Pls remove Monster scaling!

Scaling sucks now, but it will be better for the end game. Hitting for a trillion damage and only removing 2% of a health bar is pretty lame game design.

This way the numbers stay under control.

2 Likes

u cannot compare it with d3 because in d3 game begins after u reach lvl 70.

2 Likes

maybe diablo 4 has the same? the full game isnt out yetā€¦

Scaling is perfect how it is, it needs only a bit tweaking i need with lvl25, notlvl 24 or lower gear. The most time it is 10 lvl under the character level, that seems strange.

Do you seriously prefer Diablo 2 where you have to farm the same stupid cave in Act 1 on repeat to get the best gear in the game?

What D4 is doing is the best way to handle a narrative driven experience. You can do your side quests and MSQ in any order you want. You donā€™t have to worry about getting murked by some murder baby just because you got to Act 3 and donā€™t have good enough gear.

Honestly, as good as D2 was, itā€™s dated AF and a lot of itā€™s systems are trash.

1 Like

Beg to differ - The game (D3) starts at level 1, and there is a whole campaign built around a player to level up in.

However, many players have done the campaign mode and dont want to repeat, which is why there is Adventure mode. Again, the game starts at level 1 and the mobs scale up as you level to keep the challenge constant. (And if your gear outstrips the mobs you can up the diffiiculty from normal to T6).

What a lot of players have forgotten is that itā€™s trivial today for a player to be boosted to 70 in minutes. This negates a lot of the original levelling process, and why some players say ā€œreal D3 starts at 70ā€. It doesnā€™t, it starts at 1 like any other game, but has become trivialised today so any player can spend a couple of minutes ignoring the levelling process and start playing at 70.

2 Likes

There are better ways to do scaling.
This one is just lazy. We have world tiers for a reason.
Seems simple enough to have the basic world tier be ā€œmonsters do not scaleā€ (this would be a level experience that guides you through the campaign in a preset route like classic diablo games"
tier 2 be ā€œmonsters scale to your levelā€ (ala adventure mode)
tier 3 " monsters scale to your level +20% hp/damage or whatever"
Insert extra tiers as needed.
Just as an example.

10 Likes

No monster scaling is perfect as it is thank you.

1 Like

Yes please. I had no idea No wonder I am stuck with my sorceressā€¦ I leveled her up twice because I couldnā€™t get past Lilithā€™s minion and I still canā€™t. This is frustrating. Leveling up should actually mean somethingā€¦

8 Likes

Its not a leveling problem, its a build problem. Learn to read the tells of the enemy. Sorcerers have a much easier time than Barbs.

No. Keep monster scalingā€¦just remove it from the smaller local zone bosses so you can come back after getting your butt kicked for some payback.

1 Like

The issue is that at level 11 with whites I melted the act one boss far quicker and more efficiently than I did at level 25 with full legendary gear that was max upgraded and I was using consumables.

7 Likes

well, there are plenty of games out there that make it better in my opinion. Even Zelda Botw has a better system to scale monsters, like when you reach a certain breakpoint in the storyline, calculated by various aspects of progression of your char, all monsters upgrade to a stronger version, which is also visually emphasized. (Side note: In D4 it even is hard to see elite/champion versions of monsters).
Or even no monster scaling, e.g. Elden Ring, is better imo.
I mean, in the end as already mentioned here, it just affects the progression until max level and in this sense I think it would be better to shift monster scaling towards the end game but not while playing through the story. You never have the feeling of hitting a wall because you rushed to fast through the story, no need to go back grind some low level areas to get better gear, more xp. etc. or to play around with your skills and items that you have, to optimize. It always just feels equally strong and nothing actually matters what you do, and sometimes it even feels like leveling up makes you weaker.

4 Likes

I think this would be the best solution. Have a fairly set campaign path with zones of different levels. Once you hit max level/finish the campaign, go to nightmare or whatever where all the content is scaled to max level.

I do understand why they went with level scaling though. There are lots of freedom to run around, do side quests, to play with friends who are less active in a meaningful way. Iā€™m not sure if that is enough reason for me to remove the feeling and the meaning of leveling up a char in a ARPG.

Thatā€™s not going to happen without completely changing the game. Itā€™s a non-linear story and game. This game needs to be a real challenge and not something people can just grind through like D2.

If people want to feel overly powerful they can go play world tier 1.

1 Like

Scaling is good
It lets you explore anyway you want .
It lets you play with friends (if you have )
without worrying about their or yours level .
When backtracking you still earn xp.

As you level up you gain new skills and legendaries that give you more options to solve problems and make you feel stronger .

This is how itā€™s always been

Because you are not at max level farming gear.

You set level to certain zones. Exactly like in d2. Its much better system.

Then difficulty slider could raise all levels for example.

And no, you dont start at any act. If you make lvl 1 you start in first act.

2 Likes

This!
Problem right now is, that you can actually get stuck in the campain (worst case scenario), when you lvl up (sounds ridiculous right?) and you cant do anything about it, because if you farm you can level up again and the situation is getting worse, only gear can make a different, everything else is meaningless, why do we bother with levels then?

4 Likes

No, its pretty bad game design usualy used to save dev time instead manualy design levels of zones or mobs as itstime consuming. Games with manualy set levels are far better than those with auto adjusting.

7 Likes