The rogue is too damned squishy

thanks for trolling, it is keeping the thread in the algorithm and making it more likely that blizzard will think my opinion is popular. im not suggesting the character is unplayable, im suggesting that it needs a small buff to armor and life.

Is anyone really trolling other than you? There is nothing wrong with your opinion and others might necessarily feel the same way as you, so this thread ultimately valuable because it contains advice from other players on how to solve the issue if you’re feeling particularly squishy.

Instead of following it or explaining in detail exactly what you’ve tried, all you’ve done is cry about how you’ve spent all your money respecing (into what exactly?) and you’ve maxed “all the defensive options” (which were?) before topping the cake with “I’ve been playing Diablo since 97” Bro this is a different game, how are you gonna expect that to help you here?

It might be fair to say that over all Rogue is squishier than the other classes but it’s not an unsurmountable issue. Other players have made it past where you are so learn from them. Otherwise drop your world difficulty to 1 or switch to a different class.

Sincerely, a fellow rogue, level 80 doing tier 37 nightmare dungeons, and not getting “overpowered by literally any mob”.

That seems to be what the Agility passive is for (use a cooldown to engage and buff your dodge chance, kill mobs, then disengage). However, the duration is pretty short. I’m also unsure if there are enough sources of +Dodge chance for the stat to become a reliable defensive layer at endgame.

How is dodge calculated in this game, anyway? Do consecutive dodges have diminishing dodge chance ala Path of Exile?

1 Like

In the “early endgame”, rogue really does feel squishy. But that changes later on. Once you stacked up some survivability and crowd control uniques, you can facetank most situations on tier 4.

1 Like

My understanding is that they are multiplicative so you can never hit 100% dodge (without the lego board power related to Inner Sight which only lasts 1.5 seconds). Here’s the possible sources and max values of dodge you can get:

• 1 Dex = .01% dodge for all classes
  • 5.8% Dodge Chance x2 (pants, boots)
  • 8.6% Dodge vs Close (pants)
  • 10.5% Dodge vs Distant (boots)
  • 12% dodge for 3 seconds after cooldown (Agile passive 3/3)
  • 8% dodge vs enemies with active dots (Assimilation aspect)

Even if dodge was additive, the max you can reach through gear, talents, and passives is:

• 23.6 + dex vs All
  • 32.2 + dex vs Close
  • 34.1 + dex vs Distant
  • 40.2 + dex vs Close and DoT
  • 42.1 + dex vs Distant and DoT

Event at 500 dex, you’re looking at only and additional 5% dodge chance. This is pretty high but Agile won’t be up full time and you’ve burned 4 total affixes on pants and boots, an aspect, and 3 talent points. There is a feedback loop with Dark Shroud to consider. If you are avoiding hits, your orbs will remain longer and the Umbrous aspect has a better chance of keeping you topped off. I still think you’re better off using DR over an all-or-nothing roll.

3 Likes

still keeping the thread alive i see. there are a bunch of good ideas in here now, and i definitely have you to thank for that. i havent given up on the rogue yet.

My rogue is very tanky.

Make sure your helm chest and legs you’re favoring total armor and max life.

Make sure you’re using a poison ability with debilitating toxins (15%) less damage from poisoned enemies.

Make sure you have siphoning strikes if you have Twisted Blades.

Run Dark Shroud if you need it but personally I’ve dropped it on my Death Trap build. I run Puncture, Twisting Blades, Dash, Shadow Step, Poison Trap and Death Trap. I’m tanky, I can aoe down large packs, and I melt bosses in single target.

Aspect wise Protector grants a barrier when you do damage to elites. Might provides 20% damage reduction when you use a basic skill and Disobedience boosts your armor when you do damage.

I have a rogue spread sheet I can share if you’d like.

Hey, I know being chronically online diminishes brain cells, but if you read to what he was replying, you’d know that - yes - he was trolling. Saying, “You’re right, rogue sucks, everyone here is wrong, Blizzard should give us all refunds,” etc. is unassailably trolling.

But you tell him he’s trolling? Lmao.

Sounds like the only person here who can’t handle disagreement is you. Someone says something you disagree with, so you call them a troll?

I encourage you to employ what remains of your brain and think about things before you talk.

I’m having issues myself. :slight_smile: you’re correct, I think. Notice the ppl “giving advice” are just telling you to get the defensive passives. As if that hasn’t occurred to you.
And notice other people giving their skill loadouts are using 2, 3 defensives. Lol.
If you have to use multiple defensives, you haven’t solved the problem. And it doesn’t mean the class isn’t squishy. I want to use imbuements and traps etc. I don’t want to take up two slots with defensives.

Rogue needs some fortify or barrier of some kind.

But till then, I’ve found something that (reasonably) works: stun grenade, frost imbuement, and flurry. Bc flurry heals when you damage someone who is CCed or vulnerable, and you can juggle back and forth between frost imbuement and stun grenade to ensure the mob group is always cced, it’s a regular source of burst healing. (Though I admit I have a legendary gear that makes flurry an aoe around you, but I don’t think that should impact things too much since flurry’s heal already has a cap anyways)

Now if you’re a bow rogue, as I was, I have nothing for you lmao. Frost caltrops, frost imbuement, poison traps etc are pretty good at keeping them locked down. But you’re way too easily overwhelmed, esp in groups with 3+ mobs with “increased health” (eg invincible) and/or elites.
Which is why I changed to this flurry build.

I hope you can find this helpful :slight_smile: I want to like rogue a lot but it is diminishing my experience that I feel so damn squishy

Required to take heal Flurry if meleeing unfortunately

At lvl 44 World lvl 2 currently taking:
healing Concealment / Cold imbue / Poison trap knockdown / heal Flurry / Rapid Fire / Blade Shift

At higher levels with higher talents Energy regen is less of a problem;

Blade Shift

saves your butt with its elemental resist, free move, move speed, and cc reduction

Rapid Fire has unlimited energy

when enemy is Vulnerable; you apply Vulnerable with this build through Cold talents, stealth talents, and Flurry spreading talents

Don’t have to wait until lvl 44 to be good,

lvl 25+ Rogue was finally fun and I decided I liked this game

you’d know that - yes - he was trolling
But you tell him he’s trolling? Lmao.

… what? You confirm he’s trolling and you have a problem with me calling him out on it? If you look at all my replies prior to that one, I was being helpful as are most people on this thread.

How am I being the defensive one other than calling you guys out being babies? “I’ve been playing since 97, this shouldn’t be happening to me” is cringe on all levels first off, and not being open to the advice of the players that know how to make the class work is pretty much just you looking for an echo chamber to confirm what you’ve already decided in your mind, not confirming any reality in the world. The class is squishy, no one denies it but it’s part of the gameplay style and class identity. If you have a problem with that, play on a lower difficulty or change classes to something you’d enjoy more.

I’m having issues myself. :slight_smile: you’re correct, I think. Notice the ppl “giving advice” are just telling you to get the defensive passives. As if that hasn’t occurred to you.

Ah so you’re white knighting for him because you are in the same boat, just circle jerking each other because you can’t figure it out.

And notice other people giving their skill loadouts are using 2, 3 defensives. Lol.
I don’t want to take up two slots with defensives.

Defensive options are in the game to prevent you from getting one shot, and is a mechanic in Diablo 4. All classes eventually need defensive stats from one source or another if you’re entering and pushing end game content, and that’s literally what all the people giving advice is telling you. Maybe you’re not far enough into the game to understand that, or perhaps you’re right and being “chronically online diminishes brain cells” and all of this alludes you.

Rogue needs some fortify or barrier of some kind.

Temerity: it synergizes well with Siphoning Strikes if you’re playing melee Rogue. And before you start crying about how you don’t want to be forced to take a specific item, it’s an option - take it or leave it.

Rogue’s tankiness is fine UNTIL around NM tier 80 ish, i went in couple 90s, the projectiles from range mobs just straight up one shot me, there was nothing I could have done to prevent that. I really don’t think we are meant to clear those as melee. If you are a pen shot rogue, there might still a chance for you to clear 100, you just have to be EXTREMELY cautious and snipe them from a mile away and most importantly pray to RNG god you don’t have some nasty elites

1 Like

sounds like a skill issue, respectfully. rogue was meant to be a squishy, high skill cap char that can do huge dmg. have you considered trying a tankier class like a bear druid, barb, or necromancer?

@ [PrjctSphynx] maybe blizzard messed up this class. Shame it is my fav class. Archetypically, rogues are not warriors, they can’t take much damage, but rogues types in theory are supposed to have superb defense in the sense that, use subterfuge (smoke, stealth, decoys, shadow powers) speed and agility, parries, traps, combat maneuvers etc. you get the point.
Is not whether they can take hits, is whether they get hit in the first place, or are even detected. Rogues live for that critical damage, bypassing armor and crippling enemies.
I wonder if blizzard forgot about what a rogue really is about?

It’s hilarious seeing people complain about rogue squishiness when they don’t realize the solution to all there problems is literally at their fingertips.

I am telling you, the aspect of uncanny treachery is BROKEN OVERPOWERED. You can be invisible FOREVER.

I am level 60 and I can run level 25-30 nightmare sigils with ease. No deaths, barely a scratch.

What’s more broken than infinite stealth? Nothing.

I’d agree, except the damage isn’t higher than the other classes to justify that. The high ceiling justifies the squishiness. Without that ceiling, you just have a mid class that can’t melee and doesn’t reward you for it.

Rogue is a monster of defence if you build for it. People tend to build purely damage in all gear pieces and suddenly they push higher and guess what? They get one shotted. Dear fellas , build up your defences. Take armor/life , get defensive aspects, spec into DRs .

Im playing a flurry/imbuements build( cold/shadow) with temerity and defensive aspects and im practically immortal. Doing 55lvl sigils on lvl 77

I had the same problem almost.
Made a rogue, skipped campaign and went to a zone with lvl 35+ mobs… i got 2shot by most mobs

the only way to feel tanky as a rogue is to use momentum passive with twisting blades to proc it regularly and have the legendary passive that heals you for like 100 every second while its active, the only other way to not die is play ranged rogue, they need to give melee specs 15% free DR like they did in D3

2 Likes

I built my flurry rogue very tanky, at level 74 I can do Nightmare dungeons with 90+ level mobs. Made a video about it, check it out: Diablo 4 flurry rogue in high tier nightmare dungeons. - YouTube

Sure, I am sure some other classes or builts can do better, but the build is far from optimized.

at lvl 100 and trying to do 80+ dungeons you will realize Temerity is worse than wearing a good rolled yellow pair of pants with def stats on it.

Its a very solid item for low level, but it doesnt scale with you. Once Mobs do actually real damage that exceeds your “baseline” Lifepool you will realize. Temerity only makes you immortal on low end content and isnt viable beyond that.

2 Likes