PS5 version is causing overheating and shutting off the console

Played for 6 hours or so and got a couple warnings but never a full shut off. Made sure the PS5 was clean and has good airflow, even got a fan blowing on it now. As soon as I load into the game now I get the overheating warning, and within another minute or two it shuts off the console. Only fix so far was to install PS4 version which has not crashed yet. Sucks being locked to 30 fps tho :frowning:

4 Likes

Mine just started shutting off as well. I don’t get any warnings for overheating though. It shuts off with a loud sound on the monitor.

3 Likes

Having the same problem. Paid 100 bucks for the game and its not even optimized enough to run safely on console. Can we get a reponse to this issue please Blizzard?

3 Likes

Is this really a thing? Hasn’t happened to me yet, but it shouldn’t be happening to anyone?

Happening for me as well. PS5 warns about overheating then shuts down after maybe 10 minutes of gameplay. All the fans are clean; the PS5 is almost brand new. The exhaust air is only slightly warm; the unit is not hot.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s the same for me. Played for days without issue then today I got the overheating warning seconds before it shut itself off. Already cleaned my ps5 and rebuilt the database. Everything else works fine but after a minute or so of starting D4 it happens again.

3 Likes

I had the same problem

4 Likes

Well, it killed my PS5. I can still play PS4 version but now games like Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok also overheat and crash. I have well over 200 hours with no issue between those two games until I played D4. Luckily my PS5 is only 6 months old so I’m sending it back to Sony for repair/replacement. Hopefully Blizz can figure out what’s causing this before they brick a bunch of PS5’s.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity - as a PS5 player who is not seeing this issue (although I am getting severe lag and rubber banding) - are your PS5s horizontal or vertical? I have watched YouTube videos on how PS5s in the vertical position can start overheating due to the thermal compound sliding down but I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed by Sony.

After I saw those videos (my PS5 was only a week or two old) I started using the PS5 in horizontal mode just in case and I have never had an overheating issue. It runs super quiet as well though it is only six months old at this point.

1 Like

Same issue here. Doesn’t appear to be specific to PS5. Found posts mentioning the same issue on xbox and PC.

2 Likes

It does make a difference
My Ps5 was cutting out every 30 minutes. Just on diablo
Switch to horizontal and seems to be fine. :crossed_fingers:

This is happening to my Brother with his PS5 too, says the only other game he has had this issue with before was D2R… can’t be a coincidence?

1 Like

I tried both vertical and horizontal. It’s been horizontal on a shelf since I got it so it was only vertical for an hour or so while I tested it out. Crashed just the same in either position. Just mailed it off today and shelled out for the PC version so I can still play :frowning:

2 Likes

My PS5 actually died. Middle of a dungeon black screen, no loud sound of ventillation or anything. It tturned off. Looked like overheating, but the console wasn’t too hot. I unplugged it, rest it for cooling down. Reconnected everything, then now I cannot even turn on the PS5…… tried every trick from the internet, nothing worked. Seems like it dosen’t feel the electricity… now goi g to the service point maybe they can help. :confused:

3 Likes

My friend has the same issue when we are playing crossplay. he is on Ps5 and I’m on XBOX Series X. It will crash if he is in his inventory or if we are in a more heated battle. In the past few days it has started shutting down much faster, whereas before we could at least play for a couple hours before it crashed. He can play any other game and trying to see if he can play alone without it crashing. Still crashes when he plays solo.

2 Likes

So my PS5 is about 7 months old. Last week, it suddenly turned off and wouldn’t turn back on. I’ve tried new cable, ejecting/inserting disc, and plugging it in directly to the wall and no signs of life.

Today, I went to the place where I bought it, and the repair tech told me it was a motherboard issue. He took another PS5’s motherboard, which had power issues and swapped in mine.

I came home and downloaded and booted Diablo 4 and after about an hour or so, it turns off by itself but this time it does come back on, I try again and after about 20 minutes, it turns off again.

Can someone help me out?

3 Likes

Mine is still at the Sony repair facility and I haven’t received any updates. I’ll post an update once they contact me and tell me what they found. I’ve read a decent amount of posts with similar overheating issues but it doesn’t seem to be extremely common. Most threads I’ve found seem to lean towards a power supply issue or an issue with vertical PS5’s getting hot and the thermal paste leaking down causing uneven heat distribution.

2 Likes

Same problem here. I think the video gpu is overheating. My hdmi cable port was super hot when it shuts down. No problems with any other games.

2 Likes

I just bought a PS5 for this game so this is not what i want to hear. Since the game came out ive been mostly playing on PS4 to get the last usage out of it before transitioning to my new 5.

Ive put maybe about 2 hours total gameplay on the 5 (and to make sure my character is insync). Obviously Ive had no issue for limited usage, though now im worried but I did buy one of those fans that goes underneath that is supposed to keep the system cool.

Sadly my console is also now one of the victims. It’s completely dead and won’t start. Fortunately, I paid extra for extended warranty so it should be replaced for me, but that doesn’t address the issue that seems to cause multiple machines to potentially be damaged by a Blizzard product. (do I hear class action lawsuit? any lawyers in this forum?). Doesn’t even seem to be only PS5s, I’m reading of same complaints on xBox and even PCs. That all points back to the game, not the individual hardware companies. It seems the common thread is that the game may be over-working the hardware components. Maybe we the consumers need to make more of a stink about this so the big companies can’t sweep it under the rug. A lot of people are shelling out a lot of money for hardware and software, expecting that software not to destroy their hardware. Is that so much to ask? I do love the Diablo game itself but now I can’t play ANY of my games and right now, I’m blaming Blizzard. Maybe Blizzard would like to address this issue and prove they are not at fault? *that’s an open invitation to be pro-active

4 Likes