Season 4+ updates ruined game Stability Horrifically for Hundreds of players

Most of the time I start the game and get to the character selection main menu, the game either just freezes or freezes and I have to manually end the exe in task manager. The 3% of the time it doesn’t crash when I finally click on something it has a 50% chance of crashing again. If it doesn’t crash when I click on my character I want to load, when I try to load in it either hangs at “queued game start” and crashes after a bit, if it doesn’t crash I sometimes am able to load in after 5 min of a black screen and music. If I open my UI too soon after loading in my game freezes and or crashes to desktop.

I have tried a full reinstall to have the same issue either immediately or after an hour of playing normally if by some miracle I manage to load in.

I have all the latest drivers and updates for Windows 10, everything was perfect before the update. There have been no fixes of any kind that have affected in any way this issue that has been affecting, from what I can tell just on these forums alone are hundreds of people who can no longer play their game. There are dozens of posts just like this one and still, they have not addressed it. They have to know that there is something seriously wrong by now right?

It is a combination of Their UI, Servers, and a memory leak that all need to be fixed. anytime you open up the UI there’s a massive freeze for most people even on the beefiest computers, people elsewhere on the forums have found memory leaks as well. The servers aren’t connecting properly, probably from instability hangs/freezes/stutters causing stuff to de-sync/ call back time out or whatever you want to call it. Whatever they did under the “increased stability and performance” thing on the last few patches they have released, royally messed something up and I think they are realising that they might have to redo a bunch of stuff to address this issue and there isn’t a big enough stink for them to do so yet :frowning: I have only been able to play a couple of hours the last week, a few min here and there before crashing. I have literally tried for multiple hours every day to get the game to work to no avail. I just spent my money to buy the game for my brother so we could play together when the new season started…

I was able to play with no issues before season 4. Please blizzard/diablo devs, Push this to the top of the to-do list.

Windows 10 AMD 1090T Nvidia 1060 6GB , 16 GB ddr3 + 16-32 GB of pagefile, installed on an SSD. All drivers to everything are up to date and were up to date before and after the season 4 update when all of this started.

Ive seen this issue from people on Windows 10 and 11, on Intel and nvidia cpus, with and or nvidia gpus, if that tells you anything about the issue.

I would like to try and as many replies from people have this same issue to help get their attention.

32 Likes

I have a crash issue, within minutes of getting into the game. There are numerous topics on it already with lots of replies.

4 Likes

All of these issues started for me since the 5/16 patch. I made the assumption it had something to do with Nvidia cards because that’s what it seemed like they touch. I use a 3070 for reference (And I have seen a lot of people with 3070 say that update ruined things for them.)

There’s been quite a few reports already so hopefully they’re seriously trying to figure out wtf is happening. It’s not my hardware that suddenly changed. I assume it’s probably good to keep spamming about it. Their patches do keep saying they’re trying to do stability/performance upgrades so maybe they are.

Here’s a list of issues… (Some of them even worse after new patch)

1. So when I first select my character, it does the whole queued game start. Some times it doesn’t make it past this point and crashes. However, when it does, it makes me wait three minutes and then I have to select the character and be let back in. This is around 5-8 mins just to get into the game on a SSD.

2. If I open anything UI related, sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn’t. It usually always massively hangs.

3. If I try to travel around in the open world, I get random 3-10 second freezes. Worse in helltides.

4. I can play nightmare dungeons without freezing and I’m assuming the pit. Yet, it’s a toss up whether I’m going to crash during teleporting or loading in. I’ve wasted sigils trying to do this.

5. Generally teleporting hangs and it’s a toss up whether it crashes.

8 Likes

After disabling DLSSSR and Frame Generation, I was able to play Diablo 4 for at least an hour at a time over the last few days without it crashing.

This morning, the launcher updated Diablo 4 and downloaded about 164 MB. Since then, nothing works anymore. Tried a Nightmare Dungeon three times. Crashed! Walked around in the open world. Crashed after 2 minutes.

Excellent work, Blizzard. Really. You know your craft.
From support, you only get stupid platitudes.
With the advice to look for solutions in the forum.
“Let the community do the work.”
Absolutely disgusting.

The game was released almost a year ago and still doesn’t run properly for many players, especially with newer hardware (Nvidia RTX series / Intel 13th & 14th gen).
And nothing is being done about it. Respect!

11 Likes

Same here, the last few updates they released with “performance and stability” fixes seems to have made it worse. After this last small patch, it is crashing even more than it was a day ago.

2 Likes

Hi,
same here, not able to play for days already…
A full re-install didn’t help.
When trying to switch between characters, game feezes, when loading with the last character, I am queued for eternity.
Is there some kind of solution?

3 Likes

I’ll sign up for this, the issue is getting worse and worse since 5/16 patch. Funnily enough, my friend with almost identical hardware has no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

I read in another forum post that with a Z790 motherboard and an Intel 13th/14th gen CPU, you should disable the “INTEL CPU BOOST” option in the BIOS. I tried it out, and so far, the game runs without crashes. Hopefully, this helps someone else.

Really brilliant. I have to throttle my hardware to play the game. Truly unbelievable.

But still, how can it be that something like this has been known for so long and hasn’t been fixed? As long as most players spend money in the in-game shop, the “few” players with problems are probably considered irrelevant and ignored.

i have the same problem since 1.4.0a patch (5/16/24) and it has not be fixed but what annoys me the most is there’s 0 response from blizzard. so no idea if they are aware of the issue or not.

1 Like

Because this issue specifically is an Intel + Motherboard Manufacturer issue. There’s tons of posts about 13th/14th gen CPU game crashing issues around the web AND a few statements by INTEL themselves about these issues.

1 Like

That may all be true, but in my case, I currently have 26 games installed on my system. None of them crash! Not a single one. Only D4. That’s really strange. It also can’t be that you can play one day, and then a patch comes out and nothing works anymore.

Always blaming hardware issues is really dumb. The game is simply poorly optimized. That’s just a fact.

By the way, console players are reporting a similar problem in the forum after the latest patch.

Maybe all the consoles also have a hardware problem.

I would be laughing my head off if it weren’t so sad.

5 Likes

I agree there’s many game issues and always has been since betas.

But you literally stated changing your Intel CPU Boost and you’re not having issues.

Not all games have specific situations which are demanding requiring an absurd spike in power to be delivered to the CPU. Again… .this could be going back to the poor optimization issues… But… the fact stands… there are confirmed intel + board issues that are still not 100% sorted out for 13th/14th gen which you’ve already acknowledged.

Keep the console issues in a different thread as that opens up an entirely new set of issues unrelated to the pc realm.

Disabled the cpu boost and it still DOES NOT WORK for me. AMD user here.

Hey there, i had the same problem with constant crashes and were troubleshooting for 2 days now. Currently im playing for like 30-40 hours without a single crash. Some solutions worked for some hours, others not at all.

The one thing wich finally seemed to help was, installing the game onto my slower SATA SSD wich also contains the windows install. It appears that Diablo4 got a problem with faster nvme SSDs, also it could be related to having my pagefile on the same Drive as the Install. But im not sure about that point.

Try to install it onto a slower SATA SSD and/or the windows Drive. I hope you guys have the option to do so, aswell that this Solution works for you at all.

Cheers

This is not an Intel issue, i have a ryzen 5800X paired with 6900 XT, 32 gb or ram and the game is rebooting my pc everytime i pick my character.

They messed with the code like 3 days ago, the game was really smooth, 200 fps most of the time, now i cant even play.

2 Likes

While its not rebooting my PC, the game will disconnect and crash every 2 to 5 minutes
58003xd
6900XT
64Gb ram
WD Black SN850x
I’ve tried 2 other drives and nothing is working, including a slower drive. I’ve done a complete reinstall 3x, on each drive.

3 Likes

I have almost the same hardware, and is weird, game has 8GB ram usage, 4 to 20% Cpu usage and still reboot my pc XD

the game is not rebooting your pc.

check your event viewer > windows logs > system
figure out what is causing the critical errors (not just diabloiv.exe)

video card / driver issues
bios issues
windows updates issues
windows driver issues
cpu/gpu temps / ram issues

there are issues in the game sure… but why is everyone not having these issues?
because the issues pertain to something on your system.
nobody wants to hear the truth… but full BSOD issues are not the game’s fault.

Sure, its the only software that makes the pc behave like that. But is the pc.

2 Likes

post your crash image to something like imgur here with `` outside the link to post the site or keep complaining with no answers.
imgur.com

also, with all these complaints … if there are issues that you want resolved. tech data / information is what fixes them… not tears and whining