Rod Fergusson is incredibly out of touch

Those streamers have thousands and thousands of hours in HC usually already in other arpgs

I am almost certain I could compete for top 100 if the race started in Season 1 rather than release.

https://i.imgur.com/CvVj5gg.png
2 Likes

And the streamers still have an advantage there, becuase no one else can put in the kind of time they do to understand the game inside and out

Presumably there are a lot of closed beta players who will have even MORE of an advantage than streamers will get this week. Lots of non-Blizzard employees who have months of experience with most or all of the game.

well, good thing it’s top 1000, go for it if you want, if you get it, sweet, if you don’t, it’s not going to be because of 100 reviewers

Presumably there are a lot of closed beta players who will have even MORE of an advantage than streamers will get this week. Lots of non-Blizzard employees who have months of experience with most or all of the game.

Which is why the race should start in Season 1 rather than Season 0. When everyone is on an equal playing field.

4 Likes

it’s launch hype publicity, that’s why they’re doing it now

While he’s wrong, people are blowing this way out of proportion. There were 1000 entries to win, and only 30 streamers got access. Most of those weren’t going to play HC at launch anyway and the few that were came out and said they are not planning to claim the prize.

Can’t people just politely say why that’s an incorrect statement and move on and not try to create a 24 hour drama fest? The guy is also probably stressed trying to get a smoothe launch that’s less than a week away.

3 Likes

If they’re smart, they’ll sponsor the same kind of race every season, and people can decide which achievements they actually care about.

it’s launch hype publicity, that’s why they’re doing it now

That’s not a good reason to jeopardize the integrity of a race.

2 Likes

There’s no integrity to be had, if there were they would just be sending them out to the top 1000 players not requesting twitter screenshots.

It’s just a publicity stunt

1 Like

Truth be told, I do think streamers are overrated in skill. This isn’t to say that they’re not good players, but I’d say they’re not 1% players.

It’s a flaw with Diablo in general. The leaderboards/ladders in other games are more based on how much time you’re able to put in, or how big of an army you have to prep zones for you, over your actual skill.

One of the streamers a while back, made a video how Diablo 3 conquests use to be prestigious, but now aren’t. The thing is, the conquests were never hard. Rather, the leveling was tedious. Once you got past the leveling and gearing phase, the conquests were a piece of cake. But that use to be 20+ hours of prep.

Diablo 3 ended up getting power creeps and other stuff, so that now leveling can be done in under an hour. And all of the sudden, those streamers were no longer placing on the conquest leaderboards.

But the issue here is, since the game became easier, we’re actually seeing less variance on the conquest leaderboards in Diablo 3. If conquests are so easy that anyone can place high on them, or leveling so easy that everyone can level quickly, then why are the same 10 players always on top?

What happened was the game changed from a marathon to a sprint. It went from something that caters towards streamers skillsets to a different skillset that favored efficiency. And while they might be decently efficient, they’re just not top tier in that aspect.

Now, I certainly don’t expect your average gamer to catch up to them, even if it was delayed to Season 1 instead of the start (which is my personal preference). But I’m almost certain that if it was delayed, so that other players would get a chance to learn the game, Streamers might go from top 50 of the contest to 500+ positions down. They’d still place, but who the best players are would almost certainly change.

1 Like

There is a max of 1000 people this could possibly effect…and 950 of them probably already had the headstart…as anyone even thinking of getting this…would need several days off when it starts…and if you aren’t willing to get headstart you def were not taking those days off.

My friends and I were all willing to headstart. I don’t even care about the P2W argument.

The problem is however many reviewers and players they had in the beta have an enormous advantage. All it takes is 2-3 dedicated people to write a guide which they will share with their friends first. Secure the top 1000 and then they’ll release it to the plebs.

This game is more about information and building your character appropriately than mechanical skill. Time investment and knowledge is all you really need.

I mean, i was speaking more on the time availability for the streamers. Your avg person probably isn’t taking off on friday/mon/tues and is only playing over teh weekend.

Your avg person probably also isn’t going to patiently wait out launch issues like they will

You know Rax is one of them and with the NDA lifting on the 30th he is publishing everything on his site on the 30th…time for everyone to read it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, did Rax say he was publishing a guide on every boss fight, world boss, their moves and damage types?

If yes I’m deleting this thread right now.

Most of the senior seniors and people in charge who first made this game have left?

Rod F is just here on a part-time job!

After reading the seniority of the person in charge, don’t be too surprised by his reaction!

He said he was publishing every build and full leveling guide the second NDA drops on the 30th. He has like 40 pages or something ready to just hit upload on lol

I mean, likely as much as he did, him and wodj write for maxroll

I think there are a lot of streamers who really are very skilled and others that just like to play video games.

What I am really curious about is how many streamers there are in total. I saw one of them say it was just 20-30 people. I saw some streamers who streamed every day about D4 the past few months and didn’t get an invite and others who have said they don’t even play HC and aren’t interested in going for the prize.
So how many people really have any sort of advantage and is it even worth crying about?