Time to be critical of the game for its sake

You’re absolutely right. I had the same issue with WoW. Everything just felt so well thought out and put together with lore tying into lore and stories that were fleshed out and then they just started throwing crap at the wall and taking whatever stuck.

I can’t name an item or location or person in all of Diablo 4 beta and I’ve been on it nonstop for two weekends. It’s all just generic and lame. The story is abysmal. The towns are forgetful hubs you spend 3 seconds in. The characters aren’t interesting at all.

To other points in the comments about it being beta and not fully unlocked or experienced, you’re right and wrong. I have it preordered and will play it but I also feel like I should have some kind of feeling that the game is good in the beta. Not just okay, good.

I’m banking on the fact that Paragon isn’t unlocked, riding isn’t unlocked, and loot rates are higher as well as tuning will come to bring classes more in line (I hope). But there’s just something at the core of the game design that feels so sterile. It’s mechanical. There’ no life.

It’s like a pretty corpse. Sure it looks good but there’s no soul. And the story is dreadful so that doesn’t help. The flashbacks of Lillith in the dungeon chasing the mom were laughably cringe. The cut-scene in the church was cool for the most part but it never explained why a demon god was hanging out in some backwoods church and she was just the generic bad guy trope.

I’m honestly surprised we haven’t fought her yet in the beta and she stuns us, summons adds, says “Peons, take care of this pest” then runs away.

3 Likes

Yeah this needs more cook time, especially the barbarian and druid of which the druid needs to be totally scrapped including the non lore body and rebuilt from the ground up respecting druid lore.

1 Like

I don’t agree. Also its*

As an old school Diablo player, 1, 2 and 3, This game was DEFINITLY made for a seasonal game style of play. (IE: GAME PASSES)
The writing is mediocre at best. I played a Soc to lvl 25 during this beta. I did enjoy my self but I do NOT have a burning desire to play more or AGAIN.
Exploration only re affirms the daily grind seasonal feel the game has. Like quests are fast and easy for repeatability NOT engrossing game play.
There is no sense of discovery, no great feeling to go look for secrets, and I agree that the dungeons having " simple completion requirements " regardless of why you are there is tedious ( built to sell them game passes)
IT NEEDS another stress test BEFORE launch. I am so glad I did NOT pre purchase this game and at this point have no plans to buy it with in the first few weeks. The lag when you are near other people is awful. ( I remember the D3 launch).
I will however check back on it. There is TONS of content and I wouldn’t mind finishing the game but is it worth 70.00$? No I don’t think it is.

3 Likes

As someone who plays POE, and Someone who hates Diablo 2, and thought 3 was ok, but tier sets ruined it. I question some things you are putting out.

Loot means nothing take. Let start with that.

The loot means a ton, it is just hard to read. They stats are put all over the items, and it makes it hard to compare items to each other.

The reason why you don’t feel like it does because you can still clear the content with bad loot.

Loot will matter more at end game.

The shared world, might need tweaking, but you all act like you run into players all the time. I ran into them once in a blue moon, and when I did. I just did not care?

The battle pass I like battle passes, extra rewards for doing the things I would have done anyway.

The game is lacking in what way? The loot? What? The loot is much better than Diablo 3, and in fact I like it better than POE. Because of the stupid slot system, ruins most loot you get in POE.

I mean maybe Diablo 4 is not for you? Not sure on the other points about playing grim dawn and such.

Rubber banding lag and fps issues. Will get fix. Blizzard good about this when it came to d3.

Rest of it is personal taste.

What makes a ARPG good for me is.

Gear
Builds
Seasons changes
Carrots to chase.

We don’t have all the features, and as such it is hard to judge.

Right now gear wise I love the + to skill gear, and around 20ish. I notice the gear increase my clear speed.

I don’t agree with Blizzard take on Barb and how “More legendary slots means it balances out late game.” So you might be feeling burnt out because you playing barb.

2 Likes

Exactly how I feel! Feels like so much rehashed crap, that I’ve just lost interest.

1 Like

Agree with everything you said.

4.5-5/10 from me.

Not worth playing.

Already got my refund this game is a money grab SAD but true it seems the one thing money CANT buy is imagination …

1 Like

I ran 3/4 the dungeons closed beta, they are identical…maybe 5 different variety’s tops to match the environment, it was my first complaint while playing it…so many identical dungeons and cellars I stopped even going into them for fun.

The only thing that made them different and make me go back in was to try sigils

3 Likes

This game is being developed for 2~3 years tops, probably a “buy one get two” deal with the devs from Immortal.

2 Likes

That is the great thing about greed and time youth always thinks it has discovered a NEW way and looking back is a waste of time . I play POE as well and this game is so very different you really cant compare and I HATE POE but i would rather play that than this . You can smell the rush and contempt from the makers just putting out junk and hoping there will be enough fan boys to allow them to get away with it .

2 Likes

Like others mentioned before, there’s no soul or challenge and it all feels dull and repetitive. The IT factor and that rock solid addicting gameplay isn’t there for me like it was in early WoW and every Blizzard game prior to that. Or even in games like Destiny. The only thing I like is the atmosphere and tone, but that is taken away by the lack of challenge. How can a game be so dark and so incredibly easy and simplified?

At this point it’s clear that Blizzard is completely gone and they don’t cater to the core PC crowd at all or have the same gamer first passion. This is totally built for the mobile and console crowd, but even then games like God of War have awesome, unique abilities and cool ideas and were fun to play from start to end. Really enjoyed the story a lot more too.

3 Likes

The sad thing is we’ll have to wait until launch after already buying the game to see how wonky various aspects of the game are.

And after that probably have to wait upwards of half a year to a year plus until the game starts to feel improved depending on how it is.

1 Like

Take off the nostalgia goggles and replay the old games as well. It’s the same problem… Here’s a hard pill to swallow: D3 had a better story and did a better job at telling it than D2… D1 didn’t even have a story really, just a basic shell of one for the sake of having one. DI, I don’t know because I didn’t play it.

It’s 2023, not 2000 when online gaming was mostly reserved for basement dwellers. Trends change, business models change, people change. Today, you’re not going to typically get a AAA online game+AAA art+AAA story+AAA combat+AAA futureproofing+AAA ____, without MTX. You can maybe luck out and pick a couple things it’s good for, but game development is expensive and hella risky. Too risky to chance not returning a profit. All it takes is one flop these days to shut down whole studios.

So MTX is necessary, that or they’ll need to raise the cost of games to 120-150USD. Yall remember getting Chronotrigger back in the day for the SNES? It cost $80USD at the time at Toys R’ Us. Know what that’s worth today adjusted for inflation? ~$160USD. How about 60 in 2000? It’s worth 107 now… Starting to see the point as to why games need battlepasses and MTX? Oh and game dev teams have gotten much larger on average now as well. Let’s also keep in mind that Acti-Blizz, as a whole, has something like 10 to 15k employees…

Damn this is relatable… heard in some youtube video “they have like 150 dungeons” and was like holy-macaroni this is gonna be great… a then this… just procedure-generated random crap and the amount of templates, well, |'mm lvl 22 with like what, 3 hours into the game, and I already recognize patterns in those dungeons? I don’t think I cleared more than 10 dungeons and… that’s just lame

2 Likes

Skill tree is overly big for what feels like relatively small number of choices. Redesign it, its pointlessly big.

Game feels kinda boring already, the dungeon designs are definitely not very varied AT ALL.

Rogue feels like it needs either another button or just make the attack imbue system like the runes from D3. You pretty much are always going to want them active, why make me use a slot to buff myself every other attack?

Sorc and Necro could almost play with less buttons if they had to. The necro’s skills seemed to be more varied than Rogue and Sorc to me.

The rubber-banding and game pauses and then everything takes place in the next 5 seconds got old pretty fast too.

Really need a TON more work. Kinda glad I can’t afford to pre-order.

1 Like

I love the game’s atmosphere, the graphics, the sounds and the music. It’s absolutely topnotch. I have finished the story on each of the 5 characters, but I cannot get myself to level the druid and necromancer to level 25.

There is one reason for this: having to walk everywhere. Walking does not feel like I am playing and not playing feels like a waste of time. During the quests, there are no convenient waypoints to teleport to and you cannot teleport to the beginning of the buildings that are not dungeons.

I don’t care for the MMO aspect and I don’t care for the overworld, once I am done exploring it once. I want to play, not commute. I would like a lot more waypoints in order to bypass walking (or riding the horse for that matter). I want to play, not walk.

2 Likes

SPEAKING OUT OF MY HEART :raised_hands:

2 Likes

The story already feels like a “Rar me super villain me got master plan!” that Blizzard writing is infamously known for these days. And you can be guaranteed a “plot twist” at the end with some cliffhanger that “Oh noes super bad villain wasn’t the worst villain and there are an even worse villain to come!”. For me that is interesting in a good story in games, the way Blizzard writes story now is a major turnoff. Combine that with a stale and boring gameplay, and there is nothing going for the game.

Blizzard writing has become some of the worst, most cliche type of story writing in the industry now.

3 Likes

Legit what the game felt like. Sad.

1 Like