Player retention not kept even after your gauntlet launch

Before the update for gauntlet there was only a few 1000 people on steam charts and per activeio website less than 200k people playing the game overall from the 7million you had from release. Granted you would lose roughly half after a few months or less as people don’t stay in 1 game. However!

After the update for gauntlet there is still only per steam charts which has factual data:

• 3,776 players right now
  • 5,604 24-hour peak
  • 28,836 all-time peak 3 months ago

and roughly 170k per activieio website which cannot confirm any real numbers of players since its a website not ran by the company (Blizzard) and there is no factual data here that supports their claims of how many people are actually playing Diablo 4.

Diablo 4 Live Player Users -
Online Players (1H) 170,992

So out of roughly 7 million players at the start/release of the game your retention is less than .03% of those that bought the game. Here are the reasons on why you cant keep people playing your game to make money:

• Nobody likes the season battle pass as it only infuriates casual players that spend their money on real life like kids, wife, house, bills, etc. If the game was F2P I could see this monetary model but its not. The minimum box tag is 70$ for the game (unless on sale which we seen alot for you to entice more people to come buy this game) on top of a overpriced cash shop and battle pass.

• Your cash shop is overpriced so much that just like Diablo Immortal you are only catering to the whales with your 60$ skin bundles etc. For 60$ I can buy many other games and get hundred of hours of fun in them so why would I spend that much for a skin or horse in a game? Max should be 5$ for something in cash shop and even that’s a stretch.

• No end game, you recently added gauntlet (AoZ at one point which was a failed design at an end game activity) to try and appease players or bring them back and clearly that hasn’t worked since same amount of people play as before it.

• 0 Itemization

• No hard and soft caps on stats like overpower allowing class’s like barbarian that get 2 additional weapons to build any one stat to insane levels.

• 0 Crafting system with any meaning with absurd gold pricing after 20 rolls of the 1 stat you try to reroll. You then end up getting the same stats over and over never getting the one you are looking for ultimately leading to items costing 2billion a roll making the casual players, or any rational player to give up.

• 0 Runes or runewords

• 0 set items you have spent more time working on trash systems like AoZ and gauntlet for your streamers and this itemization rework (which I hope you do something right with it this time), and balancing that you clearly miss the mark on it every time.

• You claim live service was to stop duping, hacking, etc. Yet every season we have had massive amounts of duping to the point where you just started wiping legit mats from legit players that legit farmed them because you wont spend the money to actually find the real problem.

• You allow broken things to stay in the game for months before you fix it and even go on your stream stating “barb charge is on the line of broken but not to broken so we will just leave it alone for now”, then go and buff this class that has the biggest advantage over every other class due to 2 additional weapon slots that allow 2 more aspects and 2x more stat boosts. Barbs hit for trillions while every other class stuck hitting like a wet noodle.

• You told everyone you were going back to the roots like D2 as a sell pitch for Diablo 4 then go and make the game more and more like Diablo 3 where we have stats reaching 9000% (overpower for barb) and making the grind from 1-100 so easy its done in a day if you play for roughly 8 hours. D2 it takes a week of 24/7 grinding to reach 99 that’s what you should have brought us back to not this D3 get power leveled to max level in an hour by a buddy. Why is it people can still sit at dungeon door and get exp when they are not anywhere near the content being killed? This should have been fixed from the jump but nope not even looked at or talked about just simply ignored.

• You put items behind a gated time sink of killing Uber Duriel instead of just allowing them to drop in the game (not to say they cant drop anywhere with mobs level 85 or higher per your twitter post). However, it shouldn’t take me 800,000 unique items to drop just to find 1 uber unique. They shouldn’t drop like candy but if you spend a few hundred hours killing monsters in NMD or throughout the world in a season you should have odds better than maybe 1 in 150 years to get one to drop. I can’t say what would be a good middle ground on this but adding a way to break down ubers for uber shards to craft the uber you want/need is just another slap in the face when they dont drop already unless you buy mats through RMT sites or like the streamers get fed mats.

• The game is suppose to be fun and engaging not boring and annoying. It just seems like you have to spend 5000 hours a season just to be on top. Of course not everyone can be on top or compete. However, I believe if you just rationalized the gauntlet to allow everyone to be in the same gear and setup for that week when you enter the gauntlet there wouldn’t be a issue of “all the pay2winners (rmt users) or streamers that got all the ubers they need/want will always be on top” issues. Instead it would boil down to who is actually the better gamer. Nobody would have to spend 5000 hours just to be on top and then this adds fun to the game by putting each week different builds to compete in the gauntlet with.

• Allowing uber mats to be tradable was a huge mistake and here we are 2 seasons in and you still have yet to put them as untradeable. The duping would have been fixed a long time ago and RMT sites couldn’t sell them. You could have then also made it to where if you enter the fight for any of the boss’s if you don’t have the mats in your inventory it kicks you out. Eliminating all RMT possibilities.

• Solo vs Group play is out of this world broken and not fair gameplay. Making it to where 4 man teams can get uber uniques 4x faster than solo players puts another layer of impossibility to solo players while giving group play an extreme advantage. For example I can buy Diablo 4 on PC and I can only play my character’s that’s it, but if I buy it on PlayStation or Xbox I can connect 3 other controllers and have a total of 4 players 3 of them literally teleport with me as i run around killing stuff never once having to do or kill anything with those characters but they still get mats from helltide chest, cinders to open those chests, experience, gear, etc. Its just unreal how you still allow this to be in the game.

So my question to the Devs is what are you really doing with this game? If you botch the itemization update that .03% player retention you currently have is going to go even lower till the game is a ghost town forever.

XoXoXoXoXo :heart:

Edit: Per Urza which I fully agree with the Gauntlet should have had an armory from the start, better fairness enforced (all top 100 players are using macros), there should be different tiers to the gauntlet making t70 the start level 1 gauntlet up to t110 level 5 gauntlet.

93 Likes

Steve is back refreshed and energetic as ever. I agree with enough to plus 1.

Gauntlet needs armory. Gauntlet needs fairness enforced. Gauntlet need monster level raised. Gauntlet is a bit of a mess right now.

12 Likes

Thanks for the :heart: bud just trying to get a perspective on what their actual plan is with the game you know. Right now it just seems like another cash grab like the cash shop, battle pass, and expansions will be.

1 Like

They sure keep you on the forums somehow.

2 Likes

Nobody is gonna login to play a feature added halfway through a season. Plus its doodoo.

12 Likes

You make valid points which I’m sure you’re aware many have expressed similarly.
Hopefully this thread doesn’t get flooded by the same trolls speaking their same repeated nonsense…alas it probably will.
“Hey I care about the game! These are my opinions, this is what I perceive …something needs to be done here…”
:troll: 's “Get gud” “QQ moar” “…win button” “…hyperbole” “…slander” “…derailment bait”.

edit: Well done unflagging post CMs.

10 Likes

activieio website is useless, its all fake numbers.

4 Likes

I agree and this is why we begged for them to just delay it till season 4 after the itemization update but they forced it out even after they delayed it 2 weeks from when they said it was going to come out.

2 Likes

Gonna throw this out here: if d4 were exactly like D2 with pretty graphics, I wouldn’t be posting this as I would have just passed the title and played something else.

I agree with a lot of your points, but IMO, game is either about the 1-100 journey, or the 1-100 journey should be fast and the game should have an end game of many things to keep one busy at max level.

This game has no clear dev lead with a vision. I heard they fired the original dev lead or they left, so yeah, its clear we have pain.

I will say that D4 overall is WAY better than the original 2-3 years that was D3.

3 Likes

My number 1 issue with gauntlet is basing it on tier 70. ITs just a joke at that level. You destroy so many builds from competing because of that choice. It needed to be some of hardest content in game so you have to balance speed, survivability, and damage but that isnt what we have. WE just have zoom zoom builds because they made the decision to base it off of Tier 70 cakewalk monsters.

The notion that some ppl are going to be able to compete at lower level is dumb AF. They cant and wont. They will never place in top 1000 so just make it LV 100 and hard content.

2 Likes

Right which is why there should have been tiers to the gauntlet not sure if they should level lock those tiers or not because you will always have the jerk that is #1 on the highest tier going into the lowest tier gauntlet just to be on top there too.

Like for example:

Tier1 monster level 70: Level 60-69 characters
Tier2 monster level 80: Level 70-79 characters
Tier3 monster level 90: Level 80-89 characters
Tier4 monster level 100: Level 90-99 characters
Tier5 monster level 125-150 (like NMD100 is 150 monster level): Level 100 characters only.

This would allow more people to attempt to be the best in their category imo.

1 Like

I want to argue your points but im too busy playing Last Epoch.

13 Likes

I would love to hear your rebuttal though to them, I am also playing LE with the other 200k concurrent players which is leagues above D4 player count right now. :heart:

5 Likes

It’s as I thought tho, leaderboards will be streamers and basement dwellers. I really don’t see how this appeals to the average player.
D4 is just lacking end game - The devs need to seriously go back to the drawing board and overhaul the end game-

Fun is had in D4 between levels 35-80 after that - no fun is to be had.

you basically ramp up to nothing.

4 Likes

Exactly, like what is the point in uber uniques if there is no content that challenges you to the point of needing these items. You hear “uber unique” and most will think its gonna be godly item that will make me soar above the rest! But then you get them and realize all the content you already destroy with ease dies at the same speed.

Yea the shako and grandfather are the only 2 that really stand out with the DR from shako and chd from grandfather but you don’t even need them yet they are locked behind boring time gated content.

Hence they need to put in sets, runes, and runewords in the game so that we can actually play the loot hunting game instead of the farm this boring content to fight this boss that dies in 30 seconds or less for less than a 2% chance at a uber unique that is barely noticable.

2 Likes

It might not take that long to see LE has issues too.

Right? you get these amazing items that you worked hard to get but for what?!? There’s nothing to do with them.

Honestly the only way to have fun in D4 is to roll a new toon, try new builds with it. Fun happens between 35-80. I actually dread reaching 80+ cuz i know it’s when the fun ends XD

5 Likes

I for one like to check in every few weeks/months to see if the game has improved. So far it hasn’t and anything has been incredibly boring and underwhelming. Still hoping to maybe get my money’s worth out of this mess, sunk cost fallacy and all.

3 Likes

This would be fun if I didn’t have to play Tetris and which new mule to use for the gear I find and want to keep. If they had proper storage for items we find then just maybe then it would be fun to reroll another toon each season but as it stands now the measly stash space and inventory space makes it limiting anyone from rerolling another character each season.

Don’t get me wrong some people do but majority just play 1 character the entire season so they don’t have to play the inventory Tetris game.

Edit: O and the lack of a loot filter so that I can concentrate on specific gear and not have to read page after page of yellows till the 1000th page I finally find an upgrade makes it very unfun.

4 Likes

Agreed, i’m on character #4 of S3 and this is my 12th char so you can imagine what my stashes look like XD

3 Likes