The stash programming is a nightmare

There had to be a better way…

When I feel stupid coding at work, I will remember there is an entire team from a giant gaming industry that sells A+++ games that do this kind of things and feel better…

How exactly can you code it like this…

I imagine that in their meetings someone raised this issue and everyone was like “really, is it like this ? no worries release it like this we cannot go back now” :)))))))))))))))))). and then this clown was sent to explain how it is, and he couldn’t even make a statement to cover their a@@ :)))

Probably this is why the memory spikes from 8 gb to 16 , fenris errors and so much rubber banding.

Just one more sad addition to the Blizzard failure list…

It takes a different kind of incapable to take a jewel and make it worse like it happened with w3 reforged, and now we can all see that it can be worse…

as a developer myself I find it mind boggling that they load everyones stash together when the odds of you interacting with everyone in that instance is practically zero since there is basically zero social interaction - Does this mean then that each item you pickup in the game instance is also being managed by each connected client? This is ridiculous programing logic.

1 Like

Thats exactly what that means. Everyone is practically playing 16 instances of D4 at the same time.

There is a free games arpg on Steam, and they have stash space, and even a character has like massive bag space for free, all is free, and all is bigger thenD4 for free, other games have free stashes that are bigger then this, on steam, but this game can not make a stash tab, people need to go out of their bubble and stop believing this, (we cant make stash tabs because is to complicated). But then you will see stash in shop.

1 Like

By far. Imagine if someone ever made an actual sequel to Diablo 2.

2 Likes

This made me laugh more than it should…now it’s just sad…

1 Like

They need to cut the game down to 2-3 seasons a year and use those resources to fix the game. It needed another year in the oven.

The D4 developer’s response isn’t proof of anything. He is likely lying just to further handicap the player base. If they added 1, they can easily add 4-5. It has nothing to do with performance.

That explain a lot about why this game is so bad. It seems like they took everything bad decision they made in D3 and decided they needed to 1 up it and made D4.

There are plenty of ways to paginate or manage scalable stash if you didn’t have the all loads issue the devs shared.
A big reason this could be part of player load, is transmogs. This way the shiny gear can easily appear when another player dons it at their stash. Maybe it caused a crash unless this was the way.
At the end of the day, it is what it is, and it is there for now. If they had some sort of low level of detail asset streaming that could load a basic, super low poly and level of detail object, and increase its complexity and detail the longer it is within a certain range of the player, then they could probably get away with more tabs and not need to worry about loading it all. because in other players stash could be considered far enough away to be a 2d sprite tier of detail.

I don’t think Stash Tabs of other players are the reason the networking lag makes the game nearly unplayable, especially when I’m out in the world not seeing any other players.

This is a limitation of D3.

Since Diablo 4 is the Diablo 3 engine with a few lines of codes added for updated lighting, it only makes sense they have the same limitations due to incompetence.

Diablo 4 is Diablo 3.2

I love open world games with other players. I am not of the mind that limiting the ability to see other players is a good idea. Quite the opposite.

I now realize that the reason they limited the number of players you see in the open world is likely due to memory management concerns.

It’s literally just editing one parameter for the database request. I am speechless.

1 Like

This whole game is built on a foundation of cards. Its fragile, weak, and affects the entire experience directly or indirectly.

Thats why the devs cant make the game the way wed all imagine it could be.

This game should have been delayed in early stages of production. This is gonna take longer than a season or 2 to sort out with players actively playing.

I give it a few months before an expose comes out saying that workers brought these concerns up to leadership and were ignored, a la Cyberpunk

Executives are often among the biggest shareholders, they are paid in stock options.

Bobby has ~4M shares of ATVI worth ~$90/share, so his stake is almost $400M

Certainly true.

“Ship it or never work in this industry again and take your butt to McDonalds”

-Kotick to Rod Furgeson