned relative to the bosses. As it stands right now, dungeons would be better if it was just a boss fight as the rest of it is just padding game time with walking. Maybe have dungeons be far smaller with almost very little trash and there be 3 bosses instead of 2 mini bosses and a boss?

Itemization progression
Magic and Rares seem to start out with their maximum number of effects. So you get paragraphs of effects in the tutorial of the game. Magic has an intrinsic (depending on the item) and a single magic effect. Rare has an intrinsic + 3 effects. You could have it so rares get 1 additional effect at 25 and rares start out with 2 effects, go to 3 effect at 25 and to a rare chance of 4 effects at 50. Rares with 4 effects would be more likely to compete with uniques and set pieces, like how influenced items in PoE can result in amazing items, like shaper trapper gloves. Lastly, there’s just too much loot, especially legendaries, dropping. There needs to be more resources and fewer drops to encourage crafting as a solution to progressing specific slots.

Uninteresting Legendaries
Bubble on getting hit is passive. There’s no interaction or player choice or w/e buzzword you want to use. It’s boring and you should just delete most of those. Things like, spell you cast now does X (and X might interact with Y subskill or Z other legendary or W’s set bonus). The legos I’ve found so far have been, with the exception of one or two, not worth having in the game.

Traversal is jarring compared to other solutions
One way doors, switches that open a door on the other side, etc. all accomplish the same thing without needing you to press a key and take you out of the gameplay to watch a climbing animation. In PoE, there’s a jungleish map that has 3 or 4 tombs you enter. They’re all circle shaped with a door to your left that is opened by a switch behind the door. So you go right and kill everything in the doughnut and open the door with the switch and keep moving. It’s simple, smooth, and you never lose control of your character.

Class and ability balance is way off
Chain lightning and Hydra sorcs are playing a different game from the barbarians. There needs to be a pass on not just between classes but within classes as some abilities just don’t seem worth pressing without a lego to make them much stronger. Additionally, only have two choice nodes per ability is underwhelming and expanding that to 3 or 4 might help fix the problem as there’s more opportunities for someone to find a build that works well for a given class.

IT CAN STILL BE GOOD
This doesn’t mean that the game is bad, just that the base game is underwhelming. Luckily, the real game in ARPGS are the seasons. If the seasons are very transformative, meaning that I have new stuff happening in the overworld and dungeons while I’m level or maybe I’m doing something other than overworld and dungeons to level, then that’s great. A good example, in my opinion, is Delve in PoE. So long as you have enough sulfite, you can basically dig your way to end game- if that’s what you want to do it. Otherwise you could do base again. That’s the key distinction, you can do base again (yuck) or the league content (potentially not yuck). Maybe the league content is like a boss rush or tower defense or mythic+ or PvP in the form of a battle royale- it doesn’t matter so long as it’s different enough for base game that it can make leveling a new character not boring.

8 Likes

You take your opionions pretty seriously for playing an act 1 beta.

4 Likes

Hard to judge all of this until we experience the full game.

Classic example being Skill trees - they are broken into three elements and we only have two of them to tinker with. The Paragon skill trees look very substantial and multidimensional. They have done this to make the game new player friendly to start with. Some of those Paragon nodes transform base abilities and are build defining like in POE.

Class balance will be designed around end game not so much an arbitrary level 25 character. Who really knows what balance will look like until we get there…

Items have we seen them all? Not sure we have…I certainly didn’t find any unique items in the Beta.

Dungeons I agree could be improved based on the few we have been given to explore.

1 Like

I’ll never fault well written opinions, even if I disagree with them.

1 Like

We are supposed to provide feedback on beta, correct?

10 years ago, I used to participate in 3-4 closed betas a year and you were expected to file bug reports and feedback.

If you’ve played many games over the years you start to get an appreciation for the systems at play in games. You can see how these systems will scale up and how they work at a fundamental level.

You can very much see what kind of game D4 is going to be at later levels. It’s following all the same rules D3 used for player power.

Not really. Even in going from from level 10 to 25, my Barbarian transformed from feeling like a weakling struggling with everything to a killing machine stomping everything with ease. Based on the OP’s notes on class balance, they clearly didn’t see this and no one can say now how it will further pan out at max level.

This is a beta, not a review copy (this post is labeled as a review). Also, just because it’s beta, that doesn’t mean all feedback is relevant, useful, or valuable.

That’s usually determined by a community team that aggregates feedback and then interpreted by a dev for insights.

You, as a tester, should provide your feedback and then the game team’s process should filter it or summarize it.

The worst part in D4 is dungeon…
pickup key kill xxx mobs to open door… hell no please…
I believe it will have puzzle or IQ game as POE 99%…

What does that change about my comment?

I updated the title to “feedback” for clarity.

The problem is, you can’t really judge things like class balance, skill trees, and legendaries until you have the full game to test. This is what I meant by feedback that isn’t necessarily valuable just because it’s yours to give.

Unless Blizzard has completely lost it and is balancing D4 around the level 25/Act 1 player experience, this take is really irrelevant. Especially since most endgame beta testers say the opposite things about skill trees, paragon level, and classes like Barbarian, etc.

1 Like

That points to a different problem, though.

If something is underpowered at low levels and overpowered at high levels, that means that the base values for abilities at lower levels is too low and probably the modifiers on cooldowns at high levels too high.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean that, though. It means the game is balanced at max level, which is how it should be. There will always be a class that comes out on top, though.

Most of the problems you state with class balance, etc., could be resolved by level 30 for all we know. Being capped at 25 just magnifies an ultimately temporary and probably non-existent issue.

Personally, I think that the power curves should be similar for classes throughout the game, not just at max level. They have the tools to increase the damage of a subset of abilities for a level range, like 1 to 15.

I think the only word that matters here is viable. All 3 classes we played this weekend are viable. Perfect balancing from 1 to 100 is impossible.

Look at D3 ladder. Every season it’s always one class that dominates, but all the others are still able to compete in 90%+ of what the top class does.