This Game Isn't Ready for Release

During the first two beta weekends, PC performance was a little lacking, to say the least. The first weekend was almost unplayable. Thankfully, for me at least, the second weekend was much better and I was optimistic about the game’s launch. When the server slam was announced I was excited to get back into the game, kill the boss, and get some sweet cosmetics to let all the plebs know I was better than them. (I hate the fact that I have to make this disclaimer nowadays but that was a joke.)

Friday 3 PM EST: I hit the log-in button ready to dominate on my Druid. I get in, there is no queue, and everything is looking good. I play the game for about 5 minutes before the game crashes. I reload the game and get a grey screen that says “Diablo IV Retail is not responding.” That’s weird, I think to myself and try again. Same thing. And again and again. I try uninstalling the game and reinstalling. Same message. I delete my Diablo IV Beta folder and the config folder in my documents. Reinstall and get back into the game until I reach level 16. Then, the game randomly crashes after a dungeon and I’m back to square one.

By this point, it’s 11 PM and I’m getting frustrated with the game. I’ve restarted my computer, reinstalled the game, disabled various overlays, and tried every trick that I found online. I work on the problem for another hour to no avail and decide to go to bed. Having a game that doesn’t launch and is supposed to be released in 3 weeks is a problem. Couple that with the myriad number of bugs in the bug report forum and it’s impossible to come to any conclusion other than ‘this game isn’t ready to be released yet’.

It boggles my mind how the game went from a somewhat playable state to the game literally will not launch. I don’t know how Blizzard managed to make their game worse in 3 weeks but if this is an accurate representation of the game’s state, the game’s release needs to be pushed back. This is not acceptable.

6 Likes

What is happening to you is unfortunate, but most people have no issues at all, so the game is ready to launch…

12 Likes

If you own a PC you should learn how to operate it to a basic level.

Mods should clean threads like these up that provide zero specifics or insight.

3 Likes

What exactly about my post makes you think that I don’t know how to operate a PC?

2 Likes

The PC version is fine, runs smoothly.

2 Likes

If you don’t know what’s going on you should reinstall your OS as Windows update could of made generic drivers (among other things) incompatible with your motherboard and more.

When you reinstall your OS make sure you turn Windows Updates completely off (look at guides online to properly shut that crap down!).
If you’re running Windows 11, that’s your own fault and you should cycle back.

It’s mind boggeling the amount of blizzard defenders, people have issues, my pc keeps crashing also every few minutes in this game, which made me stop trying same as OP. Same feeling, game is so close to launch and I cant even test it due to non stop crashes.

Tried updating drivers etc, nothing works it seems, even everything in low settings.

Because you dont have issues doesnt mean its perfect for all other users. Not every PC is the same hardware configuration. There are some bugs that make it crash it seems. I was hoping they would solve it since last beta. For me personally it is unacceptable so many crashes for a game that will launch in a few weeks.

anyway have fun with D4

2 Likes

Read my post, it will help you in the long run.

Also go to your motherboard manufacturer and try and only use the drivers they recommend, you are free to update your GPU however much you like (BUT always use Nvidia DDU unistaller from Guru3D website and I would suggest doing this process right now if you’ve never used it).

Welshsteel, my MB drivers are of the manufacturer, GPU driver is of Nvidia themselves. DX12 etc. there is nothing more I can change, and to be honest i already wasted to much time on this, instead of playing and testing a game I would maybe buy.

The biggest issue is that any game i play works without crashing etc, but D4 is crash fest.

This is not a widespread problem, it’s something on your end.

1 Like

Server slam. You were told to expect issues.

I have never bumped into a game in my life that I could not run from when I first started with online games back when I was 16 (now 21 years later…).
Something isn’t set up right your end, it’s not the games fault and it would be way more of a common problem as most PC owners are super casuals.

You can keep blaming the “big bad company” all you want. Also stating what DX version you’ve installed/running/what your GPU is capable of means nothing vs nearly all of the GPU’s on the market (IN THE LAST DECADE!), all which are capable of running practically anything.

If you have no time to follow advice, you shouldn’t be a PC owner and I highly recommend console.

1 Like

I’m certainly not going to reinstall my OS to get one game to run. I don’t believe this is an issue with my PC. If it were I’d be able to reproduce the issue on other games. Which I cannot. I shouldn’t have to run through step after troubleshooting step to get D4 to run. Especially since it ran just fine during the other two betas. This is a problem with the game and I’m absolutely not going to reinstall windows to make one game work. Nor should I have to it.

6 Likes

IM ON A LAPTOP where is the guy who ‘hahah-ed’ lul u play on gamer laptop is there such thign PC ftw lulz…

So the game crashes for you = not ready for release?

Almost no one else has crashes or the like, so it’s just you.

It’s impossible to optimize for every single PC hardware configuration. With console it’s just one. It seems like the majority of folks on PC are able to run it just fine or else we’d be hearing about it I imagine.

Hopefully things get optimized for your rig or you are able to figure what’s missing. It could be something on your end. No fun for things to not work as they should.

my screen keeps tearing because my system hates this forced windowed mode in direct12 games and it will turn black and even green and I can barely run 10sec until I need to turn my monitor on and off to just run another 10sec again and the cycle repeats. All this because they removed fullscreen for zero reasons! Thanks blizzard now I need to refund the game and you destroyed all the hype I had for this game

Issue with your computer, have never had a single crash or as much as a stutter, server slam is performing 10 times better than the previous betas.

1 Like

good for you. What am I supposed to do now? It worked better last beta with the option to choose fullscreen, now its worse so what improvment are you talking about?

Lol at this dude talking about changing your entire OS to get a game to run.