Rares Are Useless Now - Bad Decision

Filter based on affixes, and you will barely see any item. Then ppl will cry about lack of golds.
Item level, rarity and weapon base (shield, focus, wand, dagger, … , because other items slots are strictly identical) is enough.

I’m pretty sure that Blizzard still want us to check every items we pick. Allow affixes filtering and this aspect is gone.

Just use a dump stash to highlight potential good items with the search system, and vendor the rest, that will save you some time and cover the “affixes filter” part.

it was a QUICK work around making a loot filter…

and yes set items if they come to D4 will also do the same for the current loot system…

and temper while sad RNG is at play, its a way to keep you looking at your loot even after your character is endgame’d geared… its lazy programing that took the least amount of cost to implement the biggest change…

one would think programers making 7 figures a year with this kind of short cut to quality game systems… but we all know it gets sucked up by just 1-2 people (CEO ect.) and that ruins the quality of product they can make

The changes they did has made sifting through an inventory easier. To me its clear they just don’t have a solution how to make rares useful yet and that is fine given the time constraints they had to solve a problem.

Basically less affixes and simpler affixes (ie no “damage on tuesday” affixes) = easier and faster to determine what to salvage.

Is having 3 affixes the max for readability and easier inventory management now? Maybe? Maybe not.

For example a quick look back to D2 where rares had something like 6 affixes but it was easy to go through because if it didn’t automatically have +2 skills on an amulet or dual leech on a ring it was basically trash. If it did have those then you would look for the next important stats like + to HP/mana, resistances. So in essence you would still only look for 2-3 main affixes on rares in D2 to easily determine if its good or not.

On the other hand, look at rune words in D2. Despite them having 10+ affixes it wasn’t an issue in the same way sifting through an inventory of D4 rares was. Why? Because they weren’t randomly generated affixes. You only needed to know the name of the runeword and know if it was good for a build or not because they had the same affixes every time which means you could automatically know that making an Enigma or HOTA was good. Sure, you could analyze the affixes further but in general you knew what a runeword was good for so you only needed to know the name.

what they could do is let rares at higher levels roll better stats so you could get a rare with perf skill stats more often or crit lucky haste stuff cooldowns which might make you sacrifice a leggy with int to get the other 2 just right might be tricky another option is allow peopel to find x number of rares with same mod then use them to make a chant happen and itll give the item a chance to chant the attribute thats most common of the x items then they would at least serve a purpose and make chanting a bit more directed less mega rng if you fix the chanting i think the tempering wont feel so bad since you would get a better shot at a decent item more often

rare-spawn items aside i think those need to become something again.

But normal rare, my thoughts are its the time window of usage that feels off, I did use and temper some, in normal gear, but WT3 was pretty much not bother by then it was all leg and maybe a nano second of a sacred rare , maybe tempering one is i had no decent leg replacement. and i would print on it. But then what happens is i basically want to do bare bare min building on gear to get to wt4, which was easy to do, so is it bad idk. Once in wt4 i stopped caring as the rare tier can be left behind and happy to look at legs and GA legs and above.

So while it still has room for improvements. I am not sure if its rare problem as much as i would rather them add manuals for us to temper than worry about rare items being viable. As long as there is a tier to hunt which there is 3 atm in the tempering range, this would be something they could polish so the tiers have there own identity more.

Overall i don’t miss them anymore tbh. BUT FIX RARE SPAWNS, please…thank you.

Holy wall of text batman

I re-watched the May 4th dev update today on twitch, they made mention of the rares and said they have some kind of plans to address that, but now vendors seem to serve no purpose in at least what they sell.

1 Like

In my view, loot filters should never hide items, merely highlight the ones that match.
With some color gradient based on how well it match (2 or 3 matching affixes, 1-3 GA and such)

Maybe also, as an option, auto-mark all other items as trash for easy selling/salvaging?

Players like myself and others posted feedback on the PTR forums about this. We stated rare items had become entirely useless.

Devs didn’t give a F.

We were right, meanwhile the naysayers and Blizzard brown nosers from back then are silent now.

Idk why loyalists think suppressing feedback is a good thing; it only stifles improvements.

Things have improved, but there’s still a lot left to do to make this a better game.

2 Likes

Allow Rares to have 2 more normal affixes than legendaries (and imprinted legendaries). As well as having 2 tempering affixes, and up to 3 GA affixes of course.
Maybe in some cases that would allow a Rare to compete with a Legendary.

another thought let rares drop more crafting mats or come with a rare chance at a value mod that makes them 10x the vale and sell like uniqes for 300-1mil gold
that will kill gold farming and make gold a lil easier to come by for the in game use you want so desperatly for it to have

This is the best change they’ve made since launch. There is no part of the game I hated more than sorting through mountains of rare items, 99% of which would be useless but all of which needed to be individually eyeballed to verify whether that was the case.

If sorting through hordes of mostly useless junk looking for pearls is what gets you out of bed in the morning, well alright then, but please don’t inflict your strange fetish on the rest of us. Personally I love hitting that “salvage all rares” button. It makes me happy.

Legendaries are the new rares. I don’t really see the point of having rares with as many affixes as legendaries with legendaries being so common.

Legendaries can serve the same purpose as rares since you can put any aspect you want on it from the codex.

If you think the current loot is a downgrade, you’re missing something drastic.

Rares are to be vendored for gold. Anyone actually pushing endgame knows how important it is. New loot system is essentially an item filter, which is awesome.

Early - Pickup rares.
Mid - Vendor rares for gold, pickup and CHECK legos only.
Late - Vendor rares and legos, only CHECK GA items.

This is a great system. Cut down on the amount of time reading by an insane amount, built-in loot filter, there’s really nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you just like the color yellow?

1 Like

I’m used to POE loot filter, and being able to hide something that I will never pick whatsoever is something that I really look for, as it reduce clutter. But POE is … well another level of clutter for that matter.

1-2-3 GA are already highlighted on the ground with their icons number, and unless you want a color gradient in you inventory, I don’t really see the point of coloring them. There is not enough diversity in loot yet to justify having to color code what you want to pick ihmo. That said, being able to customize the look based arbitrary parameters won’t hurt at all.

For the easier sell/salvage, considering that I use dump stash and search (which could be greatly enhanced by the use of simple regex match), I’d love a “sell all my inventory” button.

I thought at somepoint they introduced ‘auto salvaging’ for rares and lower? What happened to that? This way it’s ‘filtered’ but we get the resources automatically.

There was buzz about this like six months ago, wonder what happened.

Yeah I wish rares didnt drop in WT4. You get so many regular legendaries which sell for more.

They need to auto salvage those because they dont serve any purpose and are a waste of time to even pick up in wt4.

Yeah, but you are unlikely to be interested in all 1GA items. I am talking about highlighting items with 2+ of the affixes you want, which also happens to have GAs, for example.

Agreed. But this is also a thread about Rares being useless. My premise here is about Rares becoming useful. Which makes some people afraid of having to look through more items again.

1 Like

Loot Reborn is hundreds times better. Do not go back to the inventory scanning 101
I love hitting the salvage all rare button

1 Like

That was back when it was possible for normal rares to drop in WT3 and normal and sacred rares to drop in WT4. They made a change in S2 I believe so that these drops would just drop as materials instead of forcing you to pick them up and cart them back to town to do something with them.

This season they wisely made it so only Sacred items drop in WT3 and only ancestral items drop in WT4. Why they ever did things any other way is yet another baffling design mystery.

1 Like