[Suggestion] Delay the HC race until season 1

Oh well, it’s Blizzard’s fault they screwed up doing this in Season 0. No way around it now.

This wouldn’t be anymore fair because alters of Lilith collected in the eternal realm would carry over to season 1. So players that had more free time to complete that would benefit at the start of the season 1 race. Now, instead of rewarding players that support the game more, you are rewarding people with more free time. Competitions aren’t fair. Nothing needs to change before launch. Currently everyone has access to Ultimate Edition. I appreciate feedback that is actually suggesting improvements instead of trolling, but everybody currently “has a shot at this event.”

1 Like

Not to mention network issues, game breaking bugs, etc

1 Like

they wont delay it, need to sell more early access version for fomo kids which doesnt have a chance anyway…all marketing

first its preseason, you have lost nothing. Second you can still get early access if you want in on the race. Third lets be honest many people who are complaining dont even play hardcore let alone know what it takes to play in a scaling world where one death means starting over.

I would humbly disagree.

I understand argument that ppl who got to test D4 for last days have advantage, but huge disadvantage of moving HC race to season 1 will be that everyone will be 100% prepared, pure technical, practice and 0 emotions. This wont be a race this will be speedrun.
I mean that fact is 99.99% of players did not test the game (I do not mean betas). Their emotions in participation in event when not knowing the game will be absolutely different and that will be lost if event is moved.

I would rather see true race instead of speedrun even if I knew that first places were rigged. I would just watch other not prepared players compete.
If it was my decision - I would not include ppl who could test the game in that race. They could participate for fun, not for reward.

That would be for the best that means everyone is on even ground when it comes to mechanics.

Ugh I feel you are right and this is just an attempt to make more money on the extra $20 disgusting practice.

It’s not season 0 its the real perm world the only place that matters

There is no such thing as an even playing field when we can’t all play for the same stretches of time each day.

Futility.

2 Likes

That is actually a good point. US starting nicely at 16-19.00 and EU brings the pain with night cycle : )

Yeah. As much as I’ve tried to defend Blizzard on this issue, this is the correct take.

Launch will also probably have bugs and exploits, so for any competitive event, launch really isn’t a good environment. This was the entire logic behind delaying seasons for several weeks – it allowed time to fix the launch issues.

This is true.
If the race to 100 should be gated behind anything it should be: Season 1.
That’s fair to everyone who opts in.
Allows all to have equal preparation time.

Any Race requires a level playing field.
Will some be better, faster, stronger? Of course.

I think people are missing some numbers too.
We don’t know how many CC’s(Content Creators) got early access.
We DO know that it’s highly unlikely they’ll be doing this SOLO.
We DO know that the “Best & most Efficient Way” to play Diablo is IN A PARTY.
It’s always been this way regardless of what Devs have ever stated to the contrary.

• CC’s and numbers - 1000 Players First HC 100 limit
    Assume 50 got the 10 days access: That’s a potential 200 players with a “knowledgeable guide”.
    Assume 100 got the 10 days early access: That’s a potential 400 players with a “knowledgeable guide”.

Knowing “Fans and Followers” -

1. Item feeding
  2. Party Size will never diminish. If one of 4 falls - another will be ready to take their place.
  3. Know the Terrain: self explanatory. The F&F’s don’t need to know anything. Just follow the Leader.
  4. Knowing ideal Team/Party composition vs what lies ahead: F&F’s will gladly play these “roles”.
  5. Body Shields: “Taking the hit” - Yes, there’s those who will jump in front of the proverbial bullet for their favorite talking head.

In the :point_up: - I’m NOT saying that having Friends and Followers is an “unfair advantage” - That will always be the case and it’s not a bad thing in any way. We could all make a Clan etc.
I AM saying that a significant number of players out of 1000 potentials will have a “Guide with direct LIVE Game Build experience leading the way.” That’s a major difference and cuts down the …available slots to those coming in fresh and blind.

I know I have no stake in this. Just pointing out the obvious which I haven’t read in the threads here.
I’m not raging or even upset. This is just a PR blunder.
Disappointed that something is tarnishing or putting a bad taste in player’s minds before the game even goes Live.
It’s just disappointing to see a “Race” where all are not on equal ground.
Takes the…Thrill out of it.

2 Likes

More than just giving the competition a more even footing, this would show a commitment toward future competitive events.

I think aRPG’s are great places to have races and even the perception of an uneven field is detrimental to those events.

If they are serious about supporting this game long term then they should at the very least directly address this criticism.
Even if for legal reasons they can not change the competition now, they should commit in the future to not doing it again.

There’s nothing competitive about it, and it’s always an uneven field.

If you want to do it, do it. If you don’t, don’t. Your complaints are invalid.

It’s literally by definition a competition and thus ipso facto competitive.

I think you maybe do not quite understand how validity works. I would recommend you look up the definition and reassess the statements. It’s objectively valid, again by definition.

“It’s a competition because they call it a competition.”

That’s stupid and far from objective. That’s not validity, that’s gullibility. If I call an apple an orange, that doesn’t make it an orange.

Despite my opinion in the other thread that this is not true p2w, I do think this is unfair. Blizzard should start this when season 1 begins. I think any serious player would have purchased deluxe+ addition anyways, but it still is unfair to have an official race when there is an early access advantage.

noun: competition

1. the activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.

It’s not a competition because they called it a competition, it’s a competition because it meets the threshold for the definition of competition.

The players will engage an an activity (leveling in harcore Diablo 4), and strive to win something (battletag on a statue) by defeating others (doing it within the first 1000 players to reach the goal)

Just because its a low stakes competition does not mean it fails to meet the threshold for the definition.

2 Likes

And just make it seasonal (non-permanent), with a fresh 1000 each season.

1 Like