Requires version 1909 of Windows 10? really?

Sounds dumb to be limited, but you can always try Mac! Oh wait…

I remember downloading Windows XP on Kazaa and being shocked that it worked. I hated Millennium that much.

I wonder if a version of some software D4 uses (third party engine stuff, their cheat stuff, etc) just relies on something that released in that version of Windows?

It is amusing announcing that you’ve got a security problem connected to the internet. Think of it this way, if you update you’ll only have to worry about it until 10/25, when they completely stop supporting Windows 10 altogether!

The issue is that the error “needs version 1909” might be related to battle net forcing Windows 8 compatibility and not the user having an OLD OS.

My windows is 22H2 and I still get that message ! Trying to figure out why. Here is the version history of W10:

/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

Upgrade to win 11. These ‘issues’ you stated don’t exist.

Who the hell doesn’t upgrade their OS… Is your version pirated or something? This feels trolly and just straight up personal accountability. Win 10 is old news now. Especially with newer hardware and consoles(DX12, newer games). I’m pretty sure it’s only getting security updates for the next couple years then it’s retired.

Stop being a crab apple and upgrade. It’s time to move on.

*Damn necro thread lol

Its not a Windows problem, I’ve contacted Microsoft and I have the most up to date windows on my system. Its probably an error of battle net forcing compatibility mode to windows 8.

Its sad that there is no more betas to test, blizzard has to fix that sh** !

D4 takes advantage of DirectStorage API which requires Win 10 ver 1909 or later, that would be my guess.

3 Likes

If you think Windows is harassing, wait until your wallpaper becomes a ransomware demand.

Because reformatting, reinstalling an old version of windows, old drivers, and all your old apps is gonna be soooo much less work than just updating windows.

Bingo

“Third, only Windows 10 version 1909 and above will support DirectStorage when it becomes available. If you haven’t updated your copy of Windows 10 in a while, do so before trying to activate DirectStorage.”

EDIT: Of course, this dudes running his OS on a 5.25" floppy, so there’s that as well.

2 Likes

Please keep your PCs up to date, those windows updates come with security updates that prevent exploits.

I almost flunked an assignment because windows automatically updated, preventing me from demonstrating an exploit in a cyber security class.

It does it’s job. It’s worth the inconvenience.

The consumer versions EOL in Oct. 2025. LTSC versions (which can be legally had if you look around) have varying EOL dates based on the build; 2025, 2026, 2027, 2029 even 2032, basically 10 years of support on that specific version.

These do not get feature changes to maintain a stable environment which is the whole point. Only the 21H2 LTSC version would be new enough to support DirectStorage.

On days when I thought I had seen it all…nope! These forums are nuggets of gold with the people like this that seem to have grown bricks between their ears instead of brains.

I made great efforts to be ready to login right at 3pm EST so that I would not get stuck in the queue during the server SMASH!!

Logged in… and it said I could not lunch as my nvida driver was not upto date… from like a week or two ago.

AGGGHHHH!!! I was like… welp im in the queue now baby!

I thought that was weird to be so picky about my graphic driver being a couple weeks out of date… but dang my guy… that update is from 2019?

Also, Zero queue issue all weekend. Either good job on that Blizz or like… a lot of people bounced and didnt bother trying out D4.

Is an API, so more the driver being compatible with whatever a studio decided to do for that game. As an example SQenix only supported Win 11 with their DirectStorage calls.

I’ve managed to remove the Battle.net forced windows 8 compatibility, but I can´t test if the game will work until release.

1909 is old af. Upgrade already.

So update your OS and drivers? That is very basic maintenance.

They’ve already said that if you got a potato, you can play it.

it’s 2023 dude time to move on from years old outdated OS versions

As told many times before, majority of the cases is Battle.net forcing windows 8 compatibility by DEFAULT, its not the player OS

As told many times before, majority of the cases is Battle.net forcing windows 8 compatibility by DEFAULT, its not the player OS !!