Season 4 Honest Review

Update Its not thaaaat bad. I did put in 2 hours on the summon necro and just steamrolled to 60. Way easier but it does feel like things are just given to you. Not sure how the end game will play out but I decided to see.

The real insight I’d like to throw out there is that this “Loot Reborn” patch should have been tied into the expansion release. Season 4 should have just gotten an actual new season theme / feature that feels fresh and fun to play with. We all knew the loot attributes were a problem. This issue should not have been addressed as a ‘Seasonal Feature’ IMO. I didn’t even stick around long enough to really see those changes. What I picked up really fast was that I was going to be spending my time in hell tides that were never really fun to grind in the first place. With all that said, I will pass until the next season or expansion release.

Please don’t misunderstand this thread as hateful as I truly appreciate the effort the team is putting into the game to revitalize the IP that I once loved a long time ago. It might not even be the game, it could be me. Though, I don’t think Diablo caters to a new audience but from the fans that have stuck around for better or worse and because of that, its going to be harder to please that crowd with iterations of the same thing and no real innovation.

6 Likes

I like the art and music. I don’t really care about the gameplay.

3 Likes

My view would be that if someone still fundamentally dislikes the core game, it’s the wrong game and genre for them.

They have pushed the Action part of ARPG which makes it great for blasting. Helltides are just chaos and it feels great if that’s your thing. However, all this efficiency and density has a tradeoff and that is the RPG story and immersion elements. This isn’t a Zelda or Elden Ring experience and it was never going to be.

I do think players at this point need to look in the mirror and ask do they actually like the ARPG genre or not? If it’s the later then you probably were never going to love the game in the first place.

13 Likes

They would have sold significantly less copies if they could not show they could make it better before the paid expansion.

7 Likes

They finally made the game feel like an arpg.

I wish this version of the game would have been the initial release but Blizz really rolled their sleeves up and went to work to make improvements.

If this trajectory continues D4 could eventually become awesome.

9 Likes

No matter what they do, someone is gonna be unhappy about it.

22 Likes

I’d just like to say I like your review. You give an honest opinion about the issues you have with the game. Now I may not agree with your opinion, but I’ll give a +1 anyway because it was well thought out and respectful, and we just don’t see this as often around here.

Good luck in your future adventures, and here’s to hoping you find a game you can better enjoy. :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

They totally would, this is the final push to get people to like the game enough to spend money on it again in a few months. Honestly, it feels like they did a pretty good job to me. Granted I am only a couple hours in, but things seem really positive to me.

4 Likes

I love the ARPG genre, but these bastardized versions are created by Devs who don’t even know the genre they are building a game for. And it’s even more sad when the specific company has a game in their library that epitomizes the genre (i.e. D2). But no, these Devs need to steal ideas from other companies instead of using the brilliant ones that are already under their umbrella.

It’s not the the players affinity for the genre, it’s the Devs not understanding what made the genre amazing in the first place.

7 Likes

well from my pov you need to do late game activities before making any opinions.
But so far i’m at lvl 90 and the game is actually D3. And D3 was not ARPG btw it was cookie clicker. Will see how my mind changes after uber new acitivity aka PIT. LMAO

3 Likes

If you still dislike the game at this point after the the major changes that have been made, Id strongly suggest moving on. This game just isnt for you and thats fine. Not every game is meant for everyone.

2 Likes

“There was an issue, I don’t like that they resolved it now instead of later. And btw, I didn’t play enough to see these changes.”

Valid point.

1 Like

the crafting is decent, need investment to create good gear is not single handed which is good, NOW, they need to fix game activities, centralize tasks, such as the pit for master working and dung for glyph exp, give those NMD a purpose, decent boses a progression, de-attach and ubers like Duriel from materials and attach it to real activities, then you get a game, anyways the dificulty is zero, getting to 100 is a joke, Listening to all those suggestions has harmed the game so far, but I know all the casual dads wont be able to beat a mid hard game, so yeah

you are kinda right but there are some circumstences…

Devs never promised us D3 reborn or D3 ressurected, and look where we are? If they told us that it would be D3 reskin from the beginning i bet that noone bought it more than for 15 bucks. And even this is questionable.

4 Likes

I disagree. The loot rework needed to happen soon or else it would have made them look dumb. They would basically be telling the player base “We didn’t put in the work to make the changes so many asked for. Buy our expansion though.” At least this way, they know where to take the expansion to hopefully not disappoint again.

And the codex was a big stash problem. Now they are all in one central location and easy to find with a quick keyword search.

Appreciate the respectfulness of your opinion though. Kudos

3 Likes

I’ve gotta be honest, this all sounds just about entirely backwards to me, but hey, I hope they add something with the expansion that you enjoy. :v:

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I though about S4, a big refactoring but still the same content (bosses, dungeons, skills…). It’s more like an upgrade of the game mechanics. But there’s still this issue of boring Tomb Lords and Blood bishops in almost all NM dungeons…
I guess I will wait till S5 then.
S2 with vampirics powers was fun though.

1 Like

by your logic grim dawn is not a arpg then. No wonder this game is how it is smh

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t quite understand their point. I felt like he was more so trying to make me feel bad about not liking season 4. I love arpgs and just put 50 hours into V Rising which was a blast to play again since early release.

2 Likes

imo they have pushed out RPG factor from ARPG again. Same thing they did with D3.

But i predicted that this will eventually happen, cuz you can’t build good ARPG on D3 core.

Look guys - tempering ,masteworking and other layers of randomness is just bandaging. It could be fun for 1 season.

But still this game is lacking it’s main purpose - loothunting. Same as it predecessor - D3.
You will never feel a dopamine hit in D4 when you see smthing on the ground. Absolutly same thing was in D3. Let’s be honest we all knew that from the beginning. It’s an arcade with it’s COD Rifts, ok pit now(thanks D2 for iconic location LMAO), braindead leveling, Glyps aka gems and etc.

Let’s see where this leads, but to say that they added action to the ARPG is just ridiculous.

4 Likes