Pls remove Monster scaling!

It’s not that the boost as +25% per skill point. It’s that, at max, it’s +25% total.

good thanks. i can move my skills, ill be sure to do that.

Now back to scaling.

he doesnt understand that when you get more stats, the monsters get more stats.

You scale, the boss scales. You put points in to get 25% more damage than the skill had when you had one point in it. You are up 25%. That is ahead of where you were.

Not seeing much reason to go in circles. OP is relentlessly stubborn and anything that needs to be said has been. Good luck with the game.

No, the 25% damage is the total improvement you get with 5 skill points, with each skill point after the 1st skill point giving you only +3% damage.

That means, at 1 skill point, you’re getting 13% damage, which is a nice jump, but 2 skill points is then 16% damage, 3 skill points is +19%, 4 skill points is +22% and 5 skill points is 25%. That’s total, not each skill point.

Enemies, however, are also scaling up and gaining boost, and a lot of times, their boosts are outstripping the +3% you’re getting that level, to 1 skill, because you only get 1 skill point per level.

What do you think the words, “You put points in to get 25% more damage” means? That you spend skill points. You’re objecting to something I did not even write.

because youre wrong dude. Its not additive. That means with percentages its not adding 25% but increasing to a 25% damage bonus overall.

Dude we’ve layed it out for you and still you dont get it.

I disagree. Level scaling suits this game very well. Anywhere I go I can have immediate action.

I’m objecting to the idea that 25% is more than the enemy is scaling, because you’re only scaling +3% per level and not getting 25% in a lump sum; after the initial 13% jump, which admittedly does make you feel more powerful, the incremental +3%s don’t feel like you’re gaining anything at all.

The +13% at the first skill point is nice damage boost, yeah, but then the +3% scaling doesn’t feel like it matches up to what monsters are bringing to the table when leveling up, because your gear, which is designed to match up with enemies of their level, isn’t catching up. I know this because I feel weaker every level unless I’m getting a sweet new weapon, and even when I put skill points into the same skill, it anecdotally does a smaller amount of fraction to the same enemy type’s health I was fighting the previous level. What would take me 1 Rapid Shot to kill off soon takes me 2, then 3 to do so, until I’m dumping an entire energy orb into an enemy and they’re still not dying.

Each level is +1 talent, which I gotta put in the best build going to be divined online or at least the one that helps me aoe farm through the story better. Once I reach end-game then builds actually matter for things like aoe/boss killing.

In diablo 4 leveling up means:

+1 threshold increase for all mobs, and scaling for bosses.
+1 higher item cap I can wear. Going from lvl 16-17 means that lvl 17 gear can have potentially better stats in a vacuum.
+1 potential rank in a skill, but the skill’s damage increase doesn’t actually compete with the bonuses enemies are getting.

What this means is that I am punished for leveling up in the game. Where my power is locked to gear, enemies grow stronger according to my level regardless if I happen to be getting anything of use in a random loot-generated world.

The problem all of the people defending monster level scaling don’t seem to realize, is that every time you level up, you’re not also getting rares/legendaries that are one level higher or have scaled appropriately with the mobs. It wouldn’t be an issue if it weren’t so staggering every time it happened. Currently we all level faster than we can comfortably replace loot UNTIL we are capped at 20. Why does it stop at 20?

Because we’re capped. We can go no further, the mobs stop scaling higher than us. That means the strongest we can potentially be at diablo 4 right now is at level 1 with any kind of new weapon that drops before we hit 2, and at level 20 with a full suite of legendary items set at level 20, and being at 20 in D4 with good gear feels great!

But guess what happens when you hit lvl 21…

Borderlands, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, PoE all respect player power and make you feel like you’re actually getting stronger. The threats you faced as a nobody were tough then but you’ve developed mastery and the only threats you face now are later and later in the game (Or on a difficulty option you can elect into for the sake of + gold and legendary drops). You’re still pining for good drops before you can ascend to the next difficulty, but guess what? IT’S ON YOU, when you want to make things more difficult. Leveling in D4 and mobs becoming more difficult just happens to you.

WoW does the same backwards design that D4 does but worse, because when I get better gear there, the beavers and boars get better gear too.

Edit: TL;DR Mobs scaling with level sucks, thanks for coming to my TEDx talk.

4 Likes

@Skorne
You are 100% correct, I was in a dungeon with a couple of elites and they were kinda tough to deal with. I ran back, leveld up and returned. Guess what? The elites leveld up too and this time they nuked me down.

It is absolutely idiotic. Unless you find better gear on level up, you will actually become weaker after a lvl up. How did a professional game designer ever conceive such an idea?

It’s hard for me to say it because D4’s graphics and atmosphere are really good, but D3 right now is much better and that was not a good game either.

1 Like

I’m with ya… never was a fan of monster scaling, though i kinda get why the devs might’ve thought this was a good idea. The only game (i remember, at least) that had some scaling system (but in reverse, kinda) was with City of Heroes in regard to their world bosses, making it so any level player could contribute and dmg was scaled. Also with grouping/side-kicks to artificially raise lower level chars up to 1 level below their teammate. Otherwise, there was the traditional ramp up in levels/difficulty depending on area/region. CoH did this very well.

i dont know how it works but its kinda cool
To try i played with my brother when he was lvl10 and i was 20.
We both went to a dungeon and we both had a challenge and loot according to our level.
Its cool to be able to play with someone when you dont have the same level.

1 Like

What about all the people who play solo?

You will always have challenging content which is good i think.
Isnt it?

There was always challenging content in Diablo 2, and that didn’t have monster scaling.

1 Like

It’s funny how they claim it’s an open world and you can start in any act but if you scan over the map they have minimum lvl areas so the monsters will be lvl 30 if you are lvl 7 like the top right of the playable area that fort is lvl25 or 30 during the event up there
So it’s a bit miss leading imo as you will not be able to clear all content unless you have lvled up
Put some lvl cap on areas so get a bit of both

the scaling is way too much whats the point in levelling if each level you get weaker. just add a “stop xp gain” npc and we would wreck the whole game at level 1 lol

Some skills are quite underwhelming and drop rates are pretty low

Don’t think Scaling is the problem though (except at 20 when undergeared, that one becomes a struggle)

I also have to agree with this, was like wtf and it grew in me, the challenge is what matters in this game, I got sick of D3 because all the monsters were just same ol blast through and on to the next group, D4 gives you a little more challenge in that sense imo