Solved the stuttering and rubber banding by dropping graphics settings

I am using a 3070ti and was running on High quality settings. Had consistent stuttering and rubber banding. Ran across a post saying this was linked to vram usage and texture size so I dropped to medium quality settings and, whammo… no stutter and the game play is smooth.

If you’re dealing with a lot of stutter and banding this might be worth giving a shot. Kudos to the OP of the thread I found! Haven’t been able to find it again or I’d link it.

2 Likes

This is exactly what fixed it for me. Was unplayable with High settings on my 1080Ti. Both video and audio massive stuttering even when standing completely still.

Lowered to Medium, restarted the client, and it fixed about 90% of my issues. Still a little stuttering in towns, but I can live with that. I know my card is old, so I don’t expect miracles.

High textures filled my 8GB of VRAM (2070) and was the reason it stuttered, I put them on medium and worked quite well for the rest of the time.

I had to drop to medium even on a 3080; it would play smoothly most of the time but then rubberband/stutter randomly when loading new areas/mobs or walking into buildings. Even on medium I sometimes encounter the issues when there are lots of reflections (ice, etc.).

The game is still chewing up all of the 10 gigs of vram even on medium. I have to assume this is an optimization issue and/or v-mem leak because, frankly, the graphics aren’t showing all that much (view distance, etc.) to justify all that memory. It’s definitely the memory because the game is only using about 70% of the 3080’s power.

5 Likes

And here’s me on a 3060 (8Gb) / i7-9700k / 32GB RAM on max settings wondering what you guys are on about.

Their servers are trash that’s the rubber banding
… the stuttering is what you’re fixing by lowering your settings - with my settings I’m seriously not having as much issues as what you guys sound like you’re having and I’m seeing your graphics cards are a lot better than mine.

1 Like

When I lower the setting I get no rubberbanding, at max I rubberband regularly in some areas. I originally thought it was lag, but it’s not.

Dropping to medium didn’t do much for me, it’s slightly better but still mostly unacceptable.

Task manager was showing ~9GB of memory usage on medium texture, but 18-19+GB on high. 3080 was struggling on high as a result.

This is way over the 3GB (medium) / 8GB (high) texture suggested VRAM in the video options, so hopefully it’s just an optimization thing that can be address before launch.

1 Like

Quick update. I’ve seen rubber banding twice since posting this. once in town and pretty significant but short lived and once in a dungeon run. I think it was the archives. No stuttering at all.

That’ll happen when you load everything 3 times instead of once. Somewhere there’s a dev with an Urkle face right now.

Did anyone else have issues with rubber banding when trying to enter or leave an area and have to logout and log back in to be able to get to where you were going? Like when trying to leave town, my character would just run in place like there was an invisible wall.

I was able to improve performance without lowering graphics settings by increasing the page file size in Windows. Might be worth a try for some folks.

I’ve noticed that the game stutters during scene transitions, even when I lower the settings. My wife and I have both experienced this issue - I have a 3080ti, 5900x, and 64GB RAM, and she has a 3060ti, 3700x, and 32GB RAM. From my observations, I think it could be due to the game’s lack of loading screens or poor optimization. Instead of loading screens, the game transitions between scenes, which could be the cause of the stuttering.

I have a 3080 and have had the same experience. I hope it’s fixed on launch

It’s a known issue and they’re working to fix it.

“High RAM and GPU usage occurring on select hardware.” - That’s what’s causing the stuttering.

2 Likes

Apparently - it’s the graphics cards that are rubber banding you and stopping you from transferring from one area to the other… /sarcasm

Honestly, it’s their servers.

Stuttering can be reduced by lowering your settings so it doesn’t stress the computer as much.

But rubber banding is purely a server issue.

My sarcasm in the post isn’t directly at you personally dude :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far I haven’t heard a single AMD user complain about graphics performance, and most of it is from people with 1000, 2000, and 3000 series RTX cards (all of which greatly exceed their recommended level). It seems like a strange thing to have issues with, though, since those are some of the more popular cards… You would think they had been tested internally.

stuttering on my RX 5700 XT has been terrible, I’ve had to lower to Medium and it’s mostly better.

This should not be the case :frowning:

I have to drop from ultra down. I was rubberbanding in town and etc

specs
msi rtx 4080 16gb gaming x trio
asus proart z790 creator wifi
32gb ram ddr5 6000mhz
adata s70 blade 2tb gen 4 nvme

i had to do same , lowered my setting almost eliminated all stuttering