SSD drive a necessity

Just thought I’d chime in on my lag issues.

Originally put D4 on my 3TB regular drive as my 256gb SSD was nearly full.

Rest of my rig meets/exceeds minimum requirements but game was nearly unplayable at times. Certainly I do think this is in part to the well known server issues.

That said, I deleted a bunch of stuff off the SSD and moved D4 over. Very noticeable improvement in gameplay. I also ordered newer 16gb RAM as my old is 8gb and not nearly as fast as what I ordered. Hopefully these 2 changes make a huge difference

Anyhow, hopefully others won’t make the same mistake.

If you don’t have an SSD, I’d certainly consider buying an upgrade!

Maybe others more technical can chime in

It’s the best upgrade you can make for the price, they’re so cheap now.

1 Like

People with NVMe drives are having stutter and asset loading issues. It isn’t just platter drive users. Though at this point, with CASC being as inefficient as it is with regard to enumeration and how its index system works, anything slower than an SSD is going to be abysmal for any Blizzard game using it.

1 Like

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/251518

1 Like

SSD or better is standard on consoles and PC and is a huge upgrade. Developers can only support old tech for so long.

1 Like

SSD is the bare minimum for gaming. NVMe is preferred.

The D4 install is the size of 2+ blue rays, for reference.

1 Like

Yea I ended up deleting a few games on my SSD just so there would be enough room for D4. I tried it on my regular drive and it sucked. I still have WoW running on it oddly enough with O issues save for a slightly slower load time.

I use a reg HD and it runs fine. 8 gb ram is low for gaming though

1 Like

You should just get a nice SSD so windows doesn’t take so long to boot. lol

Windows and most games are sitting on a Nvme firecuda, however I always throw betas on a HDD, old habit since some betas can have alot of debug logging running at times, not sure if this game does. 85% of the time its been fluid so far.

Guess Ill know the difference in June when I put release on the main drive.

1 Like

External SSD (1GB/s rw) also works without any issues at all

I’m currently using a 3080ti, 5900x, and 64GB of RAM, but unfortunately, I’ve noticed that my game frequently stutters, particularly when loading cities or transitioning between different zones. It’s quite disappointing, and I can’t help but feel that the game is not optimized as well as it could be.

1 Like

I mean yeah you shouldn’t be trying to install new games on ancient technology.

Are your drivers up to date? Which settings are you using? Or could be that it’s server related issues?

I have an RX480, a 7 year old i5 and 16GB, with no issues at all. With medium settings everything runs well, although a little hot. Lowered some settings and everything is smooth

I’m baffled that the game has so “long” loading times between dungeons on an nvme ssd. In 2023 this shouldn’t be an issue at all :man_shrugging:

I want to clarify that I’ve ensured my drivers are up to date, and I’m running the game on max settings. My wife, who is playing next to me, and my friend, who is also playing, have both reported experiencing the same stuttering issues as I have. While it’s possible that the issue is server-related, I personally suspect that it’s related to the game’s “no loading screens” feature, where scenes transition without interruption, causing a momentary stutter.

I don’t mean to insinuate that you’re not telling the truth, but I must admit that I’m somewhat skeptical that you’re not experiencing this issue. Perhaps you haven’t noticed it, or it doesn’t bother you as much as it does us.

I think I know what you mean.

I was assuming that‘s definitely a server issue, as the server kind of has to transition you from one zone/shard to the other and sync you up with other players and all the mobs in the zone.

But yes, as always we can expect many performance issues being fixed between beta and release, as well as the first few weeks after release.

The load stutter is plaguing all Blizzard games since 90s. They just can’t manage to fix that for some reason, more than 30 years now. :smiley:
That being said better than ssd is an m2 that is not ssd but pcie, then no more load stutter.
But by design the stupid bottle neck is alway the loading data from “slow” disks and through front side bus trhough pcu via cache to memory then into gpu and gpu ram mostly.
Win11 bought some new features to get stuff straight into gpu ram but I honestly cba to upgrade to win11 just for that one feature that needs to be supporting this feature into the game or it wont work anyways.

Load Stutter is a Blizzard feature. :smiley:

Also: Solved the stuttering and rubber banding by dropping graphics settings - #5 by Vales-21999

I don’t think it’s a hardware problem because both my wife and I have gen3 M.2 SSDs and high-end motherboards. My guess is that the game just isn’t optimized well enough.

1 Like