So I played the beta with a sorceress, and the game was more than disappointing that I don’t even know where to start. I started with a 40 - 60 minute que time, and after I was in I was greeted with a UI that is similar to Diablo immortal. Then, the game just made me run around vast amounts of empty lands without much being there in the game to this random village that was worshipping Lilith, made me go to this dungeon but the townsfolk wanted to kill me for some reason and the story is just extremely unclear and doesn’t even connect to Diablo 3 where it left off in any way. Like where is Tyrael? Didn’t he reform the Horadrim to improve it? Why is he nowhere to be seen? Also why is Inarius in Sanctuary? Didn’t he go missing from D3 lore?
I’ll try my best to list all of the issues I have for the game in different categories, I am someone who have been with the Franchise for more than 20 years starting with Diablo 2, I also am a seasonal player for Diablo 3 and even tried Diablo Immortal before quitting after 2 weeks. I’ll list all of the problems with Diablo 4 which I have encountered so far. I got to level 25 in the Beta and completed Act 1.
- none of the plot connects to Diablo 3
- barely anything is explained from where Diablo 2 left off
- even Diablo Immortal’s story was much more clear cut than this one
- why is the Horadrim a barely functional organization after Tyrael revived it in D3?
- how and why is there a sudden religious sect worshipping Inarius?
- I don’t see the appeal of this girl who’s mother started worshipping Lilith
- why is Lilith appearing in a random church in a village of like 10 people? makes no sense
- lack of notable characters of familiarity, I only recognized Lorath from D3 Reaper of Souls
- What happened to the Nephalem in D3?
- What happened to Tyrael? He was back in Sanctuary post ROS as a mortal
- What happened to the Black Soulstone from D3?
- Inarius Cult appears out of nowhere
- So according to D4 lore, D3 lore and ROS never happened?
- End of D3 ROS doesn’t connect to D4 Act 1 at all
- you can’t use the teleport skill in town for sorceress, why???
- teleport skill has a massive cooldown, just like diablo 3
- they took the worst part of teleport from Diablo 2 and 3 and combine that for Diablo 4
- extract legendary power is overpriced
- there are some yellow items that you can’t salvage, and can only sell for 1 gold, why???
- repetitive dungeons, “open 3 keys, kill all enemies, kill same bosses”
- dungeons are a much more tedious and boring version of Diablo 3 rifts
- world bosses, I don’t want to set a timer to do these, should be doable whenever
- massive server lags
- i get “pushed out” of a zone when I walk there since interface is loading
- 30 plus minutes of que time
- i get booted from the game time to time and gets put at the end of the que again
- you have to talk to the same character 2-3 times (click) to actually start talking
Overall I feel that this game is terrible, Blizzard really combined the worst parts of Diablo 2, Diablo 3 and Diablo Immortal and created Diablo 4. I even feel that Diablo Immortal was a much more enjoyable game as an F2P player than whatever this steaming pile of doggy doo doo they call “Diablo 4”, it is very disappointing, and the Beta seriously discouraged me from paying even 1 cent for this game when I was even considering purchasing the deluxe edition before I tried the beta. At least for Diablo Immortal I managed to play the game for 2 weeks, this Diablo 4 I can’t even last more than 6 hours, the game is simply terrible, the story is boring and unengaging with barely any connections to the rest of the Diablo series, and I have been much more disappointed in the series and in Blizzard even moreso than Diablo 3 and Diablo immortal combined, which if a very high bar of disappointment for me, but Blizzard managed to disappoint me to this degree anyways because truly Blizzard has proven itself to be a master of Overpromising and Underdelivering.
First of all, to those who complain that “ohhh but this is just the beta! You aren’t getting the ENTIRE story!!” I will remind everyone that we get to play ALL of Diablo 4 Act 1, we even get to COMPLETE this entire Act 1, so let’s compare how Act 1 in previous Diablo games, Diablo 2 and 3 connected to the previous games in their respective Act 1…
By the end of Diablo 2 Act 1, we got…
- Deckard Cain is saved!
- We see what happened to Tristram
- We know that Aiden became the Dark Wanderer after Aidan shoved the stone in his head
- We see what happened to the Rogue from Diablo 1
- We start in the Rogue encampment, where the Rogue in Diablo 1 came from
- We end Act 1 by following the path of Aidan from Diablo 1
Looks like a very clear connection to the previous game from Act 1 of the new game!
Now let’s look at how Diablo 3 Act 1 connects to the end of Diablo 2…
- We find out that Tyrael became a mortal
- We see how butterfly clown kills Cain (I hate the plot but hey still connects)
- We learned that Nephalems are returning due to destruction of Worldstone
- We get to continue the journey with Tyrael, who is now a mortal to guide us
- We get to reforge Tyrael’s sword to restore his memory
- We proceed into Act 2 under the guidance of the flagship character Tyrael
Looks like the plot (although I dislike many parts of it) still connects to the end of Diablo 2!
Now, let’s look at if Diablo 4 Act 1 (beta contains ALL of Act 1 as Blizzard claims) connects to Diablo 3…
- Random Inarius cult
- No reference to any Nephalems, even though it’s been longer since Worldstone destruction
- Plot holes with Inarius retaining his wings and angel form
But I do know that after Inarius was defeated in the sin war by Uldyssian he taken into Mephisto custody and probably tortured for all eternity
Mephisto took Inarius to the Burning Hells. He bound Inarius with tremendous chains and slowly tore the wings from the back of the angel. Great barbed hooks were then used to stretch out his once glowing skin and his features were distorted by vile powers. Now, Inarius is said to be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form for all eternity
This remains true to this day,
and Inarius has been denied even the freedom of death
So would like to know how he had wings and looked normal
- No explanation of what happened to Tyrael and his efforts to actively reform Horadrim
- Lack of familiar characters aside from Lorath, who doesn’t even talk about previous lore
- “yeah just follow Lilith and go stop her, heh” … ok?
- Any reference to Malthael’s huge Reaper army invading sanctuary? No? LOL
- Inrarius wants to return to heaven? Last time I’ve been there in Diablo 3 I was told he is missing, not exiled…
Looks like the end of Diablo 3 is mostly ignored without there even being any connection!
Ok so this is a beta, you can use the “beta” excuse for server issues and possibly even gameplay issues, but remember that this beta gives us the ENTIRETY of Act 1 of Diablo 4, so no, “but but but this is BETA!!” is NOT an excuse for the poor narrative features and bad writing where reference to how things carried on from Diablo is almost completely ignored and simply missing. This is just terrible, terrible writing, and the poor narrative and storytelling in Diablo 4 Act 1 and it not connecting to the end of Diablo 3 has NOTHING to do with the beta.
We had something called a connection to where things left off BOTH in Diablo 2 and Diablo 3, and by the time we were done with Act 1 with those previous titles, we got a good glimpse of how things turned out from there until the start of the current game, and yes of course I don’t expect ALL of the answers to the plot by the end of Act one, there was a very clear connection to where things left off from the previous game, which is entirely missing by the end of Diablo 4’s Act 1. This is not an argument of whether if I “like” or “dislike” the not almost entirely separate plot or not, this is a simple statement which comes BEFORE liking or disliking the plot, a statement that the ENTIRETLY of Diablo 4 Act 1 doesn’t even connect back to the end of Diablo 3 at all…