Season Content Being Retired Instead of Moving to Eternal Realm

I really do not understand why the seasonal content can’t hit the eternal realms as well at the same time. The season realm has the leaderboards and all that. Usually in a season there are extra systems that grant more player power. When the season ends, the game then reverts to the base state and that player power is gone. Who would ever play that character again?
I don’t care if ideas overlap and it becomes a terrible mess, seasonal content should go to the eternal realm either during or at the end of a season so the eternal realm will have a plethora of content spanning all seasons. That way, at some point, the eternal realm will have more content than a new season.
Obviously keeping all ideas can be a disaster and some can totally miss. But player power and new content e.g being able to kill bosses for rewards or if rifts were added back in. Just move that to the eternal realm, give people more choice.
The base game is already barren and reverting back this state after a season… I can’t see anyone touching their seasonal characters again.
Also, it would be cool to be able to play new seasonal content on the eternal realm with older season characters. Obviously the eternal realm has no leaderboards and they should not, that’s what the season is for.

4 Likes

Same reason they didn’t in D2 or D3, they want everyone to play the season realm. Even more so now with battle pass coming out.

Not saying I agree with it, but that’s essentially blizzards thought process.

2 Likes

If it’s like Diablo 3, the powers and popular content added during seasons are added to the eternal ream at the end of the season. The same goes for the characters - they are moved to the eternal realm with all of their seasonal progress and you can continue playing them there.

2 Likes

I am just finding out that seasonal content is not transferring to the eternal realm after the season…This is so terrible…I am not sure if I will use my prepurchased battlepass I was planning on checking it out when season one comes out now it seems pointless.

1 Like

Anything you unlock from the Battlepass should be permanent and carry into the Eternal Realm. Where did you hear that isn’t the case?

I think they mean the non-item content. The stuff you play through in other words.

As I suggested in another thread: People who make this suggestion have no experience in the live-service space and how bloated these games get.

Retiring mechanics is a good thing.

4 Likes

I agree, seasonal content should carry over to the eternal realm (and later seasons) IF it was well received. Path of Exile does it and it works great.

The added content (over time) would greatly help the game.

I’m not saying “give us insane season mechanics that makes us crazy powerful”. I’m saying: Give us FUN season mechanics that feel rewarding and engaging that can add to the base experience.

It feels like a total waste from Blizzards side to simply not re-use successful season mechanics.

I think I speak for all the players when I say we want generally more content. Way more content. And we don’t like when it’s taken away from us afterwards.

2 Likes

Not only are they not going to move seasonal content to eternal they plan on some seasonal mechanics to move forward in to the new season. It’s going to come down to bloat (indulgence) verses rot (starvation) neither are very healthy for games or real life.

So in D3 they had some really powerful seasonal themes and effects and if that all went to the eternal realm afterwards and persisted it would absolutely have completely broken the game and trivialized everything.

Seriously would have been horrible and made it pointless. So if seasons in D4 are anything like D3 then putting all that into the eternal realm and letting it all be around forvever would destroy the game.

1 Like

some of them probably will later on

if they do all of them it will be too much

I kind of like the idea of the latest seasonal content only being on season server, BUT then all the seasons “borrowed power” gets shifted to eternal realm(or possibly another realm) to mess around with as a full mish mosh of uber items.

I think the big issue for just giving it to the eternal realm, is those uber items that are “borrowed power” would make things imbalanced, which is why I suggest ANOTHER server for the mish mosh. Allow you to phase your game to your favorite season too to farm those borrowed power items. A smorgasbord server, if you will. Playing the most recent season shouldn’t require too much incentive, but if it is an issue, maybe start the smorgasboard servers 2 seasons later.

1 Like

Also they have come out and said effects and mechanics that are particularly popular in seasons may be added into the game as permanent features over time by putting them into the explainsons they plan on producing.

I agree, as long as it is well received and does not do something dumb like add 2500% player power then it should just become part of the game even if the power is stripped out. It really makes games better to keep the seasonal stuff that adds fun content.

When seasons come out very few people will stay on eternal and even fewer will return to Eternal after a season because character is weaker and all that. They don’t need to balance the Eternal realms once a season comes out. The eternal realm can be the fun bonkers carnival of craziness and the season be the leaderboard and new stuff.

I understand you can’t move all ideas, but the good player power and the new content that feels fundamental should be moved.

1 Like

They never said seasonal content will never make it to eternal, they said that after a season depending how people enjoyed it etc it might make it into the base game, but it will be a case by case situation since it might create a lot of bloat, powercreep in the future etc.

3 Likes

Can someone give me an example of what a fun seasons mechanic would be in D4, specifically one that hasn’t already been done by D3 or PoE.

we dont know how big leagues are, but something in Hell would be pretty cool since we cant really go there.

Fight harder version of season bosses for exclusive rewards, maybe a new kind of them that can be socket on gloves.

Something cool to do in strongolds maybe some kind of td style invasion

1 Like

What’s likely to happen if you look at PoE, is that new seaso al mechanics get moved to standard server if both devs and community had a good time with it.

Just let the Eternal Realm run the season journey synchronously, and there is no need to be forced to create a character (level 1 and reset economy) setting (similar to Destiny 2, The Division 2, DI, etc.), or a better and novel mode !

Let the season mode continue to use their D3 old-fashioned way, and there is no need to change it. I even suggest that it may be more challenging to be more hard-core. After the season journey is over, the character will be frozen directly, and there is no need to put it into the eternal realm !
Just keep your ladder rankings, achievement stats and rewards, and carry over to future Season Modes(level 1 and reset economy)!