Frame Rate Hitching / Stuttering on PC 4090

EDIT 15 MAY: Please read the first blue post below in regards to the information Blizz needs to look into this and sending through your log files (Frame Rate Hitching / Stuttering on PC 4090 - #75 by Joynueer)

I’ve had this issue in the last beta and was hopeing it was something that would be patched or fixed with gpu driver update but I’m still experiencing the issue with the server slam.

The game’s frame rate randomly stutters or hitches, sometimes it can happen within a few seconds of each other, sometimes it can take a minute or so for it to happen. In between the hitching the frame rates are completely smooth sitting at least 200 at max settings at 4k.

My current build -
CPU - i9 13900k
SSD - Samsung 980 PRO 2TB
MOBO - Asus ROG Maximus Z970 Hero
PSU - Corsair RM1200x
RAM - Corsair 64gb 5200mhz DDR5

I’ve tried a number of different video settings in game to see if it would solve the issue, including vsync on/off, lowering the quality settings. Capped it at lower frame rates. I’ve also tried closing some backround processes, for the record I’m running on a fresh install of windows 11 and the only one I thought might be the issue was the Asus Armoury Crate software, which I have uninstalled. All drivers have been fully updated and I’ve also tried running on previous versions of the Nvidia drivers. The only other game I’ve really been playing is MW2 and it doesn’t have this issue.

The issue isn’t making the game unplayable but it’s kinda killing it for me, considering my build should be running this without any issues. If anyone has any fixes or ideas on anything I could try to fix it, would be much appreciated.

24 Likes

same i got a i9 13900k, samsung 980 pro, rtx 4090 and i am getting pretty bad stuttering while playing, not sure if its lag or the game, happens in menus also

3 Likes

Game not even playable here.

11th Gen Intel i7-11700K
MSI Z590 PRO
32gb ram
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB nvme
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070gt
Latest nVidia drivers

Task manager shows no resources are maxed or even at 50% - so reducing textures or FPS in game is pointless (but I tried anyway to no result/impact)
Reboot and reinstall also ineffective. Guess I’m not playing this weekend.
Sure won’t be spending $90 on this in June if this keeps up

5 Likes

You guys are fine. My GPU out of nowhere goes crazy, the fans sing the saddest song ever and than crash, out. Meanwhile limited FPS both from game and NVIDIA (RTX 3060 laptop) , turned on vsync and the last time I not only got dopped to desktop but i got the blue screen, on a brand new machine… feels like is either decide if I want to test more solutions but risk burn it…

2 Likes

Yea ive had same issue for all the betas so far. Runs smooth as butter then every little bit it just all sudden drops to 50 fps sometimes lower. Ive tried everything.

RTX 3080
I7 12700k

5 Likes

Happening to me as well. Happens intermittently but when it does I’ll fall down to 30fps randomly and the stutters will freeze frames while the character is still moving. Have died several times to it. Makes it unplayable. Glad they’re showing us reasons why we should wait before buying it lol.

R5 3600
32gb RAM
RTX 3070

3 Likes

@Rigsby I think this is the same issue as me. I’m still tweaking things to try and work out what the cause is. If anyone knows any good monitoring software or ideas on how to diagnose the issue let us know. Only thing I’ve really noticed so far is that the power draw of the gpu drop when the hitches happen, using the nvidia experience overlay (which I have also tried disabling). Don’t think this is the cause though, rather a symptom.

1 Like

Yep, same thing has happened to me. Another player showed me a screenshot of his hitching issues, and this is pretty much exactly what I’m getting too. I’m also on a 4090, and high end CPU.

It did it after a cutscene to gameplay transition as well and crashed the game… Blizzard, this needs to be fixed by launch!

2 Likes

I have almost constant stuttering just moving between rooms in the first dungeon. It is definitely related to hard drive reads. My hard disk (SSD) has not stopped reading since I started the game. It isn’t on constantly, but it is also never off for more than half a second

I have older hardware (GTX 1060), but this still exceed the minimums, and my GFX are set to Low. GPU RAM usage is at around 85% of (6 GiB) and my system RAM is only at 42% used (of 64 GiB).

For me, D4 is next to unplayable. Except for the world boss achievement, I would just drop this and walk away.

Like everyone else, there is no obvious bottleneck. I am seeing stuttering when:

• watching cutscene playback (minimal, but noticeable)
  • Walking around the overworld
  • Walking around the dungeons
  • Worse when mobs appear

In every instance, the hard drive activity light goes solid for the duration of the pause. While this is generally at most a second per pause, they can chain to a few seconds if the area (I assume) it is loading contains more objects than average (a room with objects is the most likely to stutter vs an empty room), and especially if there are mobs present.

In short, I doubt that the issue has anything to do with the video cards involved. The game just seems to live on the hard disk. Even while writing this, game just sitting in the background, the hard disk is pulsing erratically at around twice a second on average.

Assuming your PC has a hard disk activity light, I would suggest trying to correlate hard disk access with the stuttering.

4 Likes

I don’t have a working hdd light on my system, is there any software you can use to monitor it? Also which SSD are you using?

I have the same issue and have had with all betas. It can happen while standing still or moving, no mobs or lots of mobs, max setting or lowest settings. It feels completely random and is making playing the game not fun.

I will probably refund my collector’s box and game until this is fixed, honestly.

Same issue here. 4090 + 13980HX laptop.

1 Like

Tried everything, this is so disappointing, basically got new laptop for this.

I notice the last time I got overheated was when i plugged in the laptop battery (for a few mins). Could the power consumption/usage be of some role to this? Where can I see the setting, maybe when it is plugged in overrides some frame limits that I ve set and thats why it goes bad.

Just guessing here, please share your experiences.

1 Like

I have similar issue to you except I’m using a 7950X3D and a 4090.
The past 2 betas were flawless, 4k max settings around 350-400 fps. This new Server Slam beta I’m only getting 250fps and lots of intermittent stutters, when I look at HWInfo64 the effective clock for 3DVCache die goes to 5050MHz on all cores when the stutter happens.

1 Like

I’m usually not one to complain that much, but this Beta is really trash for me (and im not talking about the nerfs).
I played for combined 40-50 hours last 2 betas, 96% was great (server disconnect not considered).
This beta i have so many frame stutters its awful, even in small dungeons. reducing graphics, playing with DLSS, reducing graphics to Mid-low does not help at all. Kyovashad (or however it is spelled) makes me almost puke how suttery it is.

RTX 2080 TI, 3700X (older hardware i know) 1440p.

last 2 betas playing on high (almost maxed) was no problem at all.

3 Likes

I am having the exact same issue at the moment.

My current build -
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU - RTX 4080 MSI

This needs to be fixed. Previous Betas run smooth so far, but this one here with that stutters / frame drops is annoying and keep me away from playing more.

I tried to tweak everything, but no seetings fixed it. @Blizzard please fix it!

3 Likes

Same here.

With a 3080, i7 12700k, 32GB DDR5-5600

This is depressing. Mostly because there is not one official reply to this other than “remove dust from your case” what is complete first lvl support bs.

About to refund my 100 bucks if this problem doesn’t get acknowledged and adressed soon.

3 Likes

Same here. Fix the game pls.

i13400+3070rtx+samsung 990pro+32gbram

4 Likes

same here. Lags already in the menu
rtx3080+9900k+32gb+970samsungssd

preordered the game, closed beta: lags. tried all possible graphic settings.
refunded the game.

tried the open beta: same lags
tried the server slam: same lags

2 Likes

Hey guys i seems to experience stuttering also, its constant stutter, after 5sec its smooth and goes back again. I am literally hearing my GPU stutter in the same tempo as in the game. Could any of you confirm if its the same as in the yt clip?
link to yt video

I have played alot of high end game and in non of these got any problems with gpu.
spec: 5060x, RTX3070, 32gb ram, M2

2 Likes