Story & Necromancers [Feedback]

People are already at full speed posting feedback about classes and how they and the game plays, so I’d like to post some feedback on my experience with the story and the interactions there-in, specifically about the Necromancer.

I speak now to those who heed a darker call. Those bold enough to cross the line of Sin for deeper knowledge, who’ll follow an unquenchable yearning, born of blood and bone…To unlock the forbidden secrets and foulest black rituals, calling forth life from death. To truly embrace this power, you must take it into the world. But you will be shunned, scorned…marked as a living sacrifice to this profane knowledge. You will be a Priest of Rathma. A Necromancer. And you will not confront the darkness alone. We are the Speakers of the Dead, and the Dead have no mercy.

Having played through the story available on beta I am very optimistic but I couldn’t help but feel disappointed with the lack of connection my Necromancer had with NPCs and the story as a whole.

I’ve listed a few examples:

• NPCs do not reflect that I am playing a Necromancer, they have no fear nor disgust for what we are and what we do, I feel way too accepted when we’re supposed to be feared outcasts dealing in the darkest of rituals. Even in their most desperate time of need, people should question themselves twice before accepting help from a necromancer, should we offer it.

• Necromancers interaction with NPCs, seem too compassionate and not the cold logical responses I was expecting from a shunned outcast. (In fact I think all dialogue are mostly if not the same for all classes?)

• Neyrelle and the Resurrection Ritual, I think Necromancers should have a unique dialogue here considering the subject.

• Finding Rathma, I expected some neat interaction with my character here to reflect the fact that we literally find our creator, the reason we Necromancers exist, but instead my Necromancer come across as if she barely knew who he was…

Voice-lines

I feel like there is a lack of self muttering that I’ve come to expect from previous Diablo titles such as when:

• Defeating certain enemies.
  • Finding unique/or a lot of loot.
  • Entering dark and/or ominious places.

Maybe it is intentional to maintain the feel of a darker barren world, but I personally think there should be some monologue and if done tastefully should not break the immersion but add to it.

And on that final note, immersion. What I just noted down are a few things that I feel are missing and that has lead to moments where I couldn’t quite connect with the story as much as I would’ve liked to, having more of unique dia/monologues for each class would add a lot of flavour and depth to the game. I think addressing some of the points I made here would offer a more immersive experience. Let me know what you think, or if you have something to add in the comments.

Cheers!

4 Likes