Suggestion: Controller and KBM balancing

So i first experienced general frustration when i learned how to enable target locking on controller. It would constantly switch off the selected target, and lock to the nearest enemy which did not make any sense to me. i thought target locking was suppose to emulate casting a spell on a specific enemy.

This is a control scheme decision by the dev team that i did not understand until i thought that maybe it was for balancing the difference between controller and kbm.

Which i guess kind of makes sense? However, with the movements required and the accuracy and precision for kbm to emulate the controller’s target lock stutter step, it is next to impossible to do. it gives controllers an unfair advantage without any of the effort. So why not just give kbm the same functionality of target locking as controllers, and give them the ability stutter step just as easy as controllers can? Ya know, save a few people their wrists?

Well that goes into the other side of the scale, see controllers only have a maximum range for ground targeted skills.

This is an older forum post from march that i found particularly helpful in illustrating what it looks like with the teleport skill: Teleport Skill on Controller is extremely inferior compared to Keyboard and Mouse
they also neatly provide a solution to this problem as well, in order to re-balance the scales and bring the games experience between inputs that much closer together. I should note that i did test this, and it is still relatively the same today.

To highlight on the importance that these two inputs should behave similarly in the game, i should mention that this game is wonderful.

It would be a shame to see something so well put together but so easily torn apart from the smallest thing that the diablo 4 community will no doubt take issue with in the long run. i hate to bring up other games when providing feedback, but ill mention that this predisposition in control scheme design is not unique nor enjoyed by other communities, and that this is a game that simply cant get away with “well we cant design it any other way!”

Since this is a forum and not a direct feedback submission…
Has anyone else come across these issues or imbalances in their play through?
Maybe in other games that have either cross play or both kbm/controller support?
Issues like this personally drive me up the wall because it seems so cut and dry.

tl;dr
kbm needs target lock, controller needs better ground targeting control, target lock needs “sticky targeting” (i think? probably wrong, see first sentences)

1 Like

Wow. Interesting, because a lot of people say that controller trumps KB+M in D4. I haven’t even tried controller. I’m a KB+M or die kinda guy.

1 Like

If you try wasd control from diablo immortal once you know it damn amazing and feel really good to play get benefit of controller precise movement but with pin point aiming mouse ( it very good on sorc and rogue skill ) and best inventory management / menu navigation and hey you can type with keyboard…

So i have no idea why they don’t include it for diablo 4

1 Like

Oh i completely understand that ive played a bit on KBM and neither are really bad, but controller is basically cruise control.

1 Like

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting that you actually have found some advantages to KB+M over controller. And I don’t mean the bland statement “it’s better”. Like you found some actual examples. Good feedback.

1 Like

I wish i had played immortal to know exactly what you mean but id imagine they were probably different teams and for whatever reason it just didnt fit together with diablo 4.
ill take your word for it though that its a solid setup