Suddenly FPS DROPS even with Stable FPS - PC

I’m getting random stuttering and massive FPS Drops during some battles, I’m using an optimize setting to avoid FPS Spikes and I’m getting solid stable fps, but sometimes and randomly I’m getting a massive FPS DROP during some battle (and killing me) even with low mobs in the area.

RTX2080TI/i7/32GB (updated driver) WIN10 Latest Build.

1 Like

I too get slapped with completely random insane frame drops, I have an RTX 3080, 32GB of CL32 DDR 6400mhz ram, game is installed on an PCIe gen 4 NVME drive, my CPU is an
AMD 9750X3D. I run all settings maxed except for shadow quality which is taken down one step and I get pretty much 150-165 (max monitor refresh rate) until I get a frame drop where the game will drop down to between 7 and 22 frames for absolutely no reason, and it stays there even if exiting out to main menu and is only solved through a complete game shutdown and restart. All drivers are fresh and up to date, so is BIOS and my rig handles all games I play extremely well.

I’d love to see Blizzard fix this…

1 Like

There’s another thread that I found where many people were having similar issues, I myself being one. - [Main Thread] Frame Rate Hitching / Stuttering on PC 4090

I’m using a 3070ti and every now and then my frames would drop from 144fps to 4fps.

It turns out it has something to do with the game “polling audio devices”. It appears that some network situation causes the game to continuously perform this action causing massive stutters.

The fix for me was setting my network on my pc to public and stopping the “SSDP Discovery” service in task manager. Since then it’s been running smooth without a single drop for a solid hour or two.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

having the same or similar issue on a 3090.

I also am having random instances of lower fps, and massive stuttering even when it says I am 150+ fps. For me it is not only when in battles but even when just traversing the world with no mobs around. Happens every couple hours or so and have to restart my game

1 Like

Uninstall hirez texture pack from the game (40GB).

Update, I think full screen would solve my issue (instead of borderless windowed). I run a software called wallpaper engine and while all my other games can run fine without performance drop if it’s also active simultaneously Diablo 4 just can’t ever run stable once it’s active. Setting up a pause rule when D4 exe is running solved my performance issues (outside of FPS drop in conjunction with rubberbanding in safe areas). I think that giving us the option to run full screen as an application would solve this. Check to see if you also have something else rendering simultaneously.

2 Likes

I have the exact same problem described by others in this thread. I’m playing with everything ultra maxed out and after 20min-30min of gameplay the game constantly stutters every other 5s-10s. I almost bet that this is a game bug streaming ultra textures to memory in the background. Check my linked thread where I show this problem happening in a capture with low ping (so no, this isn’t a network latency problem).
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/stuttering-problem-video-evidence-with-low-ping-and-system-info-june-2023/31191

Here to raise this thread from the dead.

This just started happening to me as of this morning, not sure if there was an update or something, I didn’t change my PC at all.

Game usually runs at a solid 100-144 fps, depending. Since this morning after changing zones, sometimes after a certain amount of time, the FPS would drop noticably, giving me an awful stutter. Despite being able to visually see (in the flickering flame of a braizer in town) that I was actually rendering something like 5-10fps, the in-game fps counter was showing me 50-70.

So, it was reporting improper FPS, which is strange. Stranger still, I noticed that Diablo 4 was using a WHOPPING 10 GB of my available RAM. I have 32gb so it’s not like the system was struggling, but I have never seen a game use quite that much ram, especially not one that my 1660XT can run on mostly ultra settings very well, up until today. As of typing this and after restarting the game, it is hovering around 6gb with 120fps in Kyovashad, which is expected.

I am running High texture quality. I have both foreground and background FPS set to 144, on my 144hz monitor with vsync enabled. I have disabled hardware acceleration in battle net launcher, as well as set it to shut down when the game is launched. My drivers are up to date.

I have messed with pretty much every setting that I can, and the problem seems to persist. D4.exe is allowed on private networks.

Restarting the game every 15-30 minutes is a huge pain in the buns and I hope this gets addressed soon. Didn’t realize how prevalent the issue was until I typed it in google.

Edit: After about 30 minutes of gameplay I’m back to the actual 10/reported 60 FPS stuttery nonsense, D4 is eating up 11.3GB of RAM.

I am getting the same as previous people and running similar specs.
i had no problem in every stage of beta only on launch, there has to be something in the code that is making this happen and its really annoying/frustrating when you can fully enjoy the game and at time feel like just loggin off so you dont have to put up with it.

Please Blizz fix this issue

I’m also having the framerate counter display inaccurate fps. It says I’m pretty much constantly at 120 (I have it capped at that since that’s the refresh of my monitor), but I can tell easily by looking at the picture that it’s far less than that - my guess is between 30 and 60 fps. I’m not getting much stuttering - just pretty much constantly working as described above.

I’m on a 4090 and 13900k, and I play in 4k. My gpu and cpu hardly seem to work hard at all while playing this game, so not sure why the framerate is so low and also not sure why the fps counter is inaccurate.

I’m not getting low fps its jumping from 200fps then down to like 30-80fps causing it to freeze or stutter.
I never had this issue in beta, early access or the 1st off of launch, it just randomly started about a week ago and its totally random.
I am monitoring gpu, cpu and ram, they are all running fine, i have updated everything and tried soo many “so called fixes” and nothing works.

This has to be something on blizzard end in coding or server.

1 Like

I have found a work around for me (that is acceptable to me because I have no faith that “Activision/Blizzard/Diablo IV” will actually fix anything). This has fixed it permanently (99%) of the time. I still get occasional freezes and drops, but nothing near as bad and it comes back very fast. No more being stuck in “10-20 FPS”.

I am running it on “Ultra/High” settings and all features activated.

Disclaimer #1 This is what worked for me.

Disclaimer #2 You will have a white bar at the top of your screen that is very small (depending on your monitor).

Display - Windows mode (be sure to use the window interface and maximize it).
Resolution - This will show nothing (blank).
Sharpen Image - 6
HDR (off)
Vertical Sync - (on)
Limit cutsceen fps - (unchecked)
Lock cursor - (checked)
Peripheral Lighting - (off)
Color Blind filter - (off)
Max Foreground FPS - (150) - My monitor is a 144Hz
Max Background FPS - (150)
Quality preset - custom
Texture Quality through → Screen space reflections - all set to the highest settings
Distortion - (checked)
Low FX - (unchecked)

Disclaimer #3 Obviously it is your computer, your hardware, your game. It is your responsibility to use whatever caution needed to keep your hardware safe (temps, power, etc.)

Disclaimer #4* Again, this is “ONLY” what worked for me and my system.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.